Super Sized SARGE Knife aka Sergeant MAJOR

Steely_Gunz

Got the Khukuri fevah
A few weeks back I opened up one of those coveted USPS boxes with Yangdu's unmistakable lovely handwriting on the address. I will admit, the holidsu season and work have kept me hopping and I had not be following all the new comings and goings of blades making their way in from the shop. Shame on me, I know.

After tearing into the box like a 5 year old on Christmas morning (Its been nearly 17 years, and I never tire of breaking into these;)), I pulled out a wrapped package. It FELT like a knife. I kinda KNEW it was a knife. However for its size it felt...well, light (by HI standards).

Upon opening it up, I found an old friend staring back at me...well, sorta. What the kamis had done was to reimagine a knife they had already been making a decade ago. The humble and oft times underappreciated SARGE (or KPH as I call it...I'll get into that in a moment).
20200107-161633.jpg

A bit of history: The SARGE was the brainchild of our good forum friend Kismet. Now Kismet will probably deny this (and he'd be wrong. I've told him as much), but he has more practical woodswalking wisdom than any 10 random people. He's a guy who is often quiet, but he speaks volumes in a few words. Anyway, some years back he found an old file and crafted a small Nesmuk-like blade out of it. He married it to an old piece of antler (I think) with some glue and dubbed it SARGE after another forum friend who also was a very practical and worldly fellow with lots of outdoor experience (here and abroad). The SARGE was a no nonsense little belt knife that clocked in around 3 or 4" of blade and weighed next to nothing. It was a handly little fellow that could accomplish most any real task you might find on a walk (log cabin building and battoning through a cord of firewood not withstanding). It was for all intents and purposes a practical hunter. So to give credit where credit is due, I have always suggested giving the SARGE the subtitle of "Kismet Practical Hunter" or KPH, and it was produced by HI to be sold to y'all.

I had a SARGE many years ago produced. The kamis made it pretty close to Kismet's design, but a bit thin and hard in the tip and mine snapped about 1/8" off while giving it a hard strop. Yangdu in typical Yangdu fashion immediately sent me a new one. Kismet asked if he could have the broken one, and Yangdu said sure.

A few weeks go by, and I receive a package from Kismet. Inside is what he dubbed "the Corporal" as the break at the tip had demoted the knife;) He reground the edge and gave it more of the Nesmuk vibe that the kamis had lost in translation and had also set it into a piece of antler for a handle with an old spoon handle crafted as a guard. That little knife probably rode more miles with me than any other. I only retired it after nearly losing it on the trail. It sits in my drawer and I plan on passing on to someone who can appreciate it one day. Special knife from a good man.

20200107-181039.jpg

My old friend the Corporal next to the beastly new guy.

ANYWAY, on the the new knife, right? What I found in the box from Yangdy a couple of weeks ago was not the tiny practical hunter. Instead I found a knife that would quarter an elk with no problem. To continue the play on words, I've dubbed this one Sergeant Major as it's a major step up in size with a different use.

First a few specs:
This knife is about 11" overall

20200107-161728.jpg

About 6" is blade.
4.5" of that is cutting surface (I'll explain)
20200107-161703.jpg

Just a hair under 1/4" thick at the spine

Belly for days and about an inch and 5/8 wide at the widest point.

Like the original SARGE it is a partial tang. Plenty strong. I have no way of knowing for sure how far the tang is set, but a gut/feel is most likely about halfway. Just a guess, but I dont think you could break this knife without setting out to do so.
The benefit to this is that to my hand it feels like this knife is about 9oz overall. Crazy easy to pack for such a large knife.

I haven't put it through its paces yet, so I can't review it beyond that it will indeed slice lemons for cocktails, but I have been EDC the last several days along with the rest of my kit, and it has grown on me even more than I thought it would. I'll try to do a little backyard bushcraft with it this weekend if the weather cooperates.

So instead I'll give you a bit of a run down on some of its quirks. Nothing bad about these, just deviations from the parent knife....besides size.
This knife is only roughly the shape of the old SARGE. It's got the belly and a bit of the drop at the spine, but the original prototype was more of a Nesmuk style. The Sergeant Major also has some really nice shallow fullers in the center of the blade. Not exactly where you would expect them, but it gives the blade an AK vibe when you get up close.

Finally, the edge on this knife has a lot of potential to customize it to your liking. My particular sample is completely without edge for a solid inch up from the guard.
20200107-161844.jpg

Flat and squared off. It then takes it's time for another half inch meeting up with the edge. This does limit the fine work this knife can easily do just holding the handle, but it does give you an area that you can choke up on where you can put the guard through your grip.

20200107-184222.jpg

It's not uncomfortable, but I think it could be a little more rounded off there if that is the purpose. In short, you could rough in an edge all the way to the guard, take the shoulders off the edge to make it more comfy to hold, or just cut in a monstrous choil if that's your thing. I think I'm just going to hog off the squareness of it and use it for an area to choke up. Works great for that.

