Sub 3 inch Spyderco knife with very tough steel?

Out of curiosity, how much nicer is the ZDP over VG-10 that's on the regular dragonfly? I always considered VG-10 a very nice steel for the money though I'm fairly new to the more premium steels. It seems like most recommendations I've seen recently on the dragonfly always add in the ZDP option as a "must".
The ZDP-189 is harder than VG-10, so it holds its edge longer. VG-10 is more rust resistant than ZDP.

If you truly want tough steel, then the H-1 used in the Salt line is the toughest they sell on small folders. In engineering terms, toughness is a measure of the work needed to fracture a sample of the material. Hardness correlates with/is a measurement of strength. Mild (soft) steel is tougher than hardened cutlery steels, but is too weak hold an edge. Generally, as hardness goes up, toughness goes down. Both properties are needed in balance with one another.

I would also recommend either the Spyderco Dice and/or the Para 3. Great knives, and wonderful steel on both. Different lock system and different look to them so you have a choice of dress up or dress down. Shot next to a Delica for reference.

4004fc238540da6322e373e503a4a480.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Darthwayne, just try out a good old Native 5 in S35VN.
20161019_180036_zpsk7acwxgo.jpg

There are a ton of other options for designs, ergos, steels, but the N5 is a great place to start, easy to find for a decent price, and you can base your future needs or preferences from there and go fancier or more specific in use from that point.

The Dice is also a highly underrated and overlooked model as well (meaning you might be able to find a deal on closeout, or lower resale used), has XHP blade which is pretty tough and stainless, and if you want a flipper and RIL Framelock instead of a backlock (although the N5 back lock is nothing to shake your head at).

Hey bikerector, I see you're also in the mitten, welcome to the forum. You bike?

Kiwi 4 is my choice. Light, good size blade, easily pocketable.
b90b904a4430fa9dbe7b31d0d006f88c.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm curious what you mean by "tough?" Tough as in wear resistance or tough as in it won't chip easily?

S35vn is a good wear resistant steel but it isn't as prone to chip as something like S110v which should hold an edge longer.

chip resistance.

wear resistance is good with most Powder metallurgy blades so i dont worry about it..but i hear stories about tip chipping on expensive knives once in a while

chip resistance.

wear resistance is good with most Powder metallurgy blades so i dont worry about it..but i hear stories about tip chipping on expensive knives once in a while

It really is based on how you use your knives, unless you are poking things all the time with your knives. Knife tips are more or less like the screen on your phone, most broke the tip off from dropping the knife onto something hard very much like cracking your gorilla glass on your phone if you drop it and it lands glass down onto a rock/pebble.

If you jam the tip 1/4 inch into a log and start wiggling it left and right, chances are the very tip will still be in the log when you pull your knife out.

Know how to properly handle a knife is the key, the pointy tip is for you to start a surface cut or to delicately slice the tape along the sims to open a parcel box.

So unless you are a "dropper" need not worry about tips, but do use caution and be mindful of the knife you have has a very sharp and pointy tip... like the PM2 but I love them, you can trace cut anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back