Super polished edges

Well even when i keep factory edges on WE i average like 2 hrs with some coffee breaks in btw but thats when i start from a factory edge.

I take my time have up to 1,000 diamond then 1200-1600 and 1,4mic/0.7mic(forget the exact mic) followed by strops

Just curious if there is a magic number of strokes with each grit?

20? 40? 60? 100? Etc. Are the stroke numbers diff for diamond vs ceramic vs strops?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Just curious if there is a magic number of strokes with each grit?

20? 40? 60? 100? Etc. Are the stroke numbers diff for diamond vs ceramic vs strops?

There really is no magic number of strokes as the time and effort varies with the blade steel, angle and how deep the scratches are.

The rule of thumb is this: Don't move to the next grit without having removed ALL the scratches from the previous grit.

And another guideline/rule to live by: Use only as coarse a grit as you need. It's much better to start out too fine (like 400/600) and go backwards a bit if you need to than it is to put deep scratches in the bevel by using too rough a grit.

The extra time it takes making sure you don't leave deep scratches is FAR LESS than it takes to take out those deep scratches!

Josh, I'd be curious about how much time it takes you too, on average. I don't know how to judge. I'm a hack hobbyist so I tend to just take my time usually. Doing it professionally, with folks waiting with bated breath to get their stuff back from you so they can show off your awesome edges, must force you to be a lot more "time conscious" (per knife), eh?

As with you Gregg it all depends... I would say reprofiling normally takes about 15 min on average w/ the 100 grit stones, and then about 1.5-2hrs for a full mirrored edge. I normally have to start from scratch w/ the 100's first because the edge is either super bad or because I'm reprofiling and have to make it even (I recommend reprofiling almost always on a mirrored edge). There is no shortcutting the time whether professional or not... quality takes time and that's all there is to it! :)

IMG_20170325_123108-X2.jpg

Josh, you've achieved perfection again with the CRK, (on the Jack of Hearts above). So I'm thinking of maybe not doing my CKF Muscle myself & sending her to you (the master) for an insanely gorgeous, mirrored 12º edge on its 4 in. blade of m390...with maybe a 15º-18º micro if it will markedly enhance razor sharpness beyond the 12º secondary. I'm seeking to max out an uber-broad, accute secondary. If 10º is doable, I'd likely go for it. I'm envisioning a breathtaking showpiece that will slice silently, like Satan's sharpest claw. (vivid enough?) -- I've already disassembled her and tweaked the action to exactly the detent feel I like, and she still rockets out with no play in any direction once locked. So just a tiny dab of blue locket on the pivot now. Now operating better than I imagined was possible. Detent just the way I like it. She's perfect...but her final, mind blowingly awesome edge...I can see no one but you doing this for me. Talk to me about cost & realistic turn around time please. Pm me if you don't like to talk specific job details on a public thread. I'm fine talking in either venue. Lemme know my friend. I'm excited about the possibilities.;)

My contribution.
Homemade jigg that allows me to sharpen in fixed angles.
120, 240, 400, 800, 1000, 2000, 3000, 5000, 7000 grit

Folder: 12,5 deg with a 15deg microbevel
Fixed blade: 15deg with an 18deg microbevel
Bonus: Microbevel clearly visible on the large one.

ioZktbC.jpg

9xhVgsd.jpg

Okv2yMG.jpg

I have been using the edge pro apex with a bunch of extras and find myself wondering if I should move up to the WE system. I can get a very good result from the EP, but I feel like I can't achieve a true mirror edge with it. Here's my latest, I reprofiled and polished a 0562. 17 degrees per side and went 140, 400, 1000 diamond plates and then used the 2000 and 6000 polish tapes.

Attachments

• IMG_2756.JPG
    IMG_2756.JPG
    215.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I have been using the edge pro apex with a bunch of extras and find myself wondering if I should move up to the WE system. I can get a very good result from the EP, but I feel like I can't achieve a true mirror edge with it. Here's my latest, I reprofiled and polished a 0562. 17 degrees per side and went 140, 400, 1000 diamond plates and then used the 2000 and 6000 polish tapes.
-------------------------------------------------------

I did this with an Edge Pro Apex. I list the stone/grit progression I used, right on the photo. You can definitely get a nice mirrored (insanely sharp) edge with the Edge Pro. I got nice mirrored edges with a Lansky before I got the Edge Pro. Like with any system, it's time, effort & practice.final comp pic_edited-1_zpsyqnjrozb.jpg

Attachments

• final comp pic_edited-1_zpsyqnjrozb.jpg
    final comp pic_edited-1_zpsyqnjrozb.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
-------------------------------------------------------

I did this with an Edge Pro Apex. I list the stone/grit progression I used, right on the photo. You can definitely get a nice mirrored (insanely sharp) edge with the Edge Pro. I got nice mirrored edges with a Lansky before I got the Edge Pro. Like with any system, it's time, effort & practice.View attachment 699037
That looks great! 13 degrees on the bevel makes for a large reflection to show it off a bit more. Are you using all edge pro stones or different brands?

