Sub-$300 Katana (2014 edition)

Yeah, I grew up in texas on a ranch. My cousin had a taekwondo dojo, so I morphed into something weird. But I did meet Chuck Norris at a tournament in dallas

WOW! Now THAT is awesome! I have never met a celebrity before. Much less a celebrity that is the REAL deal like Mr. Norris. That brings up a Norris joke...

Superman wears chuck Norris pajamas.
The boogeyman checks his closet for chuck Norris before he goes to bed

I've met a few celebs/politicos. Norris was humble and kind, dallas has some really big tournaments. Awesome weapons demos

horseclover,
what all swords do you have and how do you rate them?
I have just two modern Japanese style swords (along with about fifty others. Modern and antique). Neither really relevant in the search of todays market of "best" swords for the sub $300 katana market.

My generation 4 Hanwei practical katana was bought all in at $134 brand new, early 2003 (2002 production). The current Hanwei PK classic has a lighter blade and costs more than $200. My sword has been used as a loaner at a show every year since buying it and the heaviest targets I have cut at were heavy cardboard pallet wrap cores (tubes about 3/8-1/2 wall thickness, about 5 inches overall diameter, tough stuff). It lives most of its life hanging in its bag but has cut many dozen mats and other things. Differentially hardened and sharpening touched up just annually, mostly with a ceramic rod and maybe a dozen swipes all told with a pocket diamond stone in this past dozen years. Those minor touch ups including the kissaki attacking gravel by a self purported expert (size up anyone carefully when loaning swords).

The other Japanese style sword I own is a Chinese made chokuto/straight blade in rosewood shirasaya and has a very pretty T-10 steel blade that was clay hardened. It will be a project down the line sometime or sold off. I grabbed it cheap second hand. I'd be hard pressed to find the Ebay source but new was in the $175-$225 range

I do have one true Japanese antique that was less than $300. A colonial WWI era officer sword used in Tsingtao.
t67y2f.jpg

It is a very slim and slight sword but is plain steel and sharper than it needs to be.
http://www.swordforum.com/forums/showthread.php?110046-Japanese-Colonial-Diplomat-Naval-Flag-Officer

American swords, revolution to Mexican war period. That is what I focus on for study and acquisition.

Cheers

GC

Last edited:
Horseclover,
Thanks for the info. Those cardboard cores are fun to cut with, I've done it when I had an abundance of them. As for the colonial WWI era officer sword, under $300? Sweet find.
It looks great, plus the history behind it makes it a bit more stoic.
Thanks for sharing. You should post some of your other swords, you seem to have an abundance.
Very interested in all you got. One of my relatives fought at the battle of san jacinto, he's on the monument.

Horseclover,
Thanks for the info. Those cardboard cores are fun to cut with, I've done it when I had an abundance of them. As for the colonial WWI era officer sword, under $300? Sweet find.
It looks great, plus the history behind it makes it a bit more stoic.
Thanks for sharing. You should post some of your other swords, you seem to have an abundance.
Very interested in all you got. One of my relatives fought at the battle of san jacinto, he's on the monument.
I have started and participated in a few threads here. My thoughts are already there to read. Any missing photos I can probably scare up from one drive or another (if truly interested and in those threads).

More or less on topic, here is some carnage including those tubes from the warehousing years.

120qi3r.jpg

Cheers

GC

So, Mr. TrueBlue, have you decided on a new toy yet? Dynasty Forge? Ronin Elite? Skyjiro(again)? Have you done anymore cutting?

I have started and participated in a few threads here. My thoughts are already there to read. Any missing photos I can probably scare up from one drive or another (if truly interested and in those threads).

More or less on topic, here is some carnage including those tubes from the warehousing years.

120qi3r.jpg

Cheers

GC

HAHA! That's awesome...

I don't know of any really great katana in that price range, but a good Katana that is sharp, and collected by movie buffs would in my opinion be a RONiN,which fits your budget.

Back