Super polished edges

I'm not sure I understand the mirror edge thing.
Because an edge is shiny doesn't mean it's sharp. In fact, it could be incredibly dull.
If done properly a mirror edge can be hair whittling sharp..plus I’m one of those that believes a mirror edge in fact does hold longer than a “toothier edge”

Last edited:
15 DPS makes a big difference.

It does, and I did wipe the blade down with rubbing alcohol and a microfiber cloth to remove any residual gunk just before I shot the video. But it is what it is, a well used edge (for a few days at that point) that's holding up nicely. To be honest, I haven't taken this one out of the (edc) pocket yet. I'm surprised at just how much I'm liking this particular Kizer. I also took a little tension off the lockbar and love the action. Now it's as smooth and as drop-shut as any Shiro or Thorburn (my smoothness benchmarks) that I own. Hate to sound like a McDonald's commercial, but...I'm lovin' it.

duu6ygH.jpg

A slightly different view of the Manix XL.

Note: this started as a non-coated version; I then found a good deal on a DLC coated with a trashed handle. I swapped the blade out, and then checked and found the Putman scales. I finally have the orange-handled DLC Manix XL I've wanted for quite a while.

2MYwpMP.jpg

Awesome work getting put up recently, here is my Shiro looking for that winning ticket!

Maybe someone could give me advice on how I can make this bevel bigger ? I’m not too fond of how thin it is “behind the edge”. Should I just reproduce at say 18° to make my bevel bigger than go back to my preferred bevel angle??

Hey guys so I was lucky enough to have one of my clients send me a WE Knife, this is the Zeta 720A. Personally I can see where they cut corners and at this price point the knife is not for me one bit. Hope you all enjoy!

RLDubbya RLDubbya thar patina does look pretty sweet! Though I’m going for the blue-ish hue patina caused by hot protein.

Thanks, man - appreciate you making the effort to pay me a compliment. If you haven't figured it out, I love to use the mirror edge to either set off another visual feature of the knife (it can make a blade look longer, it can help to make handle colors "pop"). I think it works pretty well in this case with the patina: there's this old-looking, abused-looking blade - looking all the more abused and old because of the super shiny edge.

As long as you figure out how to make the mirror edge as sharp as other edges, why not?

Awesome work getting put up recently, here is my Shiro looking for that winning ticket!

Maybe someone could give me advice on how I can make this bevel bigger ? I’m not too fond of how thin it is “behind the edge”. Should I just reproduce at say 18° to make my bevel bigger than go back to my preferred bevel angle??

I would drop to a lower angle - 15 degrees or less - to get the width, and then I would add a tiny microbevel at my desired "working" angle. Done properly, the microbevel will not be all that noticeable unless you want it to be, it gives you a way to touch up your edge without trashing the entire mirrored edge, and you can end up with a sharper knife.

I’d avoid doing a more acute angle/wider bevel on the Shiro, due to how they do the plunge grind. It’s super easy to start developing a noticeable recurve that way. In the pic above it already looks like it’s kicking out a bit at the heel, and a wider bevel is going to accentuate that further.

Last edited:
I’d avoid doing a more acute angle/wider bevel on the Shiro, due to how they do the plunge grind. It’s super easy to start developing a noticeable recurve that way. In the pic above it already looks like it’s kicking out a but at the heel, and a rider bevel is going to accentuate that further.
Ahhhhh I see what you mean, good eye my friend! Glad I decided to just match the edge in that case. It’s a shame that eventually though, this seems unenviable over time with how the plunge grind is made? What a bummer ...

Ahhhhh I see what you mean, good eye my friend! Glad I decided to just match the edge in that case. It’s a shame that eventually though, this seems unenviable over time with how the plunge grind is made? What a bummer ...

Yeah, it’s kinda my main beef with Shiros. It’s what made me sell my 95T. I love mostly everything else about them. Well, besides the prices, lol.

Back