Struggling

Thx, hoping to hear the status on some folks that ordered 4.1s last year as part of their preorders or presales.
Unfortunately the presales are likely to be almost the last of the orders for a model that will be shipped. After presales they'll sell the extra stock at the end of the run, but it will take a good long while for them to fill all the orders and get to that point.

I'm trying to look at that more op
Unfortunately the presales are likely to be almost the last of the orders for a model that will be shipped. After presales they'll sell the extra stock at the end of the run, but it will take a good long while for them to fill all the orders and get to that point.[/QUO

I'm trying to take a more optimistic look at this considering Jordyn stated mine was already cut (when asking her the question on which provider did or was going to do the cutting) and should be in the mix of being finished, etc. (not quite sure of the heat treating though). I really would like to here some folks chime in on when they received their 4.1 orders and possible date(s) ordered. After all, what is a good long time equate to considering I ordered this in July of 16? I can see that once Millit gets going the turn-around should hopefully drastically improve but I believe if the 4.1s have been cut for the most part it will just involve shop time depending where the heat treat is on them. Of course it wouldn't surprise me if my recently ordered 5.1 arrives before the 4.1.

I'm trying to take a more optimistic look at this considering Jordyn stated mine was already cut (when asking her the question on which provider did or was going to do the cutting) and should be in the mix of being finished, etc. (not quite sure of the heat treating though). I really would like to here some folks chime in on when they received their 4.1 orders and possible date(s) ordered. After all, what is a good long time equate to considering I ordered this in July of 16? I can see that once Millit gets going the turn-around should hopefully drastically improve but I believe if the 4.1s have been cut for the most part it will just involve shop time depending where the heat treat is on them. Of course it wouldn't surprise me if my recently ordered 5.1 arrives before the 4.1.

Scout1sg if you ordered on 29 July last year it is a presale but at least it was the 1st day of the offering so when they do start shipping out yours will be early in that group to send out. I am waiting on a pair of those from that day myself, will be a good day when they arrive.

FWIW, the 4.1 factory seconds thread indicates that people are receiving F2s ordered in Feb 2017. Not sure why these are going out faster (? - dunno if anyone has been reporting receipt of their firsts on another thread) but I‘d like to think that it‘s an indication that you‘ll be receiving yours soon. In any event, let us know.

I have some information if you'd like specific dates. Preorders for the 4.1 model run from 2015 were closed that November. Approximately one year later they shipped the first unit (it was famous on this forum) and began shipping 4.1 seconds in March of 2017 (I have one from the initial batch of 3V seconds). According to Survive they are beginning to ship the 4.1 in larger batches and will be shipping preorders for the next few months. I take that to mean that they won't start shipping 4.1 presales for at least another six months or so, because they are not known for shipping earlier than the date in their production schedule.

Try not to get distracted by any of the information released about the outside processing (cutting, grinding, heat treat) because those processes are much faster than the Survive shop. Survive is sitting on a big pile of knife components so the limiting factor is how quickly they can finish and assemble them.
For example, the blades and handles for the entire new spec 4.1 model production run appear to have been completed for about a year.

I have some information if you'd like specific dates. Preorders for the 4.1 model run from 2015 were closed that November. Approximately one year later they shipped the first unit (it was famous on this forum) and began shipping 4.1 seconds in March of 2017 (I have one from the initial batch of 3V seconds). According to Survive they are beginning to ship the 4.1 in larger batches and will be shipping preorders for the next few months. I take that to mean that they won't start shipping 4.1 presales for at least another six months or so, because they are not known for shipping earlier than the date in their production schedule.

So if I understand this correctly, they are still working on 4.1 Preorders that stretched to NOV2015?

Try not to get distracted by any of the information released about the outside processing (cutting, grinding, heat treat) because those processes are much faster than the Survive shop. Survive is sitting on a big pile of knife components so the limiting factor is how quickly they can finish and assemble them.
For example, the blades and handles for the entire new spec 4.1 model production run appear to have been completed for about a year.

That would lead me to believe that its still an internal staffing shortage issue than outside vendors doing cutting, grinding and heat treating. I'm remaining hopeful that the end product coming from Millit will assist in the process but at the same time it means more knives (GSO models vs. SK models) will be coming back to the shop for assembling handles and finishing up the edges but if the staff remains extremely short the backlog will continue to remain the same.

