Surefire vs. Fenix

Booth are well made and will do everything that a pocket flashlight can do. Make your choice on the basis of features: get the one with features most compatable with your expected use.

I have a Fenix TK10, my first flashlight. I've since read plenty of reviews and shopped around a bit, but can't really see any reason to 'upgrade' to a Surefire.

If Fenix releases a significant upgrade from the TK10 that'll be my next light.

Cost is definitely a good part of it. But other makers are also including some wonderful versatility in output levels, UI, color quality, and powering options that are available on very few, if any Surefire models.

fenix, nitecore, and 4 sevens offer some pretty neat features. output levels, strobes, switches, etc.

what i have found, in a general sense, is the more features something has, the higher the probability of a malfunction.

ymmv.

~~~~~ while Surefire is top notch, prefer the Fenix lineup. Fenix is consistently at the cutting edge of LED technology, and the ability to choose your battery type is a big plus. Why deal with CR123 when you can get readily available AA or AA rechargeables? ~~~ JMO.[/B]

+1

What more be said......... :thumbup:

I use Eneloop AA rechargeables and have no negative results. They work and last great... even in the cold for me.
When they do get low, pop in some more and your ready to go again. ;)

I strongly dislike [ie., HATE]the CR123's.

Just my .017.......... :D

I don't understand the CR123A hate.

I don't obsessively fidget with my flashlight, I use as needed. I buy a 10-pack of CR123A and the set lasts me over a year.

I'm about to switch into my last two Tenergy CR123A and looking to try a different brand next.

I don't understand the CR123A hate.

I should have put a "disclaimer" in my post. :thumbup:

It is just a personal thing with me.... I would just rather use AA's in anything I can. Camera, flashlight, head lamp, whatever I have that uses batteries.

Me saying "HATE" was a poor choice of words on my part. I'd just rather have most everything in AA's.

My bad........ :)

Interesting thread...In the last 24 hours I've acquired a Surefire G2L, Fenix TK10, a Gander Mountain brand light, and 2 Fenix PD30s. The PD30s are supposed to be for my boys. I wanted to get a Surefire to try out the brand. I liked the cost/features of the TK10, and I just couldn't resist the Gander Mtn light for $50. The G mtn light even has blue, green, and red LEDs plus strobe and red SOS. I guess I just couldn't pick one! As stated earlier I've only had them for less than a day so I can't give much of a review except for the fact that I like them all! They all use the 123 batteries. I like the spark of lithium in cold weather.
There are so many options out there! I plan on getting another Surefire from BassPro next week. I've got some perk dollars from work that I need to spend. I was going to get an LX2, but I don't think they have them in store.
Surefire Vs. Fenix? I'll ride the fence for now and say tie...mainly due to cost versus a great American brand.

New technology+multiple functions+no R&D+china= fail

All these cheap lights are cool and some hold up well but time tells the truth.

New technology+multiple functions+no R&D+china= fail

All these cheap lights are cool and some hold up well but time tells the truth.

Er'... guess where the majority of the world's electronic components, devices and equipment is developed, produced and sold from!

Er'... guess where the majority of the world's electronic components, devices and equipment is developed, produced and sold from!

Including NAD and other high(er) end audio equipment, Apple Computers (not the design, just mfg. and assembly), and a host of other very high quality products.

Remember the day when "Made in Japan" meant cheap, lowest quality crap? Yes, times have certainly changed.

It wasn't long ago when "Made in China" meant the same thing. For some Chinese products, it still does. But not for all. There are some great products coming out of China now.

Pathetic how forces in the USA have conspired to make producing things here too costly to do. When the day comes when our unemployment is bad enough, due to not making anything here anymore, labor here may become affordable again and, hopefully, USA manufacturing can begin a comeback. $60 per hour auto workers and $50 per hour roofers (Unions) are breaking the back of the USA. I know a few people who would gladly take almost any job just to have a job, but political and labor forces are such that businesses can't manufacture here and compete on the world market. so jobs are that much scarcer. A country can only have so many "paper pushers" and survive. Producing real goods is key. Rant off.

Last edited:
Including NAD and other high(er) end audio equipment, Apple Computers (not the design, just mfg. and assembly), and a host of other very high quality products.

Remember the day when "Made in Japan" meant cheap, lowest quality crap? Yes, times have certainly changed.

It wasn't long ago when "Made in China" meant the same thing. For some Chinese products, it still does. But not for all. These are some great products coming out of China now.

