Superhawk

Why isn't there more love for the Superhawk?:confused:
Over at the Spyderco forum, some were saying it's too expensive for the materials used, but I've seen many knives which cost more(street prices, not MSRP) which seem to sell well, and don't use more premium materials.
I personally like the subdued nature of its hawkbill blade as well, although I can understand some seeing it as a detriment.
So, what do all the other Spyder fans think? Hot or not? And why???

I'm a bit of a fan...
IMG_0451.jpg

Superhawkpartytime.jpg

If anybody is on the fence, but is put off by the price, Tom at SpydercoVT has three left at a great price.

I picked one up recently from a forum member at a good price. The Superhawk and a Superknife. The retail pricing is high but keep looking for a deal on one.

Open, in the hand, I loved it. A very capable tool (although the lack of spine jimping was a head scratcher for me.)

Closed in the pocket, I hated it. The hump of the hawk takes up a vast amount of pocket space, as wide or wider than the manix across. For me, that was the deal breaker.

Open, in the hand, I loved it. A very capable tool (although the lack of spine jimping was a head scratcher for me.)

Closed in the pocket, I hated it. The hump of the hawk takes up a vast amount of pocket space, as wide or wider than the manix across. For me, that was the deal breaker.

It is a tad wide in the pocket, that is true.
Open it is truly an awesome tool, and the lack of jimping doesn't seem to affect it's performance, due to superb ergonomics.
Overall, a pretty neat knife.

I gave my opinion in the factory forum thread referenced. In a nutshell, it seems to me that the Superhawk is weapon-optimized rather than utility-optimized. That's fine if you want a weapon, but that isn't why I carry knives, and especially not why I carry a hawkbill.

I got very lucky on mine as far as price- 135.50 NIB, turned around the very next day and my Dad said guess what! I got you a Mint numbered Shabaria for the exact same price as the SuperHawk! I said thanks Dad!

I said thanks Dad!

I still think someone ought to buy your dad a drink not only for being cool, but for raising you right.

I raised up my son around guns and knives. He went to every gunshow with me from 4 or 5 years old, up to about 17. He lost interest then for whatever reason. He's still a good hearted person, and I like him as a person but he just lost interest in all the outdoors & camping & survival stuff.

Do you think I ought to hire one of those cult reprogramming services to grab him up and make him like guns and going to shows with me again? :) Joe

Don't give up on him Joe, if he was interested when younger chances are good he'll come back to them at some point in his life.

I still think someone ought to buy your dad a drink not only for being cool, but for raising you right.

I raised up my son around guns and knives. He went to every gunshow with me from 4 or 5 years old, up to about 17. He lost interest then for whatever reason. He's still a good hearted person, and I like him as a person but he just lost interest in all the outdoors & camping & survival stuff.

Do you think I ought to hire one of those cult reprogramming services to grab him up and make him like guns and going to shows with me again? :) Joe

Maybe for Christmas or something. :) I never grew up in an open environment about guns/knives/whatever else could possibly hurt you, so I developed a very keen interest in them. The forbidden fruit to put it a bit better. Nice to know some people aren't sheltering their kids these days. :thumbup:

My dad has always been a big firearms enthusiast, and usually brings home all the latest toys...Smith & Wesson 351PD, 460 XVR, Springfield M1A Socom III, etc. He never did catch the knife collecting bug; all he's ever had is an old Cold Steel Carbon V Recon Tanto in his nightstand and a Spyderco Native I gave him for Christmas in his pocket (besides the odd Leatherman or two). I wish he would gotten bitten by the Spyder like all of us on here, I'm still trying. :)

It's a beautiful knife, but for what I do, the P'Kal is optimized in terms of blade and handle design, as well as deployment. I can get a P'Kal out and strike while someone is still fumbling to get their Superhawk out.

That doesn't mean I won't buy one. I'm still thinking about it.

It's a beautiful knife, but for what I do, the P'Kal is optimized in terms of blade and handle design, as well as deployment. I can get a P'Kal out and strike while someone is still fumbling to get their Superhawk out.

That doesn't mean I won't buy one. I'm still thinking about it.

I think the P'kal is more what a hawkbill optimized for weapons usage is.
The Superhawk would make a fine weapon I'm sure, but it is far more utility minded than the P'kal.
Both great knives though(glad I have both!:)).

I think the P'kal is more what a hawkbill optimized for weapons usage is.
The Superhawk would make a fine weapon I'm sure, but it is far more utility minded than the P'kal.
Both great knives though(glad I have both!:)).

Anything with an edge makes a fine weapon, once they are deployed. What I really have need for are knives with utility. The P'Kal is a terrible utility knife. The Superhawk might be just what I've been looking for. Guess I'm just talking myself into it.

Anything with an edge makes a fine weapon, once they are deployed. What I really have need for are knives with utility. The P'Kal is a terrible utility knife. The Superhawk might be just what I've been looking for. Guess I'm just talking myself into it.

I think you'll like it alot once you have one.

The high price (retail, not MSRP) kinda puts me off. Also, as much as I love VG-10, I was hoping for something a bit better to go with the CF handle.

My from eBay. The regular price is too high for my opinion.
f51abc1f90e43d3865.jpg

Last edited:
Back