Super Hard (70 Rc) High Speed Steels – Maxamet, Rex 121, and More Explained

Controlled varibales........ that is what your father will say to me if I show how I do my test .............game which will proof nothing !
Look , this is how I learn...................see this two blanks ? They are cut from same saw , edge of both was line between them before i cut them .So same hardness , same grain structure ................So I can play with geometry , final grit sharpening ...blabalabala and see by my self how that affect without worry about HT....Hrc...Grain ...etc . And that is best way to get some REAL data . If you know better way show me I and i will try that ..
This is 3mm. thick M2 HSS
05bCKiX.jpg
OK when you generate real data I look forward to seeing it.

Do you ever used knife from HSS steel and which one is that ? I have maybe more then 50 of them right now and around 30 give to friends ..most of them are hunters .Some are from M series some from T series HSS steel...so I making stuff ?
I’m sure you missed it, but this thread is about HSS.

Hoss

Controlled varibales........ that is what your father will say to me if I show how I do my test .............game which will proof nothing !
Look , this is how I learn...................see this two blanks ? They are cut from same saw , edge of both was line between them before i cut them .So same hardness , same grain structure ................So I can play with geometry , final grit sharpening ...blabalabala and see by my self how that affect without worry about HT....Hrc...Grain ...etc . And that is best way to get some REAL data . If you know better way show me I and i will try that ..
This is 3mm. thick M2 HSS
05bCKiX.jpg
Don’t drink and post, you’re going to hurt yourself.

Hoss

17 posts so far in this thread from you and not a single member of the forum has pushed the like button.

Hoss
And winner is ..............DevinT :D Congratulations , you have 12 post and like on two of them :thumbsup: really nobody like me here .............
Back on topic , you are no longer funny .....sorry :p
Nice article Larrin , thanks for doing this :thumbsup: I like HSS steel for knives , this is last one i finished...in M2 hss

2iMCTma.jpg

And winner is ..............DevinT :D Congratulations , you have 12 post and like on two of them :thumbsup: really nobody like me here .............
Back on topic , you are no longer funny .....sorry :p
Nice article Larrin , thanks for doing this :thumbsup: I like HSS steel for knives , this is last one i finished...in M2 hss

2iMCTma.jpg

Devin Thomas is one of the best damascus makers in the world... you should know that making thousands of flawless damascus billet from almost every kind of alloy that suit for knife, require much more skill and metallurgy knowledge far beyond "normal" heat treating work....

He also has contribute so many knowledge to knife making community over the past decades.

I see no point for you to keep arguing with him. If you don't like his post just ignore him would be good for you.

I still remember when you said HSS only need to be HT in a giant vacuum furnace to get properly result... which led me to believe you still have long way to learn about heat treating and stuff. HSS can be HT in anything even a forge if you can control the temperature/soak time and eliminate the decarburization.

"Devin Thomas is one of the best damascus makers in the world... you should know that making thousands of flawless damascus billet from almost every kind of alloy that suit for knife, require much more skill and metallurgy knowledge far beyond "normal" heat treating work....

He also has contribute so many knowledge to knife making community over the past decades."

Not to mention that he is Larrin's dad. I would guess he is pretty well informed on metallurgy.

Natlek, knock it off. You aren't helping this thread.

(Can I get a like!)

Today while speaking with the local Bohler branch bought a small sheet of S600 (AISI M2) in 2.5mm (3/32") so I can get free shipping on my order :D will try it for the first time for a kitchen knife

Pablo
PS: you got your like Stacy :):):)

Not to mention that he is Larrin's dad. I would guess he is pretty well informed on metallurgy.

Natlek, knock it off. You aren't helping this thread.

(Can I get a like!)
No , you can not get like :) So your uncle is Albert Einstein............does that mean that YOU must understand theory of relativity ? No , I can not knock of my personal experience , sorry . . . After 440c lose working sharpness goes dull fast , dull like butter knife . HSS act little different that is my observation like it or not is up to you !

It really depends on how and what you're sharpening with and what media you're testing with and how.

For me Rex 121 stayed the sharpest a(200g BESS) after cutting a 100 pieces of 3/4 Manilla rope with 8 slices each cut with the least amount of weight possible to slice.

The simple carbon steels wore smooth around 30-50 cuts in other tests.
200 BESS is still sharp as utility knife blade .Working sharpness is on about 300-400 BESS .You should continue test ......REX 121 against simple carbon or stainless steel .Cut with both till 121 get over 500 BESS ....THAT data I would like to see , especially the edge of carbon or stainless after test .

This is probably a super noobie question, but what does “high speed” mean. Why are they called “high speed” steels?
HSS ...steel made to cut and they cut .BUT they are fragile ............knife from BBB /Rex121,70 HRC / on second page ....... hold it with two fingers on tip and light knock the handle on edge of table and it will break like glass.But it will cut long time ..behind what we experience with ordinary steel.....

No , you can not get like :) So your uncle is Albert Einstein............does that mean that YOU must understand theory of relativity ? No , I can not knock of my personal experience , sorry . . . After 440c lose working sharpness goes dull fast , dull like butter knife . HSS act little different that is my observation like it or not is up to you !
This thread is not about 440C. You keep repeating yourself over and over and no one cares.

Hoss

This is probably a super noobie question, but what does “high speed” mean. Why are they called “high speed” steels?
You know what ? In middle of January I will be in USA for week .I can take that knife on last page with me and send it to you so try it , I have plenty of them :) It is M2 steel 64-65 Hrc .....Working knife , nothing special ...you will se small imperfections but it is well made knife ?

Tell that to guys on first page , I didn t start that . You quote my post ....why ?
You are dumber than a box of rocks. 440C is the benchmark for catra testing, it is rated at 100%. Steels that are more wear resistant are given a higher number, 154cm is 120% for example. Rex 121 is almost 300% or 3 times more wear resistant than 440C.

Hoss

Back