Survive has had a business model change but it will take quite a while for the change to be seen.
More specifically, in the future they won't be attempting to fill all the demand for their designs out of their own shop.
I don't have any volume numbers, but it appears that the goal is to reduce the number of GSO knives produced to prevent future backlogs.
The excess demand will be filled through the SK line, which will not require any Survive shop time.
In the meantime they have a lot of GSO orders to fill. They've said that the number of 4.1 orders exceeds any other model so far.
They have chosen not to expand their shop and staff in favor of having most of their future volume made by others, and until the changes to their business model reduce the order backlog the GSO wait times are going to be longer than anybody would like.

...For example, the blades and handles for the entire new spec 4.1 model production run appear to have been completed for about a year.

Did Ellie mention this? We have seen photos of blanks arriving, being finished, and being shipped out, but it isn't clear (to me anyway) that the entire inventory of 4.1 orders is sitting there awaiting finishing and distribution... Then again, Millit commented last month that the first order of ground 3.5 blades would be heading to S!K soon. Depending on how quickly they get to those, we may start seeing 3.5s arriving along with concurrent orders of 4.1s :cool: And then there are the 4LE's that I think Guy is handling entirely in-house...

Yes, and any starter orders for a knife model that hasn't been produced yet are even older.

Yeh I assumed for models such as the 5.1s and any others outside the 4.1s, 7/7s and 2.7s were going to be some time. One reason why I believe the updates in the first Friday updates could be a bit more informational on these models that are somewhat shipping out to give us an idea based on dates ordered, Starter series vs. a standard pre-order/sale, etc.

Did Ellie mention this? We have seen photos of blanks arriving, being finished, and being shipped out, but it isn't clear (to me anyway) that the entire inventory of 4.1 orders is sitting there awaiting finishing and distribution... Then again, Millit commented last month that the first order of ground 3.5 blades would be heading to S!K soon. Depending on how quickly they get to those, we may start seeing 3.5s arriving along with concurrent orders of 4.1s :cool: And then there are the 4LE's that I think Guy is handling entirely in-house...
You raise a good point, Guy has in the past released a few units from each new model when the parts arrive, so we might see a few GSO 3.5 ship sooner. I wouldn't want to get anybody's hopes up that significant numbers of the GSO 3.5 are going to be delivered quickly.
I am making a bit of an assumption about how long all of the 4.1 components have been in house. There could have been staggered delivery from each of their suppliers, but I think the point is still valid that the contracted manufacturing hasn't historically been the choke point in GSO production. There were problems with handle scales but I thought those were dealt with in house rather than through the supplier.

We do have all of the materials for the GSO-4.1 and GSO-7/7 Orders. We have had them for a long time, which means they are all affected by the handle fitment issue we mentioned in the past. There were too many to scrap the lot and buy again so Guy is working his way through them. I am working on some more detailed information which will be available on our website by the end of the year.

All of the handles and fasteners are in for the GSO-4 Limited and we should start seeing sheaths soon. About half of those handles are from before the materials issue was fixed.

The GSO-3.5 blades are starting to arrive, but our shelves and schedule are full so it will still be some time until materials are here and orders are shipping. The good news is that the blade blanks are some of the best we've seen and the handle material issue has been addressed. Those should go together a lot faster than these previous models have.

As for answering emails, Jordyn was a little behind due to a close family member being in a big accident recently but the inbox was completely caught up by the end of last week. She is typically in the office Monday to Thursday from 8-4, but you might catch Guy or I if you call at other times.

We are here steadily working our way through orders. Things in the workshop should start picking up drastically once we start working on the GSO-3.5s. If you are still concerned, we issue refunds. Just know that your orders cannot be reinstated and availability of the GSO Series knives will be dropping considerably once the SK Series is up and running.

I appreciate the information shared by all of you. I ordered my GSO 7/7 while overseas in January of 2016 never imagining that I would still be waiting in November of 2017. I am uncertain what the true issues behind the long delays might be, however I cannot imagine doing business with this company in the future. It’s a shame because I have recommended them to friends of mine in the military and now feel guilty for doing so. I will pass along the above information. Thanks.

Back