Super polished edges

REK Knives

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I've seen some amazing work here on Bladeforums but haven't seen it consolidated or anything, so I'm starting this thread :thumbup: so post up photos/videos of your edges! Freehand or jig system like the Edge Pro or WEPS.

IMG_20160304_175226-X2.jpg
IMG_20160420_153327-X2.jpg

Last edited:

I should have cleaned the blade before I took my his picture. It is just my work edc though and has some adhesive on it. No big deal.

I should have cleaned the blade before I took my his picture. It is just my work edc though and has some adhesive on it. No big deal.

I love to see a knife that's well used... great job!

S90V Spyderco/Phil Wilson Southfork

Customers Spyderco Yojimbo 2

Maestro Wu BombShell Folder

Progression went as follows
Atoma Plates 140 , 400 , 600 , 1200
Shapton Pro Stones 220 , 1k , 1500 , 2k
Shapton Pro Stones enhanced with CBN 5k , 8k , 15k , 30k
Stropped with Nanocloth and Polycrystalline Diamond , 0.25u and 0.1u

Or something similar anyways. I may swap out for a Nubatama stone from time to time , or on simpler steels omit the CBN and Atoma Plates. Its always slighty different. Sometimes even adding 0.05u , 0.025u and 0.015u Poly Diamond

Progression went as follows
Atoma Plates 140 , 400 , 600 , 1200
Shapton Pro Stones 220 , 1k , 1500 , 2k
Shapton Pro Stones enhanced with CBN 5k , 8k , 15k , 30k
Stropped with Nanocloth and Polycrystalline Diamond , 0.25u and 0.1u

Or something similar anyways. I may swap out for a Nubatama stone from time to time , or on simpler steels omit the CBN and Atoma Plates. Its always slighty different. Sometimes even adding 0.05u , 0.025u and 0.015u Poly Diamond

Amazing... phenomenal work my friend! I am waiting on the 15k shapton pro stone currently but can't afford the 30k yet. Not sure how practical the 30k is, do you find that it makes much of a difference?

Everything has to be perfect going into the 30k. It is definitely noticeably sharper than the 8k/15k. But it is a significant investment in time to get there. As everything at every stone has to be perfect. Leave behind a few diamond scratches and you have to go alllllll the way back to 220 and start over. Because you definitely notice them when cutting things , and see them in the finish.

Everything has to be perfect going into the 30k. It is definitely noticeably sharper than the 8k/15k. But it is a significant investment in time to get there. As everything at every stone has to be perfect. Leave behind a few diamond scratches and you have to go alllllll the way back to 220 and start over. Because you definitely notice them when cutting things , and see them in the finish.

Oh trust me, i know how it is to get all the way up to your highest stone only to realize you have deep scratches that you failed to get out lol. i have spend more hours than i care to think about doing stuff like that! Thanks for the feedback!

Here's another might as well go ahead and post ;)

Mirror%2520Edit%25203.JPG

I sharpened both of these on my KME with the diamond stones. I then taped up some 600 grit wet and dry sandpaper to one of the stones. This got rid of most of the scratches left by the diamond stones. I then taped up some 1000 grit sand paper to one of the stones and got a nice dull mirror edge. Then a few strokes of the Stropman strop to make them nice and shiny!
159476246.jpg

CTS-XHP Military with bevels set with an Atoma 140 on an EP, then refined on waterstones up to the Naniwa Junpaku 8k and finished on a 0.5 diamond loaded strop.

Back