So final first impressions, this is a awesome knife. I feel it will snap cut beyond its weight class, and the edge is ridiculously sharp. I roughed in a bit more at the tip then took it to 2000 grit paper before a leather strop. Hair pops now.

So, if you are looking for good all purpose belt knife with a bit more reach but won't pull your pants down, give the Sergeant Major a look. It's just good medicine. To paraphrase Kismet, enjoy every large sandwich.

20200107-161522.jpg

I'm really looking forward to putting this one through the paces:)

Thanks for taking a look.

I think Yangdu sent me one of those awhile back and I scratched some on the handle, it was a very cool knife. I love the little corporal, pretty sweet. I got a similar knife from Kismet made by Bura. I think it is a Practical hunter if I recall. The tip is kind of rounded so it will slip through ribs, bones and such and not stick into a bone. Pretty thoughtful.
I had another I got used (where did I get that one?) I'm sure whoever sent it remembers, remind me, that I carry, the one Kismet sent was shiny brand new and I intend to keep it that way.

What is that thing upper right corner, almost looks like a gun? I can visualize the small chuckle as you draw that to apprehend the perpetrator.

What is that thing upper right corner, almost looks like a gun? I can visualize the small chuckle as you draw that to apprehend the perpetrator.

That's my "forget it's on me" gun. North American Arms Black Widow in 22 magnum. Lotta bark for a little puppy, but it's better than a sharp stick;). I'm a sucker for a mouse gun, admittedly. These little NAA guns are well made and don't cost a ton of money. I find they multiply in my sock drawer. You can kind of see that little piece of black leather in the bottom of the picture. That's a "wallet" for my front right pocket that holds my Inkosi in the front and the little Black Widow tucks behind it on a form fit pouch.

20200107-162002.jpg

Don't worry. My Shield .45 is comfortably stuffed IWB. The BW is always on me no matter what and works great for times I can't dress around something more robust.

I had a little NAA it was just a 22 as I recall, I had to catch it every time I shot it. I parted with it.
It was cute and yours is even cuter but I'll stick to my 1911.

Greetings and salutations, Steely Gunz !!! You neglected to mention that you have the wing-span of a Condor, so most folks can't really compare their grip to yours. :)
Here's a Bura KPH, and the original-from-a-field-file blade design. The original was mostly hand-sanded with 400-600 grit, and roughed out with a single wheel bench grinder. I have few skills.

The Sergeant-Major (Brit spelling) is awesome! Nicely described, as I would expect.

On the Black Widow: I had a Freedom Arms model for years in .22 lr with one inch barrel. I occasionally would forget I had it in my pocket, which was problematic since I never applied for a concealed carry. Finally sold it some years ago. It HAD to have been the same dies that NAA used, for the two (in the same caliber) were literally identical. I can remember taking a box of .22s out and shooting at paper plates. I averaged about 4 hits per 10 shots at 10 feet, and by the end of the box, had just about crippled my right hand. It would have benefited from the swing-down replacement grips. A close up gun, to be sure.

VERY good to see your name and postings. Be gentle with yourself.KPH Bura (left) Orig (right).JPG KPH Bura (top), orig bottom.JPG KPH Bura Left, Orig right.JPG

Last edited:
This is one of the Sarge knives I bought. There was a short spell when all I would buy was small knives. I guess I got bored but I’m back with my more recent love affair with the Farm Knife. Love the photos and the history! Thanks for sharing.
Btw...glad to be introduced to Kismet!
91282487-3943-46B4-A16D-F3A04F012823.jpeg

Last edited:
What a nice stroll down memory lane.

Condor like wingspan? Ha, maybe comparable to my size. 5'10 and inherited my dad's ape arms, so I'm about 6'1" finger tip to finger tip.

Now lets anyone else worry about my safety today, here's what's in my pocket/on my belt.
20200108-075830.jpg

A very kind forum mod gifted me some lovely hand spun grips for my 1911 a couple of years back. I still have them...sorta. my 20 year old nephew is a Marine and just got hitched to a lovely and charming "Navy Brat" he met over in Germany. He's doing a deployment over in Norway (out of harm's way, thank God), but when he gets back he's getting my Springfield Loaded with the custom blonde grips with dark inserts as a wedding gift;) I dunno if he has ever shot a 1911, but it'll be his to do with as he pleases.

His old Uncle picked up with plain Jane Mil Spec Defender to scratch his 1911 itch. The grips are boring rubber that look like wood, but this gun sees a good deal of knock around time, so they look OK and take a beating...plus they cost about 9 bucks to replace:)

Back to the knife, man this thing is easy to pack for its size. The crude sheath in the picture above was made by yours truly. The one that came with it is very nice. Incredibly well made, actually. However, I prefer my tools held high and tight, and I really dislike snaps. My sheath's mouth actually starts at the rivet so that knife inserts at a 45 degree angle. The balance of the blade is right at the "dead space" between the guard and edge, so the weight of the knife holds it in tightly.

