1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Suggest a knife for my next purchase please - in the $450 - $700 range

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by seeverscpa, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Ashleyx3

Ashleyx3

Mar 26, 2017
    Buy a few Spyderco and Benchmade knives ^_^

2. seeverscpa

seeverscpa

May 19, 2015
    True North has some great Mike Zieba flippers. The compound grind on those knives is incredible! They are a little on the small side for what I am looking at.

3. Ratman79

Ratman79

Jan 5, 2016
    I don't know if you are just looking for folders, but I can recommend an excellent fixed blade. Take a look at the Winkler Blue Ridge hunter. 4in blade, 80CrV2 steel, flat ground, choice of different handle materials, sheath included.

I have the bigger brother, the Belt Knife model, and it is the exact same knife as my suggestion except for a slightly longer/thicker blade. Great performer, extremely durable and can do just about anything. Plus it is around a hundred less than your criteria!

4. dcoffe01

dcoffe01

Aug 14, 2012
    Check out the Jim Harrison (Seamus knives) flipper that is currently available on GP Knives.

Dan

5. miso2

miso2 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Grimsmo Rask? If you can wait.

Miso

6. rexbo

rexbo Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 12, 2016
    gonna be a long wait unless you know something I don't?

7. marcus52AR

marcus52AR Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 22, 2014
    I don't see these being available for some time. Apparently they're switching back to the Norseman model after they get caught up on Rask orders. Shame.. I was about a month late to get on the order list before they closed it.

To the op.. I'd buy a shirogorov if I was looking to spend that much. Phenomenal flippers and very useful ffg blades on most models.

8. BilboBaggins

BilboBaggins Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Handled several Curtis knives at the Badger Knife show last weekend. I was very impressed. Not the fall shutty feel of a Shiro, but he has those detents dialed in perfectly. Fires hard. On top of it, he seemed like a genuinely nice guy.

9. miso2

Nov 19, 2014
    No. I don't have any heart-warming info about Rask. Just thought the OP might not mind a long wait.
    I would highly recommend Umnumzaan as well.

Miso

10. rexbo

rexbo Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 12, 2016
    Ugh... feel gutted! haha

11. Stainz

Stainz

Jun 24, 2007
    Several years ago, I celebrated my first SSI retirement deposit by buying myself a WC/CRK 'Startac' (Umnumzaan with burst pattern & S30V blade then.). Wow! I carry it in the large CRK leather sheath now, but it had already gained it's 'patina' from several years of pocket carry. Last fall I noticed that the small 'O' rings I put on it's thumb studs weren't really neoprene and had started dissolving - so I took it out out of EDC rotation (They are real gooey now!). My only other CRK folder is a newer small Sebbie in S35VN - and it's taken up the slack for the Startac... sort of - I miss it! My point is simple - either one will be a great first CRK experience. Just remember to fondle it and open and close it, feeling and hearing the quality, especially when you first look at it and say to yourself, "I paid how much for this plain Jane knife that is almost devoid of any markings?". You'll quickly smile... and understand why everyone needs a CRK folder!

I have a third CRK - a fb Nyala in S35VN - fantastic knife - and a veritable bargain in the CRK world.

Stainz

12. BrandoSpoke

BrandoSpoke

Mar 14, 2017
    Chriss Reeve Sebenza or Rick Hinderer XM-18

13. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
  14. miso2

Nov 19, 2014
    I am sorry for raising false expectation.......

Miso

15. FullMetalJackass

FullMetalJackass Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Chaves Redencion 228

16. Ruggdogg87

Ruggdogg87

Dec 21, 2015
    All the suggestions are great so far. I can second all of them. CRK 21 or Inkosi (have a large of both and they fight over pocket time). Chaves 228 Gen 2 (top 3 favorites). Curtiss F3 (had a medium but want a large). And Olamic Wayfarer 247 (will be the next knife I buy). If you want an F3 look at Curtiss's knife of the day, he offers a deal that is incredible. For the others hit the forums abd buy one as new or excellent condition for a great discount sometimes.

17. jzs

jzs

Apr 15, 2010
    i personally would say WAIT!!! WAIT until you've got $1,000 - $2,000 to spend!!! then the vista - the range - of what you can consider buying - opens up dramatically!!! i'd rather spend 50% MORE - and buy significantly better quality, more creativity, more classicism - than just buy for the sake of buying.

for example, i just spent $3,000 and bought my 3rd shigorov "Poluchotkiy"!!! so, the obvious question is, WHY??

because only 200 were ever made, so there is an "exclusion" principle in play. PICK IT UP, hold it, flip it, close it, LISTEN to it!!! THAT's another "WHY"...the QUALITY you'll hear, feel, see!!!

the "lines" are glorious. it's ART as much as knife as much as engineering as much as geometry. i don't believe there are even $500 knives that can provide such sensory feedback at that level of 'investment'.

WHY do knife lovers buy WOLFGANG LOERCHNER knives? Or BOB LOVELESS knives? Or ROY APPLETON knives? Or WILL TUCH knives? same concept, just attached to another name...

just my opinion... regards, jzs...

18. T.K.C.

T.K.C.

May 7, 2005
    How about looking into Seamus Knives, and have my friend Jim Harrison make you a knife?

19. sph801

sph801

Jul 8, 2016
    Another vote for CRK Inkosi. My small inkosi hasn't left my pocket since I got it.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20. Officer's Match

Officer's Match Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 23, 2013
    ^^^ Whats with the grommet?