Suggestions For Monthly Specials

Maybe a smaller, lighter backpacking/hiking knife? Something along the lines of a bluegill with extended handle, but without scales and a compact kydex sheath. 1/8” max. The lack of scales would allow you to save significant time and work, so maybe they could be offered at something in the $100 price range while still being profitable enough for you to do?

I’ve got a Bluegill and Hurley Creek on order. I suspect I’ll be ordering another one of those (or a Deluxe Hurley Creek) after I get them in my hand.

Also interested in the MiniMuk or Nessmuk.

Curious to hear what others might be interested in.

Maybe a smaller, lighter backpacking/hiking knife? Something along the lines of a bluegill with extended handle, but without scales and a compact kydex sheath. 1/8” max. The lack of scales would allow you to save significant time and work, so maybe they could be offered at something in the $100 price range while still being profitable enough for you to do?

Funny, I was just thinking the same. Maybe the Hurley Creek? Or maybe even go bigger like the EO1 without scales, a few holes drilled in it for easy paracord wrap? I could see the compact tool being interesting without scales too, but that's probably much more fringe, like a cold steel drop forged hunter.

Maybe a compromise with really thin handles, just enough for traction?

Not too many designs that haven’t been thought of before. I’ve noticed a trend for knives like this lately. With the popularity of chest packs and more minimal gear, a knife that’s big enough to be useful and functional, yet thin and light enough to carry in multiple ways seems to be in demand. The key feature for me is a full length handle. I’m not a fan of three finger handles, maybe because I have more than three fingers lol.

Not too many designs that haven’t been thought of before. I’ve noticed a trend for knives like this lately. With the popularity of chest packs and more minimal gear, a knife that’s big enough to be useful and functional, yet thin and light enough to carry in multiple ways seems to be in demand. The key feature for me is a full length handle. I’m not a fan of three finger handles, maybe because I have more than three fingers lol.

I completely agree on the 3-finger knife vs full handle.

I like the full length handle on a scaleless knife idea, maybe on the E01 as mentioned, but in 1/8 thickness. I know John has said that 3/32 is more expensive than 1/8. Like a bigger version of the Hurley Creek......keep the name the same since it is cool, maybe the Burley Hurley Creek. Like the backpacker idea. :D

Last edited:
If I could do something EO1 EDC size in 1/8” O1, with no handles, full grind, and kydex sheath for $108 shipped, or with 1/8” thick micarta handles for $118 shipped, would there be interest?

Yes I would be interested. Anyway that bikerector or anyone draw up some sketches for some ideas? One of the things I like about the HC is the rounded handle to make a comfortable grip, that added to a longer handle that adds dexterity in moving the blade. The E01 hunter is the perfect candidate for this, would the longer handle still be possible in the price range John mentioned? What about adding a little curve to the bottom side of the handle? Do not want to start adding too many changes.

Last edited:
8" x 1/16" FRENCH CHEF
5" X 3/32 BONING KNIFE
2.5" X 1/16" PARING
ALL STAINLESS
AS A SET
WHOLE NEW MARKET
CORIAN OR KYRINITE HANDLES
An interesting idea for a kitchen set. Pricing for stainless and what steel would be a challenge, correct?

If I could do something EO1 EDC size in 1/8” O1, with no handles, full grind, and kydex sheath for $108 shipped, or with 1/8” thick micarta handles for $118 shipped, would there be interest?

I would have more interest in the Hunter size as a 4" handle is generally where I draw the line for a full-length handle with a 4-finger grip. However, I don't think I'll be buying one just because of timing, so take my comment with a grain of salt as I think the EDC size is also pretty popular for you.

I will add, I've had the thought of designing one myself that used some type of checking in the steel for traction. That's pretty labor-intensive, from what I've seen for gunstocks, so I haven't found a good way to make that happen for steel with a ton of filing. It's an idea I need to research more. Maybe there's a stamp or something that can do it before HT.

I would have more interest in the Hunter size as a 4" handle is generally where I draw the line for a full-length handle with a 4-finger grip. However, I don't think I'll be buying one just because of timing, so take my comment with a grain of salt as I think the EDC size is also pretty popular for you.

I will add, I've had the thought of designing one myself that used some type of checking in the steel for traction. That's pretty labor-intensive, from what I've seen for gunstocks, so I haven't found a good way to make that happen for steel with a ton of filing. It's an idea I need to research more. Maybe there's a stamp or something that can do it before HT.
The problem with texturing the handles is after heat treating it would need to be flat ground again to remove scale. No more texturing!

The problem with texturing the handles is after heat treating it would need to be flat ground again to remove scale. No more texturing!

I see, for some reason, I was thinking there wasn't scale when HT in the oven, but I must have misinterpreted something somewhere. Maybe that's a "scale-on" type of thing, like the raw HT scale knives that seem common on forged knives going after a rustic look. Not sure if that applies to stock removal though, or the different processes altogether.

I suppose I could get creative with my chem background and see about some type of acid-washed handle that adds a light texturing vs a smoother finish. I'll add that to things to play around with, like dying natural micarta to get some different color effects like some do with FRN materials.

What about just sanding the handle down with sandpaper? Fine grit? Or a vinegar bath or some other chemical bath? Belt grinder?

Back