Edited to add the Microtech I forgot about in my boot:confused:

Last edited:
Funny, I been wanting a micro tech so baaaaad just lately. Cousin had one on him one day and showed it to me. Never dreamed I'd want one but I surely do. (please don't call me shirley).
Now that's a proper load out for the day right there. I just love me a 1911 all day long.
What did those blonde grips that fella made ya look like. I know a fella that knows a fella and I'm sure he could whittle out a set for that Defender. Just cause it gets knocked around don't mean it can't look cool ya know?

I'm gonna go take a picture of my Sarge knives so I don't feel left out, I want to be one of the boys even though I got the wing span of a yellow belly sap sucker, about 9" on a good day.

Here's my two Kismet Practical Hunters. One I purchased from Kismet himself.
It will stay untouched and go in my presidential museum someday. The other I carry once in awhile when I'm not wearing the micro bowie which is 99 percent of the time.
Both cherished possessions with places of honor on the board.

Last edited:
I never thought I would go for an OTF. Sorta not my speed, but the Ultratech was an impulse purchase. I saw it locally and just had to take a swing. Kicks out with authority and certainly is really pokey:) Its got some sort of high end steel for the blade, but honestly it's a grown up fidget toy. I've only "deanimated" a few bits of box tape with it. Still, fun if you're looking to play John Wick in front of the TV without the risk of shooting the screen.

I actually left the grips on the Loaded because of said forum friend's connection to the Marines. It just sorta felt right:) My nephew is in finance and seems to think he'll go career. What he lacks in raw power (the kid is about 6'2 and probably clocks in at 160), he makes up for with being a really sharp tack. He reminds me a lot of his late grandpa, my father in law. That's about the highest praise I can heap on someone.

I wanted to find him something with some meaning. I have his great grandfather's model 36...in pieces. Somewhere. Let's just say that a family member nearly made a permanent solution to a temporary problem with it, and it has too much bad juju attached to it. It was passed to me to prevent what happened from happening, and I failed letting it out of my possession.

Anyway... what Marine doesn't like a nice shiny stainless 1911?:)

Love that Microtech.

I just picked up the Microtech Dirac Dagger, Ultratech F/S, and Ultratech UX 70

My EDCs today are Pro-Tech Autos, SBR and Newport, both in S35VN SS. Guess which is for utility and personal protection...lol

I can't carry a firearm in SF, much less an auto, but oh well.

Pro-Tech resize.jpg

Here is the Microtech Ultratech, Dirac Dagger, and the New Benchmade Phaeton OTFs

20200108_203944_resized.jpg

Last edited:
The beauty of Knife Rights work and (some) common sense in Indiana. Automatics used to be strictly verboten. Then someone said, "Well what about these assisted opening knives or ones with flippers that are just as fast or faster to open but dont meet the legal definition?"
Instead of closing this "loophole" and limiting what we can carry, the state just struck down the archaic laws that dated back to 1950s Greaserphobia, and we can carry whatever we want...except throwing stars. Someone still thinks that a lightweight piece of sorta pointy metal is going to do grave harm to someone.:rolleyes: I had several good conversations about the silliness of it with our late resident ninja Dannyinjapan (RIP, good buddy) and he literally WROTE A BOOK on throwing them.

Luckily, I can thrown a blade pretty well and accurately. But then, I usually ankle strap on a 380 when going to less than safe neighborhoods, and if really worried, then the 1911 goes with me. As I tell friends, no one can protect their loved ones more than themselves.

Didn't know you were allowed to carry anything in California. I did find one little town in NE California that appeared relatively safe but never seen anyplace on the west side.
Washington is getting near as bad, too many transplants as I hear Oregon is headed for the waste basket as well.
OTF's illegal here along with anything double edged and for any black helicopter pilots nearby I always adhere to the letter of the law always.

Ummm....., I'm not exactly the most trusting type, I don't want to hurt anyone, but I say, "better for them to be hurt, rather than me or my family." 'nuff said.

I've had a serious OTF and Auto blade collection since in HS, I also have a bunch of flippers, and Emerson waves, and of course, I can snap open any of those Spyderco or Cold Steel folders with a flick of the wrist.

Guns are another matter entirely, used to hit the range a lot back in my 20's and 30's, and used to hunt with my uncles, both with rifles/shotguns, and bow/arrow.

My friends come over and my knife and gun collections usually surprise them, but then, they see my HI collection in boxes, displayed, etc...all over the garage, and they stop dead in their tracks...lol

It amazes me what people think/assume about folks with our kinds of hobbies. A friend of mine saw a few of my larger HI pieces that were scattered about in my Man Cave. "I'd hate to be the guy that broke into your house at night!"

Really? You think that I would go pin wheeling down the stairs in a Berserker rage with an M43 if someone broke into my house? The 9 rounds out of my Mossberg 590A1 fired from the high ground would have to be empty first. Then the next logical plan of action would be the Falcata. M43s are a tertiary line of defense at best...if they get past the bayonet on the shotgun;)

Back