1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Suddenly you wake and find...

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Gary W. Graley, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Mistman68

Mistman68 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Only replacing what is already in the collection.

Hinderer 3" Skinny Slicer
    Hinderer 3.5" Skinny Slicer
    5" Fixed Bowie in carbon steel (unknown maker, doesn't matter)
    CRK Umnumzaan

Honorable mention TRM Atlas

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  2. rexromic

rexromic Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2011
    Rockstead Higo,Large Sebenza 21 Diamond Plate,Umnumzaan OP and Wilkins Leafstorm Custom.

Gary W. Graley likes this.
  3. Shorttime

Shorttime

Oct 16, 2011
    First of all, that would be a bad knock, because a couple of them were gifts from my son. There's no way to replace them.

Like Mr. Graley, I would need another Alox (Electrician),

[​IMG]

because that's my go-to-work knife.

Other than that, I think I would also buy different knives. For some reason, I thought we were talking about which knives in your current collection would you buy again, but (after reading more slowly) it would seem I have the option to start over. That opens things up, and makes this much more difficult.

Second would be a TOPS Pry-Knife.

[​IMG]

For the rare times when I need a knife to play in the mud with.

The other two would likely be folders, and I might allow myself some expensive ones. This is a good excuse to look at pictures, so I'll be several tabs away, for a while....

Hmm. I might just replace this eleven dollar piece of mediocrity, and call it done.

[​IMG]

I've been trying to concentrate on making my own, but real life and other people's shiny things, keep distracting me. This coping knife is lackluster in every way, but that's the point: it's just a tool. It would be a reason to stop waffling about getting into sheath making, because it doesn't have a clip.

4. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    I suppose the easiest way to answer this is with the four knives I currently have on my nightstand--they get carried the most:
    [​IMG]
    Case amber bone trapper
    Case amber bone medium stockman
    GEC ebony #15
    A. Wright rosewood lambsfoot

Of course, my answer could be different in a year.

jkwithawave and Gary W. Graley like this.
  5. not2sharp

not2sharp Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 1999
    There would be little sense, or fun, in covering the same well trotted ground again. I would probably just take up another hobby, like building nice chairs for guests.....

[​IMG]
    n2s

6. Shorttime

Shorttime

Oct 16, 2011
    :eek: That got real dark.

(I laughed. So.....)

sodak and Gary W. Graley like this.
  7. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2011
    I mostly agree, but I think that the sentimentality being gone means I would start fresh and pick up four that I never tried before. The more I enjoy this hobby the more I realize that part of what I love is the novelty of a new blade.

8. braillediver

braillediver Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2007
    How long have you had the LionSteel Bestman single blade version? It looks nice and I might have to ry it.

I'm currently down to about 4 knives that I use.

9. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley “Imagination is more important than knowledge" Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 1999
    She arrived July 8th
    For a short time I did have her up for sale as I needed funds but was able to cover the need and took her off the board
    G2

jkwithawave likes this.
  10. Sgt 127

Sgt 127

Mar 26, 2002
    [​IMG]

I could likely survive with these four.

Some version of a SAK. (Or Camillus army knife)

Spyderco Delica or Endura.

Something for swimming, ocean etc. the Spyderco Autonomy.

And one good fixed blade. The Dozier Model 6 is dandy.

(Never realized it, the Autonomy opened is almost as big as the Dozier)

11. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    An interesting question: What four knives do I carry most frequently.
    Some of my most carried knives are rather obscure. Others are quite common.
    • Ruike S11 (2 inch blade slip joint, 12C27 steel hardened to 58)
    • Ruike M11 (2 3/4 inch blade slip joint with pocket clip. Same steel)
    • Spyderco Dragonfly
    • Spyderco Native 5 with G10 handles.
    The S11 is what I carry at work, due to corporate mandates on size.
    The M11 is what I mostly carry when I'm not at work.
    The Spyderco knives are mostly what I reach for when I want a locking blade.

Now those aren't the only knives that I would replace, but those are the ones I carry most frequently these days, so they would get replaced first.

12. Old Biker

Old Biker

Sep 25, 2016
    It sorta happened to me. Last March I came home from work, My house had been broken into and most of my knives were gone. I had these five on me that day. It's what I carry every day. With the exception that I used to normally carried my old buck 110. Once in a while I would put on the new Buck 112. That Day I picked the 112.
    [​IMG]

Buck 112, JK knives mini mouse, Victorinox Swiss Champ, old Colonial stockman, Boker carvers congress. Those five will more than do everything I need to do with a knife. The buck 110 can't be replaced, but this 112 makes a good substitute.

This is so true. Still hurts when the &*%$$ thief steals the knife you carried for 40 plus years.

O.B.

13. Addicted_to_Knives

Addicted_to_Knives

Nov 29, 2018
    I like the mother-in-law furniture you are building... How much for the chair + sofa + bedroom set? Can it fit a father-in-law too?

14. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2016
    I only picked 3 before, so for the fourth I'd convince the insurance that a diamond-encrusted Warenski went missing.

15. 3fifty7

3fifty7 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2016
    Barring mention of irreplaceable knives with sentimental value and listing which 4 knives I currently own that would be replaced first.

Spyderco K2
    Gets carried 300+ days out of the year.
    43ADEDAE-0128-42A8-9923-91AA4AC88641.jpeg
    Spyderco Nirvana
    I really appreciate what it takes to make a one piece integral titanium frame lock with continuous milled pattern.
    8678AB0B-5896-4C85-83E4-DAA083029923.jpeg
    Tony Bose / Case Tribal Spear
    Love the way this knife makes me feel when it’s in my pocket.
    DB4C669F-6658-4C8E-A8A9-DCCE4A260A9D.jpeg
    Joe Hoover
    I don’t carry a fixed blade much at all but man I like this one.
    2E432701-C801-453E-A096-9DB0D758BC21.jpeg

16. soc_monki

soc_monki

Apr 5, 2019
    0562cf, 0470, PM2, and Amalgam. Not necessarily in that order!

17. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Luckily this is just hypothetical, so I can pretend that those with sentimental value were in the safe and not touched.

18. Forester_01

Forester_01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Sebenza large plain jane, xm18 3.5 skinny sheepsfoot (or slicer), a traditional of some kind, carothers fk2

jkwithawave and Gary W. Graley like this.
  19. kaos 13

kaos 13

Apr 30, 2019
    hope this never happens I would be lost without my ka bar short I could do every I had to do with that if I had to

ka bar 1211 a good all round easy to replace

ontario sp 10 got to have a big bowie it's one of the best all rounders easyer than an axe to carry you could build shelters and slice stake with the sp10 one of my favorites

last one would be tuff I'm not a big folding knife fan thay have there place and I have some but for me it would have to eather a
    buck 110 or a ti lite 4 there my favorite folders knives both can do what ever i want a folder to do

I don't edc a knife every we're because of local law if you have a good reason you can take them and the police have no problem

20. Robinson1

Robinson1

Feb 15, 2018
    Buck 112
    Buck 119
    Victorinox Tinker
    Case medium stockman

Prester John and Gary W. Graley like this.