Super CAK

I had been lusting over this incredible khukuri for a long time and recently the possessor of this fine piece of Nepalese steel offered it to me for a trade.

SuperCAK2.jpg

Super CAK (the prototype for the H.I. Bonecutters) by Sgt Khadka.
Overall length - 20.25" (51.5cm)
Blade length - 14.25" (a hair over 36cm)
Weight - 34.45 oz

First off all I can say is wow. Wow. This thing is awesome.

I slowly convexed the edge to a scary level. I was able to cut through a maple branch the diameter of my wrist in one effortless strike. My other AK can do this too, but with nowhere near the ease the Super CAK was able to do it. I don't think I have anything in my collection that cuts like this. It's kinda freaky in a way.

I was told it feels more like a sword than a wood chopper. I must concur. It's a weapon. It cuts like an Ang Khola but it feels more like a Sirupati. One of the weird things about it is how when I pick it up, it seems to feel like it's actually 23" long but oddly lightweight at the same time. It has a very aggressive attitude to it.

This is my first Sgt Khadka blade and I'm very impressed. The man is a rare talent. The edge bevels are flawlessly even and symmetrical and the handle is very comfortable. The ring on the handle doesn't feel at all sharp. The pommel and bolster are STEEL and very well done. It's more of a traditional bolster! than the standard H.I. habakified ones and I really like that.

The only thing I could find if I nitpick is two of the aluminum pins are a tiny bit loose. Regardless of this, the handle is tight and solid. I'd also have to say I wouldn't really consider it an Ang Khola variant as it's more of a Dui Chirra Bhojpur kinda thing. Sort of. How do I find terminology and comparisons to something which is truly one of a kind?

Look at those beautiful fullers!
SuperCAK4.jpg

I think I may have found the ultimate khukuri. In all seriousness. This is my top pick for the collapse of civilization, zombie apocalypse, or fighting off and surviving, well, just about anything. It's big but it's fast, it's a power chopper but it's agile, it has plenty of reach but it's amazingly lightweight for its size.

It's perfection, IMO.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'd love to see this model become a standard khukuri in H.I.'s inventory. Maybe we could re-name it the WW3 model?

SuperCAK5.jpg

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

(Special thanks!!! to the forumite who offered this amazing khukuri to me!)

Great review of an unique Khukuri. :thumbup:

By the sounds of it, maybe even a contender to rival your beloved Chitlangi's? :p ;) :D

By the way, this is my favourite Khuk, also by Sgt Khadka, it is 18.25inches oal and weights 31ounces and the grip fits is as if it was made especially for me.

7.jpg

I know what you mean when trying to explain what model/style it is ...I call it a Chiruwa Dui Chira. :eek:

Last edited:
I'm gonna have to get me one of those Sgt Khadka CAK's. They look really sweet.

I'm gonna have to get me one of those Sgt Khadka CAK's. They look really sweet.

Oh yes. VERY sweet.

I went out in the woods a bit today with Mr Smiley
Thorsmile2.gif

I did some more test cutting with the Super CAK today, putting it up exclusively with my 20" Ang Khola by kami Kumar.

There's really no comparison. The Super CAK wins.

My standard AK is a bit different from my other khukuris as Kumar made the edge bevels very thin, almost like the edge on a razor. They are almost perfectly flat; not convex at all, and maybe even very slightly concave. Regardless of this, the edge has proven to be remarkably strong for years now. It bites deep. Really deep. This was the khukuri I was using last year to de-limb fallen trees after a windstorm and I was leaving my father and his chainsaw in the dust behind me.

The Super CAK on the other hand has those Bonecutter edge bevels. They're very convex but not too obtuse; the profile is very similar to what you'd find on a japanese "appleseed" blade profile. Just right. That being said, it cuts differently from any other khukuri I have. It cuts like a broadsword. A very sharp broadsword. It combines a razor sharp shearing cut with brute force percussion. The result is ferocious. It also has deep double fullers (which is why I consider it more of a dui chirra variant than an ang khola) to make it both remarkably light and well balanced yet very strong. The Super CAK recovers quickly and is instantly ready to strike again. The standard AK handles more like, well, a short broadaxe, which is fine because that's how I use it.

I have a scale I use to evaluate a khukuri on it's role as weapon vs tool. 1 being purely weapon and 5 being purely tool.

I consider khukuris like the chitlangi and the M43 to be dead center at 3 (M43 IMO is more accurately a 3.5) as they are compromises between weapon and tool.

I have to consider the Super CAK a 1 and 5 at the same time without being a compromise regarding either role.

Now I think I'll have to rethink my scale, all because of one khukuri :confused:

I have a CAK from Sgt Khadka on order. Thanks to this thread and the sickness.

