Stump grinders are for wimps

Or for people with something better to do with their lives. Either way, I win.
20200111-110032.jpg

I don't know what kind of tree that is but you might think of having it slabbed, nice and thickly. It's not to often a stem comes out with its roots on there like that and the wood can have exceptional grain of value to the woodworker near you. Still, the approach you have made felling it tells me you might not have done it intending to chop it up for firewood. More to your point, I was just remembering today how enjoyable it is cutting stumps out of the ground, as long as they are without tap root, contrary to I think conventional thinking that that work is drudgery.

I don't know what kind of tree that is but you might think of having it slabbed, nice and thickly. It's not to often a stem comes out with its roots on there like that and the wood can have exceptional grain of value to the woodworker near you. Still, the approach you have made felling it tells me you might not have done it intending to chop it up for firewood. More to your point, I was just remembering today how enjoyable it is cutting stumps out of the ground, as long as they are without tap root, contrary to I think conventional thinking that that work is drudgery.

I actually quartered that nice straight section with the chainsaw for carving wood.

How did you control the fall? Leaning the right way to start with?

The top split into two smaller trunks. I trimmed off as much as I could with a pole saw, then I dropped them, in a rebellious anti-OSHA kind of way. I just moved anything they would have hit and let them go where they wanted to. The remaining stump was about 12 feet tall so once I got through all the roots I just shoved it and used its own weight to pull it over.

In
I should mention it was not one push. It was a round of pushing followed by 15 minutes of beating it with an axe cussing, "WTF is still holding it in!" Then finally it fell down and I shotgunned a beer over its corpse and threw the bottle in the hole and burned all the roots.
I like your style good sir.

Back