Super polished edges

Firm time today ever using the edge pro, 220 to 1k then 2300 and 4k polishing stones. Also, second time I've ever sharpened this knife and this is the only Spyderco I've ever sharpened. Sharpening the ricasso on a Spyderco is the worse thing about a Spyderco. I've got shaptons coming in Saturday and time on Monday to see how they work.

ckJHg0q.jpg

Last edited:
Firm time today ever using the edge pro, 220 to 1k then 2300 and 4k polishing stones. Also, second time I've ever sharpened this knife and this is the only Spyderco I've ever sharpened. Sharpening the ricasso on a Spyderco is the worse thing about a Spyderco. I've got shaptons coming in Saturday and time on Monday to see how they work.

ckJHg0q.jpg
Get a diamond file set and add a little sharpening choil, this made my Spydercos a heck of a lot easier if you don’t mind the little notch. If done right I don’t think it looks bad, nor will people notice right off the bat.

Here is one I did:

So I finally got to handle a CRK Umnum and my god am I hooked..it was very hard shipping this one back to the client!
My only pet peeve on the knife is the lock bar..the sebenza is a much nicer frame lock.

Last edited:
So I finally got to handle a CRK Umnum and my god am I hooked..it was very hard shipping this one back to the client!
My only pet peeve on the knife is the lock bar..the sebenza is a much nicer frame lock.

I know how you feel. My Umnumzaan is one of my absolute favorite knives...and that slightly softer CRK S35VN accepts a hell of a nice mirror edge. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I know how you feel. My Umnumzaan is one of my absolute favorite knives.
It’s definitely what I’m saving for next. I was thinking about trading away my L21 for it but I just can’t bring myself to give away the edge geometry of a Sebenza man..that blade is a work of art in my eyes.

It’s definitely what I’m saving for next. I was thinking about trading away my L21 for it but I just can’t bring myself to give away the edge geometry of a Sebenza man..that blade is a work of art in my eyes.

Yeah, don't give up your Seb for an Umnum. Find a way to get both. The Umnum is great, I definitely miss mine. It's one I could see reacquiring for sure. Here's the edge I put on the one I used to have:

v3KQga7.jpg

Yeah, don't give up your Seb for an Umnum. Find a way to get both. The Umnum is great, I definitely miss mine. It's one I could see reacquiring for sure. Here's the edge I put on the one I used to have:

v3KQga7.jpg
I agree my man..I’ve finally broke even on my WE System so now any knives I do, will be going towards the Zaan budget! To me that’s a beautiful thing.

Killer edge by the way. I must say you’re one of the few that got me into the damn mirrors

ckJHg0q.jpg

You're going to LOVE the Shapton Glass stones for polishing. I just got them this week. I'll be posting some pictures on the two knives I've hit them with this morning.

Peace

Morning gang, this thread has had me hooked for months now, and has fueled an obsession that has had me spending way more on sharpening gear than knives for a while now. In any event, here's my first submission to this thread.

The knife is a cheap Kershaw boot knife called "The Secret Agent" or something cheesy like that. It came with only one edge ground, and frankly some pretty bad\off center grinds all around. I figured it would be a perfect candidate to practice on, and I'm pretty blown away by what I was able to do with it.

I started with the CKTG house branded diamond Edge Pro plates, 180, then 400, then 1000. They chewed through whatever this thing was made of like butter. I then switched over to a Gritomatic 2500 Silicon Carbide stone, then a Shapton Glass 4000, then a Shapton Glass 8000. Finally I lightly stropped it with CKTG house branded (the stuff that's like $5\syringe) .5micron Diamond Paste on a Balsa strop.

Total time spent from a ~220 grit single edged blade to a mirror polished double edged dagger was a little over an hour.

Before
MdAMk9Gl.jpg

Tima4HFl.jpg

After
QQVMOnzl.jpg

vGTXhGCl.jpg

It's actually a lot harder to capture a mirrored edge than I thought. I'm sure I'll get better at it, as I'm hooked now. I'm also in love with the Shapton Glass stones. The Edge Pro polishing tapes work well, but I seem to really blow through them. The Shaptons produce a very similar finish, but seem like they'll last a super long time. The only thing I've noted is that they do tend to get gunked up with black gunk a fair bit. Having a good Nagura stone, or hitting them quickly with like a 400grit DMT plate keeps them good though.

Thanks for all the invaluable info in this thread, I'm sure you'll see me around here some more.

Last edited:
For my second submission to this thread, I give you my insane zero-grind polished blade Kwaiken project. In sharp contrast to the speed and efficiency that my little Kershaw boot knife took, I have been grinding and grinding and destroying stones and a diamond plate and buying stones and sanding and polishing and driving myself insane on this blade for more hours than I care to admit over the course of at least a month.

After getting hooked on this thread I had to get myself an Edge Pro. Instead of practicing on a few cheap, easy kitchen knives I jumped straight into the fire with my EDC and current favorite knife. I decided I was going to re-profile it to give it a wider bevel with a better angle for cutting. This went ok, except I didn't do anything to protect the secondary, so I wound up scratching the nice machined finish. This drove me insane, ruining my clean lines, which prompted me to attempt to sand\grind the machining off of the secondary. Somewhere along that path I decided that it would be a good idea to try to take a D2 blade all the way down to a zero grind by hand on an Edge Pro.

Anyway, enough talking, here's the fruit of my labor.

Before...
KVef3YVl.jpg

After...
pLRhnppl.jpg

Before...
eD4GgH3l.jpg

After...
UFLTC5ol.jpg

Before...
TdPb0qRl.jpg

After...
QxWVL15l.jpg

DJUWUHNl.jpg

3whKKDxl.jpg

It was a light knife before, at 3.36oz, but after all of my grinding and hogging off metal it weighs 3.19oz now. I can't even begin to describe how much of a pain trying to grind nearly a quarter oz of D2 by hand and maintain a straight smooth enough surface to mirror polish it was. I don't think I'd ever attempt this again without a grinder or sander.

That being said, I am super happy with how it turned out. It cuts soooo much better now, it will push cut paper under it's own weight now.

Peace...

Here was my little Sunday project.

Knife is an Ontario 499 Air Force Survival Knife. Various military branches have been issuing them to pilots for decades. They're coated in some heavy zinc parkarized coating that almost feels like a sharpening stone. It's 1095 ~59rc I think, and pretty really tough. The teeth on the back of it are supposed to be able to saw through an aluminum aircraft hull should the pilot need to escape from one.

It holds extra meaning to me because my stepson bought it for me as a birthday present a few years back. He and I have a long history of giving each other stabby and otherwise dangerous things as gifts.

Here's how she started. I'm going to say the factory edge was literally somewhere around 80 grit, maybe more like 60.

rQWFDPNl.jpg

oNMMJkol.jpg

I re-profiled it with the gritomatic 120 Silicon Carbide, then took it through the progression on those (120,240, 600, 1000, 2500), then the 4K Shapton and then the 8K.

Here's how she turned out.

3TWlGDVl.jpg

g5OQcZOl.jpg

jqqWbB5l.jpg

This was the first blade that I did the sharpening exclusively with the Gritomatic SiC stones, and so far I'm really digging them. They cut fairly quickly, don't load up, and seem like they're going to last a long time.

Peace...

Back