Suggest a knife good for every job (less than 300 $)

Hello,
I am searching for fixed knife usable for nearly everything that cost less than 300 $ bucks. By everything I mean uses ranging from food prep to working with wood and even with some tactical use in mind. Preferably spear point or drop point blade with length from 3 to 4 inches. Saw is optional. It doesn't have to be made from some super fancy steel, but rather from some low maintenance steel. Basically I am not searching for perfect blade, but for something that gets the job done.
Thanks.

I agree here. You can get some great custom fixed blades for under $300 (whereas you would typically pay much more for a custom folder). I find bushcraft-style knives to be quite versatile (except with a scandi grind) and really like my nessmuk as an all-rounder but especially for processing food.

Last edited:
I think a CPK DEK1 with Delta 3V steel is right around the 300 mark. Truly a fantastic knife with impressive performance, and the handle design does have element that address the 'tactical use'.

605o5PG.jpg

Benchmade Puukko 200. The only saw on a knife I've found that really works is my Officer model SAK.

Hi and welcome to the forums. I'll list a few choices from BHq for easy reference.

ESEE 3 in 1095 or CPM-S35VN. I'd stainless for a few bucks more but that is me. ESEE has one of the best warranties in the business and with a sheath and shipping, you are $140 or so. Make sure you get the better/newer contoured grips in G10 or micarta. Note, plenty of color combos to choose from.
https://www.bladehq.com/item--ESEE-Knives-ESEE-3-Fixed-Blade--105729
https://www.bladehq.com/item--ESEE-Knives-ESEE-3PMDT-004-Fixed--105743

If you are willing to push the blade length out a quarter of an inch or so ...
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Condor-Terrasaur-Fixed-Blade-Knife--99731

Pick a Buck Compadre 104 (or two). Most versatile fixed blade I have, and I have quite a few (much more expensive ones, too).

Since you include food prep in the tasks (which i do too), whatever you choose, I suggest a FFG and stainless.

Roland.

Knives like these have been used for many years for exactly the uses you describe by generations of people living in northern Europe. You might have to do some looking but any one (or two even) of these knives can be had for far less than your budget limit.

8kB8wwAh.jpg

w7d5O1Rh.jpg

7LtOIAAh.jpg

q2DXD2rh.jpg

b2NtWSXh.jpg

Knives like these have been used for many years for exactly the uses you describe by generations of people living in northern Europe. You might have to do some looking but any one (or two even) of these knives can be had for far less than your budget limit.
These and the Benchmade Puuko reminded me about Martiini knives. Anybody has some experience with their Condor classic or Lynx model?

Thats an older Marttiini Ilves in the picture above, second from top. Ilves is Finnish for Lynx. The newer Lynx models are ok, the older ones marked Ilves seem to be better though.

model 121, from the 1990s
Decent small knife, easily sharpened, 420 stainless
CntIuLi.jpg

Small Model 11 lapinleuku from the 1960s, about 7 3/4" overall
This is a great knife if you can find one....good carbon steel, something like 1075, very sharp thin blade
FH32xXYl.jpg

Two 8 1/4" Marttiini knives, an old #2 erapuuko shown with an Ilves model 6H
IFG2ilYl.jpg

Last edited:
Falkniven f1 in vg 10

Sorry that one is COS which I know nothing about.

But about $200

Last edited:
Back