SUPER Knives

Mad Dog, Busse, Strider, etc.. There are lots of makers production and custom with loyal followers claiming these to be super knives. Cut, thrust, chop, hack through most materials known to man (and yes man too) with little or no edge degradation. Many of these knives carry hefty prices. I mostly believe that you get what you pay for and have owned knives from at least one of my named group. What do you think? Hype or fact? Do the "super" knives live up to their reputation?

By all accounts those you have mentioned are knives designed and made to withstand the toughest use and abuse short of deliberate destruction. You can put any of 'em on my Christmas list:)

Haven't used a Strider much, or even seen a Mad Dog in person, but Busse knives...definitely.
Again, I don't know about the MDs, but warranties like Busse and Strider have say plenty about the companies, the knives, and the men behind them.
It's alot easier to have confidence in a blade when you know the maker has absolute confidence in it.

If SUPER means High-Performance then you've left off your list my #1 choice which would be an Ed Fowler Prong horn.

I'll never own the other knives you've mentioned.

I can not speak from experience regarding Mad Dog or Strider but absolutely recommend the Busse knives. Not only would I stake my life on a Busse above others, but they are extremely tough (almost beyond belief), practical, reliable, comfortable, reasonably priced for the value provided and have a great warranty from a great company.

If all of the above doesn'y do it for you and you fall out of love with the knife, they hold their value very well too.

My "super knife" is MY customized REKAT Sifu. That monster folder will do whatever I ask of it, and then beg for more...:).

Yes, you get what you pay for. I can use a Busse for hours (chopping, slicing, etc.), and not be able to tell the difference in the edge (or very little in some cases). Also, unlike most other knives, if you hit a rock while chopping, there is no chipping, and not much rolling. Also, the lateral toughness is amazing. Just check out these performance videos:

http://www.bussecombat.com/videos.html

Busse Combat definitely makes "super knives" :D

Originally posted by glockman99
My "super knife" is MY customized REKAT Sifu. That monster folder will do whatever I ask of it, and then beg for more...:).

Really Glockman???? What tasks have you put your SIFU to????
Chad

My Super Busse Steel Heart has been spanked and beaten to death and it still works like the day I first used it:)
It holds an incredible edge and it takes any kind of abuse you can dish out and keep on going:D

I think Owen said it best though.

If a maker has complete faith in his product he will back it up to the fullest extent, and that is just what Busse has done:)

I agree with Phil. I have no experience with the other makers so have no opinion on their performance potential, but having bought a blade made by Ed I don't imagine I'll own one of their knives. My comment is not meant to disparage the work being done by any other smith, I guess you can compare it to finding the barber that cuts your hair just right...:D

-Jose

As I recall, Ed backs his knives in a similar manner to some of the other warranties mentioned. He told me that he guarantees you won't break one with your hands (slipping a pipe over the handle and bending the knife is excluded, obviously). I believe he will also buy back any knife for what you paid (but I doubt anyone has ever taken him up on that)!

Striders & Busse's , yea it doesn't get much better than that
and the nice part is you can buy these knives beat the sh!t
out of them,and then turn around and sell them for a couple
of hundred more dollars than what you paid...Gotta love that;)

my new super knife is a darrel ralph mini madd maxx 4" spearpoint talonite blade w/CF handles,i really think this is a super knife, i swear i am gonna carry this one, not just look at it lol, heck, ya only live once, i cant wait for the UPS truck, should be here wed or thu at the latest........

sifu

Does this mean super tough? I got A Ryan Wilson custom in D2 recently. I plan to take it out and beat the hekll out of it in the next few weeks. I will write a review. I am hoping it will be super. The shape, sheath, and design are all right for what I like. I hope to see the extra $100 or so I paid over the regular production knives
will show through and prove this one is better. I am smitten with thew Spyderco Viele in VG10. I think it is SUPER.

The Busse knives definitely live up to their rep, haven't tested the others myself, but the list may be one short. I just got my Camillus CUDA Maxx yesterday. I'm still knifesturbating with it and haven't cut a single hair yet, but I think it may fall into the superknife catagory with ease. Damn what a knife.

Camillus CUDA Maxx

Actually, I doubt that slipping a pipe over a Fowler knife and bending it would break it anyway. :) Doesnt he test his knives by bending them about 8 different ways anyway?

In all reality, the knife I carry in my truck for such purposes is an old Cold Steel Trailmaster that Bill Seigle reprofiled nicely. I figure if I screw this one up, something is wrong with me. I just cant seem to bring myself to using and abusing my expensive customs.

Ditto on the abused Busse Steel Heart holding it's own. First one I've found to keep its stuff together.

Mike

Back