8212e0a30ad04cbae129b73b59609d8a.jpg
2067e57f88535c95f6e93f943bcffd94.jpg
99bfd7e83063cf68808b83fd171c463b.jpg
2aa3336f201e21213af96026ba847d3b.jpg
e64a0ad766577325812fbc0fdfcc6ff3.jpg
e91bc682c9c24045cff4527c3dd04617.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

For Josh, and anyone else using the Wicked Edge:

Are you using the 1200/1600 ceramic stones after the 1k's?

Are any of you using the new superfine ceramic (1.4 micron/.6 micron) stones?

I seemed to have a noticeable improvement in finish by using the 1200/1600 stones followed by the diamond lapping film.

I didn't really see much improvement going from the 1200/1600 to the superfine stones. In fact, it seemed to work better going from the 1K's to the superfine then following it up with the diamond lapping film.

I seemed to have a noticeable improvement in finish by using the 1200/1600 stones followed by the diamond lapping film.

I didn't really see much improvement going from the 1200/1600 to the superfine stones. In fact, it seemed to work better going from the 1K's to the superfine then following it up with the diamond lapping film.

Skip the ceramics all together and go with the diamond lapping films.

Really interesting question. I have a somewhat similar situation. I use and Edge Pro Apex. I recently added a Shapton 8K and Chosera 10K to my stone line up but I don't like the result I get from the 8 & 10K stones. I get a better mirror polished edge when I work up to 1k on the Edge Pro stones, skip the 8K & 10K and go right to the 2K, 3K then 6k polishing tapes. I'm surprised but it happens every time. If anyone knows why this would be, I'd love to know what I'm missing or doing incorrectly (re: the Shapton 8k & Chosera 10k stones). And I am soaking the Chosera for at least 15 min. before it ever touches a blade, as per instructions.

Anyone have a progression suggestion for tapes on a WE? I finish with the fine and super fine ceramic stones then the 1/.5u paste on leather but I'm not satisfied with the results...

Anyone have a progression suggestion for tapes on a WE? I finish with the fine and super fine ceramic stones then the 1/.5u paste on leather but I'm not satisfied with the results...

Are you able to take pictures of the result? What type of steel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really interesting question. I have a somewhat similar situation. I use and Edge Pro Apex. I recently added a Shapton 8K and Chosera 10K to my stone line up but I don't like the result I get from the 8 & 10K stones. I get a better mirror polished edge when I work up to 1k on the Edge Pro stones, skip the 8K & 10K and go right to the 2K, 3K then 6k polishing tapes. I'm surprised but it happens every time. If anyone knows why this would be, I'd love to know what I'm missing or doing incorrectly (re: the Shapton 8k & Chosera 10k stones). And I am soaking the Chosera for at least 15 min. before it ever touches a blade, as per instructions.

I don't find the Chosera stones to really polish... even the 10K... so I don't think your results are surprising. The results you're getting seems consistent with EdgePro's Grit Chart... (their 1K EP stone is around an 8K Shapton).

Every steel I typically get the same results I've spent a hours polishing and don't get a clean polish, I'm considering trying the tapes...

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/131179900@N04/31683256581/

I can tell you that several people in the W.E. forum have moved from ceramics/leather to diamond polish tapes, and have been posting some impressive results. I don't think anyone who's tried them has switched back.

I don't find the Chosera stones to really polish... even the 10K... so I don't think your results are surprising. The results you're getting seems consistent with EdgePro's Grit Chart... (their 1K EP stone is around an 8K Shapton).

Thanks, cbwx34. Makes sense and correlates with the results I've been getting when skipping the 8 & 10k and going right to the polishing tapes. Plus I like working dry at that point and not having to worry about slurry mess at the final polishing stages.:)

Last edited:
Some amazing edges in this thread. I look through this thread periodically for incentive. Tomorrow I will pull out the Wicked Edge and put a nice edge on my main EDC which happens to be a Sebenza 25 at the moment.

Your edges make me totally envious, Bobby lol Always awesome, perfect polished mirrors & edge geometry

Back