• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

How To Suggestions on "How a deal ought to go down"

I'm worse than a "no question" person - I don't want ANY posts made in my ads. There are a number of reasons for that, but I will address the "questions" aspect here (because it was specifically asked).

^ I remember that one specific sale. :D

The biggest reason for me is that too many people do not have the common sense to keep negotiations private. I don't want offers - dollar figures or trades - posted in (my) sales threads.

^ :thumbsup: Truth!

I've given up even asking anymore.

I'm also a member on CalGuns. It's pretty entertaining to say the least; when a seller is very adamant, regarding strict posting rules in their sales thread. It never works! :D

I've begun to wonder: are some of these people just plain moron's, who truly don't know any better? If this trend keeps up, I'm going to have to start implementing those "reverse psychology" tricks- those games you typically play on a 5 year old. v
Please feel free to ask all question and make lowball offer's or one sided trade offer's directly in my sales thread.

In many instances, these people have paid memberships, and could easily use of the "conversation" feature. :rolleyes:

The people I refuse to deal with, are the one's who post an "I'll take it," in your sales thread, followed by a stipulation. :thumbsdown:

I've also tried adding rules to my sales threads, asking people not to post questions or negotiations. I've since given up on the idea. If the thread becomes too cluttered, I just withdraw the whole thing, wait the two weeks, and then try again

^ I remember that one specific sale. :D
I suspect the incident to which you are referring was one in which I was a buyer; so it isn't as directly applicable...but, you are correct, I won't post in ads as a buyer, either (except to possibly inform the seller that his inbox is full...and, in most of those cases, I never return to check to see if they cleared it).

Unfortunately, the typical response to my posted request for private communications was that people disregarded it...which only made me more adamant on the matter. Eventually, I started posting that I would refuse to sell to people that posted in my ads - and following through on that. I'm sure it loses me some easy sales; but I don't particularly care about that...if a knife doesn't sell, I get to keep it :D. Now I lock my ads as soon as I have a commitment to purchase - it takes me out of the ratings game; but I'm okay with that, too.

One thing I don't understand, and maybe y'all can enlighten me, is the "don't ask questions in the sales thread" request from sellers. I abide by it but it is pretty damn stupid if you ask me. People generally don't ask pointless questions. The answers to the questions I sometimes have for a seller, for instance, would benefit anyone interested in buying the knife.

What are you "no questions" people up to? It comes across as shady to me.

Maybe not shady, but just a controlling personality. Either way, I pretty much leave those threads alone anymore. Same with the ones that put a bunch of other rules to where it makes me think of a drill sergeant standing there barking out orders. It's easy enough to just go find another knife.

Now negotiations, I understand. All offers should be done privately. I also won't tell one person what I sold the knife to or bought from another for, as the other party may not want that info shared.

ALSO - regarding photos - PLEASE don't ask me to go to another sight to look at photos or ask me to email you as a "serious buyer" to see the knife. :poop: :thumbsdown:

This x 100. If you want buyers to give your listing serious consideration, take the time to post quality pictures in the thread. Also, IMO full images are the way to go - thumbnail photos should be avoided.

I post one photo per knife in each sales thread, then link off to imgur where the rest of the photos are uploaded. Why? I want people to know what knives I've listed at a glance, but also keep the thread as clutter free as possible. I often list 10 or more knives per thread, and it'd be hell for me and the potential buyers to sort through 60-100 photos (I don't even know if a thread will allow that many photos in it). I don't see what's difficult about 'right click + open in new tab' or even just 'left clicking' the links. But sure, if having to click on a link or two is gonna ruin your happy fun times, then I'm sorry.

I post one photo per knife in each sales thread, then link off to imgur where the rest of the photos are uploaded. Why? I want people to know what knives I've listed at a glance, but also keep the thread as clutter free as possible. I often list 10 or more knives per thread, and it'd be hell for me and the potential buyers to sort through 60-100 photos (I don't even know if a thread will allow that many photos in it). I don't see what's difficult about 'right click + open in new tab' or even just 'left clicking' the links. But sure, if having to click on a link or two is gonna ruin your happy fun times, then I'm sorry.

Well, I started the thread with suggestions. I asked other members to add in their own personal tips.

I'd say the idea of posting up pics in the original, actual sales thread is primarily a matter of convenience and having everything related to the sale in one single, clean, space = Bladeforums :thumbsup:. Second to that is the fact that some members just may not trust being sent to other sites off BF for security purposes or getting spammed by a lot of banners and stuff that jams up your CPU.

If I'm lusting after a particular blade, I'll follow a series of links taking me to Timbuktu to get to it. :D So it isn't a huge deal for me.

OTOH, if I get sent to some wonky hosting site-- phtobucket, I'm looking at you :mad:-- that takes 8-10 sec and the page still isn't loaded, I'll shell out of it. First world problems, I realize, but still, it's a pet peeve of mine to have to WAIT ON COMPUTERS. It cuts into the time I need to keep the neighbor kids off my lawn :rolleyes:

One thing I don't understand, and maybe y'all can enlighten me, is the "don't ask questions in the sales thread" request from sellers. I abide by it but it is pretty damn stupid if you ask me. People generally don't ask pointless questions. The answers to the questions I sometimes have for a seller, for instance, would benefit anyone interested in buying the knife.

Often when people scan the for sale sections they see a listing with several replies, assume the item has sold and move on without even opening the post to see what the replies are.

In 1, I would include a concise but thorough written description of the knife, as pictures (even good ones) don't always show the whole story. Things like lockup & centering can be fairly well portrayed in pics, but blades are harder to photograph. Knowing up-front that a knife needs a bit of wrist-flip saves time and frustration.