I have to agree with your scale as far as the M-43 goes. It is indeed the best mix of tool aand weapon I've yet found. The edges on my m-43's sound about like the ones on your AK's though without any concavity top them. They are convexed by me and razor sharp. These M-43's move better in the hand than even my chitlangi, and chop and hit like a ton of bricks. The shearing power is unbelievable.

I look forward to the Sarge CAK because his variant is indeed a thoroughly different style of kukri. From what I'ver heard a totaly different animal.

I have a 15" AK and find that it handles well but no way as fluidly as my M-43's.

I'll just have to wait and see.

Yes that's next: I'm going to have to test the Super CAK against my brother's khukuri, which is an M43 by kami Sher.

I've tested it (the M43) already against my 20" standard AK and my first 21.5" Chitlangi (also by Sher).

Results:

20" AK is hard to beat as a power chopper and the M43 didn't beat it (not far behind it though). However the M43 definitely beat the AK on handling. While it couldn't quite deliver the power chops like the AK could, it recovered much faster and beat it hands down on velocity and agility. The AK cuts with a harder blow, the M43 cuts with a faster blow. Which is better? I reckon that is a matter of personal preference. If pressed into a true survival role where your khukuri may be pressed into service as your primary hand to hand combat weapon, my vote would go to the M43.

Against my 21.5" Chitlangi, it was very close. To note though my first chitlangi was what I compared the M43 against and Sher made that one with a slightly wider blade than usual. It is truly halfway between Sirupati and Ang Khola. M43 vs Chitlangi: I'd have to give a slight edge to the M43 for the power behind the blow due to it's snappy action and hanshee-esque curves. I still think the Chitlangi is slightly more agile than the M43 but the M43 has a little more authority behind the chop.

So the Chitlangi is a dead center 3.

And to nitpick and break the tie, I give the M43 a 3.5 because it is a bit better as a chopping tool than the Chitlangi.

As for ROLE though, they are both perfect as weapon/tool roles.

:thumbup:

But this Super CAK handles more like a Sirupati or Chitlangi, very quick, very agile, yet hits with some serious power, really beyond a standard AK, again, more like a razor sharp broadsword. It just might be the deadliest blade I've ever owned or handled. Period. Zombies beware.:eek::eek::eek:

Hey Wolf. Compare the weights of your 20" AK to the weight of the M-43. Then see what ya think of the near parity performance with the 20" AK.

A frioend of mine who is a commited and convnced axe man. Was absolutely blown away by my M-43's performance against even full size axes. He credits to my extensive experience with the M-43. I think design and the physics behind the design are what is at work.

Hey Wolf. Compare the weights of your 20" AK to the weight of the M-43. Then see what ya think of the near parity performance with the 20" AK.

A frioend of mine who is a commited and convnced axe man. Was absolutely blown away by my M-43's performance against even full size axes. He credits to my extensive experience with the M-43. I think design and the physics behind the design are what is at work.

I think it's a bit of both really. I've been a khukri user since 1987 but I started out with cheaper Windlass 'kukris' from India. About four or five years ago I discovered H.I. and REAL khukuris. I think a lot of my ease of use with them came from the many years prior I had spent with lesser blades before finding and moving on to the real thing.

If what you're getting at with the M43 is that is lighter and quicker with chopping power in excess of what it "should" have... I agree. I certainly do agree.

I think the idea or intent behind the M-43 was to make a kuk that performed exceptionaly well for its size and weight. Plus have it perform exceptionaly well as a weapon in combat.

They must have listened to the Kami's because they succeeded in every way.

Even so I love trying out other kukri's to see what their handling characteristics are like.

My first kukri ever was a true service kukri from one of the Gurkhas stationed in Hong Kong. I got a lot of experience with it. Never had the displeasure of the windlass kuk's. I am so thankful that I found H.I. when I did.

I'm really looking forward to using the new CAK once it gets here from Nepal.

Great review of an unique Khukuri. :thumbup:

By the sounds of it, maybe even a contender to rival your beloved Chitlangi's? :p ;) :D

By the way, this is my favourite Khuk, also by Sgt Khadka, it is 18.25inches oal and weights 31ounces and the grip fits is as if it was made especially for me.

7.jpg

I know what you mean when trying to explain what model/style it is ...I call it a Chiruwa Dui Chira. :eek:

Wow... how much was that masterpiece?

That is what I have on order John. And the reason I was hoping you'd find this thread.

You'll need to email Yangdu to get the price.

Ivan. I spoke with her via email about a week ago. Time frame then was around 4-5 weeks.

Sgt. Khadka is in the process of making some blades at this time. Then they have to be sheathed etc.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it will perform against either of my M-43's.

Back