Super polished edges

I don't do a ton of mirrored edges any more, just one here or there. But recently I had 3 to knock out, here is one of them!

i-h9H56B7-X2.jpg

You, uhm, got a little facet there where it goes from the edge to the tanto tip... :D

Holy smokes, that's clean.

Looks good with a polished edge. Always like your work.

One of my favorite knives, had mine in my pocket today.

It really does carry fantastically. It was my only knife for the last two weeks when on vacation. I liked it even more than I was expecting to.

Mostly it's just taking a lot of time and being methodical, there are multiple approaches to getting a super polished edges as demonstrated by others above. I use lapping film down to 3um, then strops to .25um, alternating directions to make sure the prior scratches are completely gone =)

Fantastic work as always Josh!

Just curious, but do you use balsa, leather or kangaroo strops?

Bet that took some time!
Actually it only took about an hour with most of the time being used changing grinding and strop belts. I did it on a Reeder 2x72 with a modified Reeder knife jig. I used the platen as opposed to using the slack belt area on the top of the grinder so I would have a "V" edge rather than a convex. Set the initial 20° per side with a 3M Trizact 80 grit followed by 180, 280, 360, 600, 1000, and 2000. Finished at 18° per side with leather strop belt charged with green chromium oxide followed with pink "scratchless" compound. Apologizes for my poor photographic skills compared to your many beautiful knife images...

Back