Super polished edges

This thread has been lamentably neglected lately.

bF8Hidd.jpg

Another recent bit of edge work. This is my latest 940, and it's sticking around. Easily the best ground 940 I've ever had. So thin behind the edge compared to the other ones I've had and sharpened. This guy is wearing a 16 dps edge. And oh my how thin it is! Here's hoping Benchmade is grinding more of them this way these days.

iNWikit.jpg

A couple real beauties today. Did the new Giant Mouse Biblio at a super slicy 15 degrees per side and the ZT 0609 at 17 degrees per side. Both came out looking really great.

To keep things interesting, and see if I cold tell a difference, I did them both with exactly the same progression, except that on one of them I moved to the strops after finishing on the 1600 grit ceramic and then on the other I went all the way through the 0.6 micron ceramic before stropping. Can you tell which one got which treatment? :D

rbah9gq.jpg

JWkgz5D.jpg

pdUS9hA.jpg

I am going to say (based on the photos provided) you went all the way to .6 before stropping, on the…ZT.

I am going to say (based on the photos provided) you went all the way to .6 before stropping, on the…ZT.

It's actually the Mouse. Funny, I know. It may be somewhat the pictures, but I'm still figuring out how much I like the superfine ceramics on the Wicked Edge.

It's actually the Mouse. Funny, I know. It may be somewhat the pictures, but I'm still figuring out how much I like the superfine ceramics on the Wicked Edge.

I still have yet to get the finished results I like with only stones, even going up through super fine stones. I always end up looking at the results and then continue to Egde Pro tapes (2K, 3K & 6K on glass blanks) and a couple of strops...to get the finished (true mirror) edge I like. I find that achieving "razor sharpness" isn't all that tough, but getting that with a sparkling, crystal clear, perfectly reflective (with as few visible imperfections as possible) secondary bevel usually is. Just my 2¢ for what it's worth. ;)

I still have yet to get the finished results I like with only stones, even going up through super fine stones. I always end up looking at the results and then continue to Egde Pro tapes (2K, 3K & 6K on glass blanks) and a couple of strops...to get the finished (true mirror) edge I like. I find that achieving "razor sharpness" isn't all that tough, but getting that with a sparkling, crystal clear, perfectly reflective (with as few visible imperfections as possible) secondary bevel usually is. Just my 2¢ for what it's worth. ;)

Yeah, one of these days I'll try getting some of the lapping films going. I haven’t yet gone down that road, just stones and strops so far.

Back