Supersteels. Do we really need 'em?

Meh. While I enjoy following the latest developments in metallurgy, I try not to get too hung up on the steels in my knives. I buy knives that interest me or fit a specific need I have, regardless of steel, so my knives run the steel gamut. Since I don't use my knives on a lot of super abrasive stuff on a regular basis and I tend to touch them up every few days anyway (sort of an ocd thing with me), I don't see any real benefits from super steels, but I also don't find low end steels lacking. As far as sharpening, I've reached a level of sharpening skill and acquired a nice enough variety of sharpening stuff that I have no trouble maintaining any of the steels I've encountered so far. Here's what I carried today, one in M390 and one in 420J2. Steel type was not a consideration in either case; I like both knives for other reasons.

tedc.jpg

Sorry Medford fans. Look at Medford there is not a single knife in their whole catalog that could cut it's way out of a wet paper bag. Regardless of what steel is used or how much they charge for it.

Well, I never tried cutting wet paper bags (why would anyone want to :confused:), but...

KoIUq2L.jpg

7ENMAoa.jpg

LueNalS.jpg

h0ukCD9.jpg

mh4YszI.jpg

KGpDvt2.jpg

gFUZNre.jpg

rVgtZWY.jpg

ntQ90NB.jpg

ifvzk7M.jpg

TrR6Jtj.jpg

Sb2ZmWP.jpg

fujsAdM.jpg

Easy to clean, too...with modern technological devices... :D

fGATpkX.jpg

But yeah, no wet paper bags...sorry. ;)

I have knives in steels from 80crv2, 52100, 1095, 12c27 and whatever SAKs use all the way up to S90V, S110V and Maxamet plus a plethora of steels in between. I am without a doubt a steel junkie and fascinated by them. I have met very few that I do not like. I am not on the high carbide hype train nor do I denounce basic steels as obsolete. In the right applications and taking the user's preferences and sharpening ability/tools into account they likely all have a place. It is all about prioritizing the attributes you desire.

Do we even need steel? Likely not. We could still be using bronze and stuff would still be getting cut. Do we need cars? Probably not. We could still be on horses and we would still get where we are going. Technological advancement has its advantages obviously. So since we do have cars you can then ask; Do we need high performance sports cars? Well of course not, a Kia Rio will get you to work and back just fine but what fun is that? We are human beings and pushing technology forward is one of the things we do.

Not that long ago people were having this very discussion about stainless steels in knives. Many questioned if we even needed them. Now they are more or less the standard.

My theory in high wear resistance is that in many ways it is just deferred maintenance. Sharpen often and quickly or sharpen less often but put a little more time into it when you do.

This conversation has been mostly focused on wear resistance. I consider the rust proof steels like H1 to be super steels as well. A steel that can sit in sea water for months on end and not rust is super and I am sure some people need that.

I appreciate and enjoy super steels, but I personally don't require them for the tasks I typically do.

I am a huge fan of the various CPM steels though.

Most of my clients request simple carbon steels for various reasons.

The steel should be matched to the intended use and expected performance.

For most people, a basic carbon steel blade is more than adequate.

Well, I never tried cutting wet paper bags (why would anyone want to :confused:), but...

KoIUq2L.jpg

7ENMAoa.jpg

LueNalS.jpg

h0ukCD9.jpg

mh4YszI.jpg

KGpDvt2.jpg

gFUZNre.jpg

rVgtZWY.jpg

ntQ90NB.jpg

ifvzk7M.jpg

TrR6Jtj.jpg

Sb2ZmWP.jpg

fujsAdM.jpg

Easy to clean, too...with modern technological devices... :D

fGATpkX.jpg

But yeah, no wet paper bags...sorry. ;)

Cool pics, but are you sure you want to publicly document yourself voiding Medfords "warranty"?

:D;)

Who da thunk a knife could cut? :p

I know, right? :D

Cool pics, but are you sure you want to publicly document yourself voiding Medfords "warranty"?

