SUGGESTIONS on DESIGN Please

As you know George is stepping into the tactical knife arena. Below is a photo of his first prototype.
newfolderaugbrickopenwt2.jpg

At this point it has already been tweaked but we are still not entirely sure that is it something that will appeal to the tactical crowd as such.

The finished product will NOT have carbon fibre scales, and the bolster will be angled in the opposite direction, this angle does not work.

Our supply of royal blue, cherry red, green/black combo and blue/black combo G10 has finally arrived as well as our 19C27. It will have a dual thumb stud,
belt clip, the scales will be cut short of the titanium frame to show relief all the way around.

We are moving forward with this project and todate have spent a fair bit of time, money and materials to arrive at the above prototype. We're asking those of you into the tactical folders to please take a look and make suggestions of what you think would make it more appealing and something that you would purchase.

We would much rather hear from you now so that we can make any necessary design changes than after we have gone into full blown production.
If you could take a couple minutes we'd really be appreciative.

Thanks to All, :) Carol & George

I'm not a tactical guy or really a folder guy, but I will stick my 2 cents in here and give you my thoughts. I'm a bit reluctant to give my views because you've probably forgot more about knife making than I've learned, but I will give my honest thoughts the way I see it.

This design just doesn't say "tactical" to me. Most tactical knives I've seen rely fairly heavily on straight line geometries to give a more tactical flavor. To me, a fierce/wicked looking design is part of the over all tactical package. If I can intimidate or strike fear in my enemy just by the look of my weapon, then I have an advantage.

The entire handle has a rounded comfortable look (which is great for a edc or kitchen type knife) but it doesn't work for me when used on a tactical knife. If I'm going to fight for my life with a knife, I want to know it will remain in my hand and if I have to use it in a thrusting or dagger type manner I want to know that my hand isn't going to end up sliding down the blade.

I did a very quick outline over the blade section to give you a rough idea of what I mean.

GeorgeTtactical2.jpg

Brad
www.AndersonKnives.ca

Thanks Brad, I think that that is what this knife needs. I have been looking at the bolster and thinking of flaring it towards the front to provide some protection from sliding forward.

Seal, a recurve is definitely the way to go. They are just so difficult to sharpen properly.

Thanks guys
George

Thanks Bushman, don't know if a lanyard tube is possible but a lanyard hole definitely is possible.

Target price is $500 depending on handle material and treatment.

George

Hey George,

I like the shape of the handle. Not real keen on the shape of the blade spine. Of course until you have it in your hand, you never know for sure. Everyone has a different eye for what is "tactical". I have no doubt yours will be a hard user regardless.

I persanlly don't like a folder with a lanyard just because any more "advertising" than a pocket clip is unwanted.

D.

Gentlemen, below is a prototype that was worked up today incorporating some of the suggestions that have been received over the last couple days from a few sources. Please take a look and see if this is more in keeping with a wide variety of "tactical" images.
secondadditionprototypewg3.jpg

The grind lines do not show well on a scan so I've hit them with black marker and the top of the spine will be lowered by approx 1/8"

Look forward to your comments. Appreciate hearing from all of you,

Many Thanks, George

Hey Dale, you're right, the blade shape of the first design is a bit less traditional but it makes for a lighter and more weight forward blade. Plus when closed it provides a great grip if one were to use it as an impact weapon. Not sure if that part about the impact weapon was George's intent, but it was what came to mind as I was handling it.

George, i like that second design as well. I look forward to seeing the more finished results. Take care and keep us posted.

-Chris

I like the second design for the blade much better, in my opinion it has a more tactical flavor. Im all for pushing the envelope on design concepts but the original spine configuration didn't look right to me. It can definitely be fun coming up with new ideas and trying them out.

It appears that you are working with blade steel and micarta for your prototyping, have you considered using hardboard or aluminum for your prototypes? Its alot cheaper and easier to toss an aluminum model that you aren't happy with than throwing good materials away.

I'm still not sure about the handle, I would have to have a better vision of where you are going to take it in order to form a better opinion. One thing you may want to consider, if there is room, is to extend the back spacer where it comes to a point at the rear of the handle and incorporate a skull cracker. Maybe even mill a small slot in it so those who wish to have a lanyard could do so.

Wyrm, from what I can see, the clip would have to be a false edge as some of it would be exposed when the blade is closed.

I'm looking forward to see where you end up taking this George.

Brad
www.AndersonKnives.ca

Dale, the clip would not normally be sharpened because all but the tip is exposed when closed.

Brad this one is made from aluminum so I can continue to use it as a pattern afterwards if I like it.

The end of the handle is square to allow optional mounting of a glass break but this blade shape might not get the nod of approval for a rescue knife.
Another blade without a point and including a seatbelt cutting hook would probably be more appropriate.

Cutting or drilling a thong hole slot is still possible if the glass break is not mounted.

Still working on a better idea though.

George

George, I just couldn't help myself. Heres a couple of thoughts I did in CAD. You could print these and draw on top to change it around. Just trying to help. Thanks, David.

Attachments

• IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 67
Thanks David.

That change really makes a difference to the character of the knife. I showed it to Carol (my business manager) and she likes it too.

If you don't mind it I would like to prototype a couple with this blade configuration.

George

George, I can send you the CAD drawings if you need them. Its your design. I was just trying some things. Glad you like it.

David

Tell Daniel Koster than none of these links in your website work

Company Info Contact Info Map & Location Knifemaking Q&A Links F.A.Q.

Also, none of the pictures seem to be showing for me, if indeed there are any, but I can't believe there aren't.

George, let me know what you think of this one. I put it together on CAD so it is a working model.

Attachments

• Georges frame lock frames.jpg
    Georges frame lock frames.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Georges frame lock blade.jpg
    Georges frame lock blade.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 26
  • Georges frame lock clip.jpg
    Georges frame lock clip.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 22
David, my apologies that you haven't heard back from George he has been up to his ears in work these days and hasn't had much time to do anything else.
I'm sure you will be hearing from him soon as he has made changes to his original using some of your ideas. We're trying to get a great deal accomplished in a short period of time so we haven't been around much lately.

I've printed off everything you have posted and he has that with him. :)
You input in very much appreciated.

Talk to you soon, Cheers, Carol

Back