That looks great! 13 degrees on the bevel makes for a large reflection to show it off a bit more. Are you using all edge pro stones or different brands?
--------
Thanks. - All edge pro stones & tapes. Tried a couple high grit Chosera & Shapton stones (8K & 10K) and didn't like them/the results I got. Still have them but they are just set aside. I'm really happy with the results I get with the edge pro stones & tapes alone. I do a bit of free hand stropping after the tapes, the icing on the cake, but that's just for final refinement. The edge was that mirror polished by the end of the last (6k) tape & before the stropping.

BTW...the edge you put on your 0562 looks good to me!

Last edited:
Got a brand new MP1 in natural canvas micarta today. Fantastic knife, and as such it had to meet the Wicked Edge. I took this one a bit further, laying it back to 15 degrees per side to see how it did. Ya'll can be the judge. I can tell you for sure that it cuts like a laser.

CKrQ3hE.jpg

tOXx3k2.jpg

qWRUK0R.jpg

BnmpXvB.jpg

Ik9Lzbm.jpg

7dmvbGL.jpg

I did. I just bought it from a member on the exchange that had a really tough time trying to sharpen this knife. Because the CF scales project so far out at the base of the blade, getting one clean angle from tip to base is impossible, at least on an Edge Pro (he has one too and tried reprofiling it). There's a real design flaw with this knife. He got it only to a pretty coarse grit, saw that he had multiple bevels within the secondary...then, I believe, gave up & sold it off fairly inexpensively. I got it because I wanted to give it a go & see what I could do, plus I like the knife. I just got it today, took it down, cleaned & lubed it, took some pressure off the lock bar (which at first caused an insanely harsh detent, a finger killer like many of the original 0452s when everyone was complaining about a way too harsh detent) and that made it flip really nicely, still centered, no play. Then I began working on the blade. Right away I understood the problem the previous owner had due to its design. I never want to sharpen one of these again. Put in about an hour & a half on my Edge Pro, reprofiled it again, got it as close to one clean secondary bevel as I could going through every stone & all the polishing tape grits up to 6K, then convexed it a bit by hand for a while on two different strops until i finally got it to where I was happy with it, or as happy as I was going to get. Looks a lot better now than a few hours ago and, like your beautiful Hinderers (above), it cuts like a laser. BTW, great work on your stuff Halden.

^^ Great work guys!!

But if you want a slicer that cuts like a laser :D ... 15 dps mirror polish around HHT4 with the behind-the-edge thickness .010" or so and a full flat? Oh yeah ;)

IMG_20170420_193030-X2.jpg

IMG_20170420_193000-X2.jpg

I did. I just bought it from a member on the exchange that had a really tough time trying to sharpen this knife. Because the CF scales project so far out at the base of the blade, getting one clean angle from tip to base is impossible, at least on an Edge Pro (he has one too and tried reprofiling it). There's a real design flaw with this knife. He got it only to a pretty coarse grit, saw that he had multiple bevels within the secondary...then, I believe, gave up & sold it off fairly inexpensively. I got it because I wanted to give it a go & see what I could do, plus I like the knife. I just got it today, took it down, cleaned & lubed it, took some pressure off the lock bar (which at first caused an insanely harsh detent, a finger killer like many of the original 0452s when everyone was complaining about a way too harsh detent) and that made it flip really nicely, still centered, no play. Then I began working on the blade. Right away I understood the problem the previous owner had due to its design. I never want to sharpen one of these again. Put in about an hour & a half on my Edge Pro, reprofiled it again, got it as close to one clean secondary bevel as I could going through every stone & all the polishing tape grits up to 6K, then convexed it a bit by hand for a while on two different strops until i finally got it to where I was happy with it, or as happy as I was going to get. Looks a lot better now than a few hours ago and, like your beautiful Hinderers (above), it cuts like a laser. BTW, great work on your stuff Halden.

Very nice! Yeah I've thought that model would be a bit of a nightmare to sharpen. Well done!

Back