:D;)

"We don't need no stinkin warranties."

If my Medfords ever get gritty to the point where cleaning them assembled doesn't cut it, I'll find the right size spanner bit and void the warranty even further. :thumbsup:
If a problem develops that I cannot fix myself, I guess I'll just have to pay the "warranty voided" surcharge. ;)

Do we even need steel? Likely not. We could still be using bronze and stuff would still be getting cut. Do we need cars? Probably not. We could still be on horses and we would still get where we are going. Technological advancement has its advantages obviously.

Your comparisons don't take into consideration the technology maturation curve or efficiency.

The thread asked specifically about super steels. The difference between super steels and regular steels for their use in knives is marginal. This difference is nothing compared to the difference between a car and a horse.

You may have been thinking linear, when the comparison should have been logarithmic. Horse to honda civic is huge; honda civic to lamborghini is relatively marginal.

With knives: Copper tools to steel tools is massive; steel tools to super steel is marginal.

Saying we could get where we need with horses is true, but with a MUCH lower efficiency. It would take years to do what i done in months, depnding on the application. It would be quite lackadaisical to go to horses.

Your comparisons don't take into consideration the technology maturation curve or efficiency.

The thread asked specifically about super steels. The difference between super steels and regular steels for their use in knives is marginal. This difference is nothing compared to the difference between a car and a horse.

You may have been thinking linear, when the comparison should have been logarithmic. Horse to honda civic is huge; honda civic to lamborghini is relatively marginal.

With knives: Copper tools to steel tools is massive; steel tools to super steel is marginal.

Saying we could get where we need with horses is true, but with a MUCH lower efficiency. It would take years to do what i done in months, depnding on the application. It would be quite lackadaisical to go to horses.

I do not disagree with most of what you said. I think you just over analyzed my statement. :)

I am fully aware that technological advancement is not linear. I was simply pointing out that we use the word "need" in interesting and varying contexts. I think we can all agree that the human race "needs" cutting tools. Beyond that the word "need" takes on varying contextual meanings. I wasn't trying to make proportional comparisons. Just pointing out that for many practical purposes knives have long since passed what we "need". We "need" to separate matter and we have been doing that for a very long time.

I realize the OP was asking if we need them in comparison to low carbide steels. ;) I just went off on a semantic tangent. I tend to so that sometimes. I addressed his question directly in the rest of my post.

I haven't met a steel yet I couldn't sharpen, some just take a bit more work. As too need? We don't need cell phones, cars, or air conditioning. But, they're nice to have.

I'm a fan of the modern steels like S30V, 154CM, etc. They just seem to hold an edge so much longer. If you've ever cleaned, skinned and quartered a large bull elk, I'm sure you can relate. Years ago I would have to carry a sharping stone in my pack with the old steels but no longer needed with these new steels.

Not necessary at all but it is fun to have all these options.
I like sharpening so it is interesting to compare these newer steels and grind away at them and then dull em and repeat.

In all actuality though on the days that I carrry a Vic or something in aus 8, 440c or even 1095 I don't find myself needing anything more and I work construction so certain days my blade will get worked pretty hard.

As long as the companies keep improving on all aspects of the knife I say keep the "super" steels coming out with regularity.

There`s one guy on YouTube does edge sharpness tests on rope, junk steel around 5-10, cheap steel around -50 cuts medium steel around 100+ cuts, best steel 400+ cuts.

He has around 50+ knife edge tests, click show more on the link below to see the full list.

If I never had to sharpen my knife again I would be incredibly happy. Better steel gets me closer to that goal. There are people who are into the whole process. Of any hobby. I'm just interested in the end results.

Reactions: Mo2
Yep, there's a lot of them do that.
Second quote is adressed to me or it just apperars in your every post? I'm not sure, as I said earlier - I'm new to this forum. I read many, many threads here before, but it's the first time when I decided to make an account. :)

Back