To this I'll add, "Disclose, disclose, disclose."

If I've sent a knife in for warranty, that will be in the listing. Things I don't consider an issue (cosmetic centering, let's say), but that others might, get the same treatment. Used and/or carried will be noted, of course.

As a seller, I'm happiest when the buyer says that the knife they received exceeded their expectations. As a buyer, I want to know this stuff. No matter how pretty the pictures are, not having a thorough description of the knife is an easy way to lose my interest.

Heck, even if it's brand new I still want to know things about it that you can't see in a photo. If I'm rolling the dice on a private sale, rather than a purchase from an OLKS with a good return policy (who will also inspect my knife for my specific wants before shipping it out), I want to know that a new knife matches what I'm after out of a new knife.

I'm one of these. For the reason that when you are in the front sales thread area, seeing a sales thread with a number of replies already would make it more likely for some to assume it's already sold and scroll right on past

Not to mention the really dumb trade offers and lowballs and other stuff new guys ask.

Weather or not I like the handle ergonomics has nothing to do with the condition of a knife for sale. Maybe I should say not to ask irrelevant questions.

I hadn't considered this may come across as shady.

....Maybe I should say not to ask irrelevant questions....

This is a good position to take, IMHO:thumbsup:

But I've started requesting "No questions in sales threads, PM please" -- which is a change for me...I used to have no preference one way or the other.

It's my more simplistic take on Van Halen's brown M&M contract rider. It just shows me who doesn't read the description fully. Kinda like an litmus test / idiot test. I almost always still answer the question, in the thread itself-- no less, in a cordial manner without even saying, "I SAID NO QUES in the thread!"

If you've never heard of VH's no brown M&M rider...watch the vid I linked...it's ingenious and 100% purposeful:

Many, many BladeForums brethren adhere to these humble suggestions instinctively-- in fact, I'm mindful of my past VERY POSITIVE :thumbsup: transactions with them in the past in creating this thread because the way we consummated our dealings usually followed this exact path.

To them, and many others, some of this may seem like..."Well, duhhh...tell us something we didn't already know!" :rolleyes:

However, I've noticed an influx of new blood on the Exchange recently and <maybe> they need <a little> guidance on "how a deal ought to go down." :cool:

This is in no way intended to be exhaustive, one size fits all, dogmatic, or preachy on my behalf. Just a starting point. A sort of checklist for Exchange pilgrims. :)

Please add to/subtract from/offer suggestions as your experience moves you to.

I like to think of a successful DEAL as a series of 7 "turns" between the two parties:

1. SELLER: posts sales thread with concise & accurate written description, simple & clearly stated terms, clear photos of crucial areas <pivot, spine, edge, blade centering, lock-up, blemishes, etc.>, and all-inclusive prices.
2. BUYER: posts an "I'll take it!" in thread and starts Conversation <what used to be Private Messages a.k.a. PM's> with SELLER requesting PayPal <or similar> info.
3. SELLER: responds to Conversation with payment info. <Goods & Services ONLY, if PayPal is your favored medium of exchange!!!>
4. BUYER: sends funds immediately and confirms that his/her shipping address is accurate and up to date via Conversation.
5. SELLER: immediately confirms receipt of funds and provides BUYER with notification of actual shipping date and tracking info via Conversation, and then ships item, with tracking, promptly on date promised.
6. BUYER: takes delivery of item and notifies SELLER that everything was kosher by means of Conversation or leaving positive feedback on the Exchange <preferably BOTH>.
7. SELLER: reciprocates with positive feedback-- and additionally, a personal Conversation is also ideal.

DEAL IS DONE! :thumbsup: ...at this point, if both parties are satisfied, the SELLER can close the thread.

As I said, post up any suggestions-- thanks for your time and my wish is that this may help a few members make an already GREAT place even GREATER! :):):)

This is a great little guide.

For me #1 rule to a good transaction is fast and good communication. If one party is going to be busy and unable to send a long detailed email or message a little: “I’m busy at work and have to pick up the kids from piano practice. I’ll message you tonight or tomorrow morning.” can go a long way.

Most deals it seems like if both parties communicate well and have good intentions the deal will end with both parties willing to post a positive feedback.

Whenever shipping knives package the knife very will. Lots of postmen THROW the package onto the front door step using the front door as a backboard.

Another little thing I do is wrap some rubber bands around a closed folding knife I am shipping so that way there is no way the blade can open even partially and have the tip or blade damaged.

I'm one of these. For the reason that when you are in the front sales thread area, seeing a sales thread with a number of replies already would make it more likely for some to assume it's already sold and scroll right on past

Not to mention the really dumb trade offers and lowballs and other stuff new guys ask.

Weather or not I like the handle ergonomics has nothing to do with the condition of a knife for sale. Maybe I should say not to ask irrelevant questions.

I hadn't considered this may come across as shady.

I personally don't mind pertinent questions in the thread as it will benefit the person asking and others that are interested and had the same question. Offers, trade or otherwise, don't belong in a thread and should be reserved for private correspondence.

I have browsed enough to know that the post count of a sales thread can have no bearing on if the item(s) are sold or still available. IMO, if the potential buyer skips over an ad of a knife they may want because of post count, they probably weren't too interested in it in the first place if they wont take the 10 or so seconds it takes to check.*

Editing the thread title with SOLD and the first post are the best way let everyone know what's up. (Others have mentioned that that doesn't even stop all the questions from days to months later asking if it is still available.)

*A little side note to this, even if there are posts and an I'll take it in the thread, calling seconds doesn't hurt. My brother has completed a fair amount of deals here from calling seconds or even thirds because the first few inline backed out for whatever reason.

Back