styles of khukuri and knife you would like to see more of

You know Taco, you might consider custom ordering one of those. If the Kami like it and the community expresses interest it could become a regular DOTD item.

Been debating it. I can't find them anywhere domestic-side. I could fire my forge up and attempt to hammer something out like it, I have 3/8" 5160 from an old hayer's frame. It wouldn't be pretty, but I wouldn't be afraid of beating on it.

It need's to stop snowing first! I don't have one of those fancy pants shops, I have a bubba-d together coal forge, anvil, and hammers. Nothing so fancy as ap lace to do it out of the cold.

I would like to see more of these.
nod.gif

IMG_3433_zps954bded3.jpg~original

Hi Philllll, What are the specs on this Bura Bowie, as far as length, width of the blade, and weight? And I'm curious - in some old threads I remember reading that some of the Bura Foxy Follys had such thin walls at the bottom of the fullers, that the blade would ring like a bell when struck - does this one ring like that?

Sorry Bawanna :D

Bob, oh yes, this one rings beautifully. I will go take some measurements.

Overall length 17.5"
Handle length 5"
Blade 12.5" long x 3" at the widest point x 5/16" thick
The fullers are deep and estimate it's around 3/16" thick in the fullers.
Weight 25.8 ounces

I also have one made by Vim that has similar dimensions, but the handle is longer and the fullers aren't quite as deep. It rings, too, but not as well.

Overall length 17.5"
Handle length 5"
Blade 12.5" long x 3" at the widest point x 5/16" thick
The fullers are deep and estimate it's around 3/16" thick in the fullers.
Weight 25.8 ounces

I also have one made by Vim that has similar dimensions, but the handle is longer and the fullers aren't quite as deep. It rings, too, but not as well.

Thanks for the information, Phillll. I hope someday to be able to add one of these to my collection. if you ever decide to part with one, please let me (or Bawanna) know!

The Cherokee Rose was designed by a forum member, Yvsa, who has since passed on. It was his masterpiece and heavily influenced by his Native American heritage. I don't think it would be prudent to mess with that particular design. :)

I gotta agree with you...The Cherokee Rose IS a masterpiece.. My Mother was mostly Cherokee...Yangdu set me up with a BEAUTIFUL CR...The real feeling was opening the triangle box and holding it in my hand...Could not ask for a better bowie style knife...A masterpiece for sure..

The Cherokee Rose was designed by a forum member, Yvsa, who has since passed on. It was his masterpiece and heavily influenced by his Native American heritage. I don't think it would be prudent to mess with that particular design. :)

And here I was thinking about having a baby Cherokee Rose made. (7" blade, 5" handle)

Back to the drawing board.

I think a baby cherokee rose would not violate the parameters of changing the design, only the size :D-- very doable and not disrespectful in my mind

I'd want one for sure! I'd like it about 8" overall, a micro Cherokee Rose!3 1/2"-4" blade and 4 1/2 to 5" handle. Guess to make the math work we'll have to go about 9 or 9 1/2"?

And make the swedge false, not sharp. We can't have that here in Washington, guess they finger we might poke ourselves in the eye or something.

I'd want one for sure! I'd like it about 8" overall, a micro Cherokee Rose!3 1/2"-4" blade and 4 1/2 to 5" handle. Guess to make the math work we'll have to go about 9 or 9 1/2"?

And make the swedge false, not sharp. We can't have that here in Washington, guess they finger we might poke ourselves in the eye or something.

CA don't like sharpened swedges, but since when did I follow the rules?

California don't like much of anything, surprised they allow chopsticks, they are so pointed.

A false swedge or no swedge at all would be fine by me. I really don't need it anyhow. Keep the overall shape, just scale it down.

If this was to happen I will be like Bookie rolling around like a Mutant Ninja Turtle, not giving up my micro bowie or my hunter. Good thing I have plenty of belt to carry all of it.

If you don't want a sharpened swedge it's easy to file it down to a false swedge or no swedge at all. Or keep it at home and carry one of the other dozen or two knives in your collection. Most HI knives are illegal to carry in many places with or without a sharpened swedge. Easier to carry a baseball bat, and a mitt in case anyone questions your intentions.

California don't like much of anything, surprised they allow chopsticks, they are so pointed.

A false swedge or no swedge at all would be fine by me. I really don't need it anyhow. Keep the overall shape, just scale it down.

If this was to happen I will be like Bookie rolling around like a Mutant Ninja Turtle, not giving up my micro bowie or my hunter. Good thing I have plenty of belt to carry all of it.
Bowies are not legal in Texas. Can you believe that? Technically you have to register a potato gun with the BATFE and have a special license to build them as well. It fits the definition of a firearm:rolleyes:
We need a full line of Micros! 12" Falcata:eek:

Back