Super polished edges

MBUrkVD.jpg

My first attempt at anything approaching mirror finish. This is a zdp189 endura with a 3000 edgepro polishing tape on a tsprof k02. I've identified some changes I want to make, making a balsa strop today with some chromium oxide paste and give that a go.

Nice work!

MBUrkVD.jpg

This is with a 15 dps edge bevel. I usean 18dps micro bevel with 5 passes per side with 3000. I built a balsa strop for my tsptof yesterday and am playing with that and green compound (harbor freight special for now)

I use stones up to 10k then I strop with black, white, and green compound. I finish off with mags for the mirror polish look (gets rid of the haze). That’s just for the initial setting of the blade, from now on it’ll just get the strop treatment and keep scratches from use. I’ll only hit it with stones when an actual sharpening is needed.

Finally found some time to work on a new acquisition. First time working on 20CV and then finishing with some higher grit Shaptons (4k & 8K) instead of Edge Pro tapes (2K, 3K & 6K). As always, ended with green Strop Block then a .25 micron diamond paste strop. Final results, look & razor sharpness, seems the same.
ZT609 mirror edge.jpg

15dps convex on the Wicked Edge using 30/15/9/6/3/1 micron jende diamond lapping films applied to blank leather strops followed by .5/.25 micron diamond sprays applied to nanocloth. I set the initial bevels using the 400/600g plates. Got it to hair whittling and perfectly mirrored in a lot less time than v-grinding usually takes. 20 minutes total instead of 45-60 to reprofile and polish from 18dps to 15dps. I didn’t apex it on the plates, instead just got ~90% of the way there before switching the the leather backed films.
8NYbnTA.jpg

vG4oiro.jpg

Last edited:
Back