Pathetic how forces in the USA have conspired to make producing things here too costly to do. When the day comes when our unemployment is bad enough, due to not making anything here anymore, labor here may become affordable again and, hopefully, USA manufacturing can begin a comeback. $60 per hour auto workers and $50 per hour roofers (Unions) are breaking the back of the USA. I know a few people who would gladly take almost any job just to have a job, but political and labor forces are such that businesses can't manufacture here and compete on the world market. so jobs are that much scarcer. A country can only have so many "paper pushers" and survive. Producing real goods is key.

You're right. There are plenty of high-quality products that come out of China, but there are waaaaaay more that are just crap. There are some very bad manufacturing stories out of China ... leaded paint in children's toys, malachite green [a carcinogen used to control algae in Talapia ponds] ... the lack of standards/control is an issue. International companies that bring their own tech/standards/QC to China and rely only on China's work force are different. Gore-Tex clothing out of China is often all made in the same factory - known to be one of the best in the world. Auto workers making $60/hr with big fat pensions is ridiculous ... I went through graduate school and I don't make anywhere near that kind of change. You nailed it ... as long as those in the manufacturing industry are being paid ridiculous salaries, North America will continue to lose more and more jobs.

Anyway, back to Fenix - they may be cutting edge and that's fine for walking your dog, but do you want cutting-edge when you heavily rely on your light. I want something that's been tested heavily. Cutting-edge tech just isn't tested heavily b/c the LED industry is evolving so quickly. At the end of the day we have to remember who invented the "tactical" flashlight ... SureFire baby ...

redpoint... we're on the same page. I like Surefires too and have a good number of them. But interestingly enough, they aren't the flashlights I grab when I want a light. Day in and day out I prefer 4Sevens, Nitecore, Liteflux, JetBeam, and Fenix models for a wide range of general lighting uses. For most daily uses these lights offer superb and highly versatile utility. But Surefires are certainly well made lights and I'm very glad Surefire exists!

new technology+multiple functions+no r&d+china= fail

all these cheap lights are cool and some hold up well but time tells the truth.

morimotom quote:
Fenix, nitecore, and 4 sevens offer some pretty neat features. Output levels, strobes, switches, etc.

What i have found, in a general sense, is the more features something has, the higher the probability of a malfunction.

Ymmv.

you're right. There are plenty of high-quality products that come out of china, but there are waaaaaay more that are just crap. There are some very bad manufacturing stories out of china ... Leaded paint in children's toys, malachite green [a carcinogen used to control algae in talapia ponds] ... The lack of standards/control is an issue. International companies that bring their own tech/standards/qc to china and rely only on china's work force are different.

Anyway, back to fenix - they may be cutting edge and that's fine for walking your dog, but do you want cutting-edge when you heavily rely on your light. I want something that's been tested heavily. Cutting-edge tech just isn't tested heavily b/c the led industry is evolving so quickly. At the end of the day we have to remember who invented the "tactical" flashlight ... Surefire baby ...

+1.............................

Last edited:
surefire and fenix (et al) tend to market to different demographics.

surefires are typically engineered for military and law enforcement. durable, reliable, and simple.

fenix, imo, is marketed toward the casual user. nifty features and low cost.

if my light fails to activate or activates in an unintended mode (strobe, flash, low/high, etc) i may be in big trouble. if the casual users light fails to activate or activates in an unintended mode while looking under the couch for their keys, not such a big deal.

this is why i nearly always recommed a surefire for field use. every fenix ive owned has activated to an unintended mode on multiple occassions. i tried a nitecore d20 for a while on duty, but the clip sucked and it would change modes on its own. i went back to a surefire.

I've had about five Surefire lights- 2 E1B's, 1 A2L, 1 6PLD, 1 E1L, but no Fenix lights, so I'm a little biased.

That being said, you really can't argue with the construction, customer service, or performance of Surefire flashlights. The company, as said here before, undercuts the ratings of their lights so that they can ensure that light has that many lumens. That in itself means something to me, as they're not trying to use the lumens as sales tactic, offering blown up figures to one up the competition. I had a problem with my A2L, all I did was call the company, received concise instructions on how I might be able to fix it then and there, after no solution, I was given a number, and sent it in. Fourteen days later I had my flashlight back and in working order, no questions, just solutions. The way I see it, I've bought other flashlights, but I had to continue buying one time after time because the ones previous had stopped working. All that money is spent, I can't get it back, and I'm spending more than if I bought a Surefire in the first place. At least if I invest the exorbitant amount of money Surefire (They're wicked high, IMO) wants for their lights, I'll actually have that light to show for in the future, and it's backed by a company that stands by their products.

