Suddenly you wake and find...

First of all, that would be a bad knock, because a couple of them were gifts from my son. There's no way to replace them.

Like Mr. Graley, I would need another Alox (Electrician),

Fqbxzzj.jpg

because that's my go-to-work knife.

Other than that, I think I would also buy different knives. For some reason, I thought we were talking about which knives in your current collection would you buy again, but (after reading more slowly) it would seem I have the option to start over. That opens things up, and makes this much more difficult.

Second would be a TOPS Pry-Knife.

V1PfqZL.jpg

For the rare times when I need a knife to play in the mud with.

The other two would likely be folders, and I might allow myself some expensive ones. This is a good excuse to look at pictures, so I'll be several tabs away, for a while....

Hmm. I might just replace this eleven dollar piece of mediocrity, and call it done.

cygiial.jpg

I've been trying to concentrate on making my own, but real life and other people's shiny things, keep distracting me. This coping knife is lackluster in every way, but that's the point: it's just a tool. It would be a reason to stop waffling about getting into sheath making, because it doesn't have a clip.

Last edited:
I suppose the easiest way to answer this is with the four knives I currently have on my nightstand--they get carried the most:
n8iq9gq.jpg

Case amber bone trapper
Case amber bone medium stockman
GEC ebony #15
A. Wright rosewood lambsfoot

Of course, my answer could be different in a year.

This is so much easier than trimming my collection down to “which 4 would you keep” because it eliminates the sentimental ones.

As an example: If my Dads knife was stolen there would be no reason to buy another the new one is not his.

Buck 110
Randall Buxton fighter
Buck 212
Pairing knife

Sentimentality is such an anchor!
I mostly agree, but I think that the sentimentality being gone means I would start fresh and pick up four that I never tried before. The more I enjoy this hobby the more I realize that part of what I love is the novelty of a new blade.

She arrived July 8th
For a short time I did have her up for sale as I needed funds but was able to cover the need and took her off the board
G2

48568647301_68760da13b_m.jpg

I could likely survive with these four.

Some version of a SAK. (Or Camillus army knife)

Spyderco Delica or Endura.

Something for swimming, ocean etc. the Spyderco Autonomy.

And one good fixed blade. The Dozier Model 6 is dandy.

(Never realized it, the Autonomy opened is almost as big as the Dozier)

Last edited:
An interesting question: What four knives do I carry most frequently.
Some of my most carried knives are rather obscure. Others are quite common.
  • Ruike S11 (2 inch blade slip joint, 12C27 steel hardened to 58)
  • Ruike M11 (2 3/4 inch blade slip joint with pocket clip. Same steel)
  • Spyderco Dragonfly
  • Spyderco Native 5 with G10 handles.
The S11 is what I carry at work, due to corporate mandates on size.
The M11 is what I mostly carry when I'm not at work.
The Spyderco knives are mostly what I reach for when I want a locking blade.

Now those aren't the only knives that I would replace, but those are the ones I carry most frequently these days, so they would get replaced first.

It sorta happened to me. Last March I came home from work, My house had been broken into and most of my knives were gone. I had these five on me that day. It's what I carry every day. With the exception that I used to normally carried my old buck 110. Once in a while I would put on the new Buck 112. That Day I picked the 112.
MwVsPNV-0PNYEtXGQ45c-gSlAsTafUVTOD9txO2aqk-f-IWUFU6KcAQ8QXp3hndsDmHmU0aqZ9q2llBxAL5tlnY2bHdyiIT5BrWO_fP60N1v2zuwo8xNsa_aH1o2-LD4OPyq6FUWwF7SyC43hpVkUAKg8m6qeETBI4VhrdtRdaTPwKz4vMJ9aApoK-7nuAZtbbrEiy9Qk60h3lOZa2-GRAsWyGyXUeA24i6tVDc3rl1spayWX9MoJFH5aNO18saGNreV7lmEcmI_B3fhhB1ppyoWbfjhWiPalC1ihuxaf8680Bao-0oGjhaEy9YCA2fdkyililN-q89CrprUZG-gKB6VSI77yXr5UglW7xU8pbATvY04JvMnTUXRthkga5IRjrI_OiheVR-0uKLCpJQ-rbtJ80du1ypjEgCCYdS6xq2NcfYWVgiv9eA6wz116oTLYx3leVS01NvrRG_WPynP5t9oh-5SsIBwJJ52tjR859oL7g34BhlU1fB1ywRUEv8IAT4nfV4NtMZOde0mI7_zTeDa1O_6sWvDjTVVKy-uzdq5A1c6m-K-NVVpCuLtk5QW0aJv_LQjGg7da52-F7-yX_bWduw5FoIskLcpBz8x-WspndBSbIoC4eA0sORFxVg8TcFkr1A3A3AE42kBL9eRaKUPeQwckr7qgwg2cXoxXLlB3_eyzsPwLXAdIlBkeU6SRF93gZfrzgCtp0I1CFCB83d6=w1024

Buck 112, JK knives mini mouse, Victorinox Swiss Champ, old Colonial stockman, Boker carvers congress. Those five will more than do everything I need to do with a knife. The buck 110 can't be replaced, but this 112 makes a good substitute.

This is so much easier than trimming my collection down to “which 4 would you keep” because it eliminates the sentimental ones.

As an example: If my Dads knife was stolen there would be no reason to buy another the new one is not his
Sentimentality is such an anchor!

This is so true. Still hurts when the &*%$$ thief steals the knife you carried for 40 plus years.

O.B.

There would be little sense, or fun, in covering the same well trotted ground again. I would probably just take up another hobby, like building nice chairs for guests.....

electric-chair-3d-model-low-poly-fbx-ma-mb.jpg

n2s

I like the mother-in-law furniture you are building... How much for the chair + sofa + bedroom set? Can it fit a father-in-law too?

Barring mention of irreplaceable knives with sentimental value and listing which 4 knives I currently own that would be replaced first.

Spyderco K2
Gets carried 300+ days out of the year.
43ADEDAE-0128-42A8-9923-91AA4AC88641.jpeg
Spyderco Nirvana
I really appreciate what it takes to make a one piece integral titanium frame lock with continuous milled pattern.
8678AB0B-5896-4C85-83E4-DAA083029923.jpeg
Tony Bose / Case Tribal Spear
Love the way this knife makes me feel when it’s in my pocket.
DB4C669F-6658-4C8E-A8A9-DCCE4A260A9D.jpeg
Joe Hoover
I don’t carry a fixed blade much at all but man I like this one.
2E432701-C801-453E-A096-9DB0D758BC21.jpeg

Last edited:
hope this never happens I would be lost without my ka bar short I could do every I had to do with that if I had to

ka bar 1211 a good all round easy to replace

ontario sp 10 got to have a big bowie it's one of the best all rounders easyer than an axe to carry you could build shelters and slice stake with the sp10 one of my favorites

last one would be tuff I'm not a big folding knife fan thay have there place and I have some but for me it would have to eather a
buck 110 or a ti lite 4 there my favorite folders knives both can do what ever i want a folder to do

I don't edc a knife every we're because of local law if you have a good reason you can take them and the police have no problem

Back