Fenix lights look awesome, though. I was thinking about getting the TK40, but I really can't speak for the companies products, I know Surefire works, and works well.

4390849996_a4e2a69433.jpg

My "backup" - E1B / G19 RTF

I think there's plenty of room for having a variety of lights, depending on your application at any given time. No one or two models or brands can properly provide all the illumination needs one might have.

Surefires are great lights; I don't think anyone would dispute their quality and value. But they are wicked expensive. It's nice to have one or two. But that doesn't mean that one should not have lights from other makers (not necessarily Fenix) for varying uses. Cool thing about flashlights, just like guns and knives, is that there are a wide variety of makers and models available, each very well suited to particular needs and budgets, but not necessarily well suited to every need nor budget. Besides having a Surefire or two, a flashlight user should also consider the many great offerings from:

-JetBeam
-4Sevens (Quark, etc.)
-Nitecore
-Fenix
-Malkoff
-Eagletac
-Olight

and many other excellent brands.

If you really want to know about this stuff, start HERE: (and prepare for an intoxicating and addicting endeavor!)

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=45

Interesting thread. This post kind of sums it up for me:

surefire and fenix (et al) tend to market to different demographics.

surefires are typically engineered for military and law enforcement. durable, reliable, and simple.

fenix, imo, is marketed toward the casual user. nifty features and low cost.

if my light fails to activate or activates in an unintended mode (strobe, flash, low/high, etc) i may be in big trouble. if the casual users light fails to activate or activates in an unintended mode while looking under the couch for their keys, not such a big deal.

this is why i nearly always recommed a surefire for field use. every fenix ive owned has activated to an unintended mode on multiple occassions. i tried a nitecore d20 for a while on duty, but the clip sucked and it would change modes on its own. i went back to a surefire.

I'm not military or law enforcement and the times I am really relying on my flashlight are while camping and backpacking. If my Fenix LD20 came on in the wrong mode it wouldn't be a big deal and if the thing failed altogether it would be a bummer but I carry a backup, so again no big deal.

Does Surefire make any flashlights that use AA batteries?

I'm not military or law enforcement and the times I am really relying on my flashlight are while camping and backpacking. If my Fenix LD20 came on in the wrong mode it wouldn't be a big deal and if the thing failed altogether it would be a bummer but I carry a backup, so again no big deal.

Only the SAINT takes both AA and CR123 lithium cells.

THis is one of the major drawbacks to nearly all of Surefire's line. With few exceptions (the Saint?), Surefires must be powered by one or more CR123 Lithium cells. Hint: Surefire sells a Surefire branded lithium cell and sales of these batteries no doubt contributes significantly to Surefire's bottom line. These are a great power source, however, they are not generally easy to find and when you do, expect to spend anywhere from four to eight bucks per cell. (If you shop the internet, you can do much better than this... but don't expect to find replacement cells at your local drugstore and if you do... you'll pay dearly for them!)

And the problem with lithium cells is that each time you use the flashlight, the battery become weaker, so over time, you will start your day with a flashlight which has a semi-discharged cell. In time you can do nothing but discard the depleted expensive cell! On the other hand, with other brands/models which can be powered with rechargeable li-ion or NiMH cells, you can top the cell off at the end of the day and always start each day with a fresh cell.

And for Surefire models which use two lithium cells, you MUST make sure the two cells are very well matched to each other... for using a fresh cell with a partially or fully depleted cell can result in a very dangerous lithium venting "event" which can cause severe damage, injury, and/or fire. This is serious stuff... we're not talking about your grandpa's harmless alkaline batteries here.

This is the major reason why I don't use my Surefires very often. I prefer to use brands/models which can be powered by rechargeable li-ion cells (which need to be recharged with knowledge and care as well), rechargeable NiMH cells or even, if no other option is available, the lowly AA alkaline cell which can be found pretty much EVERYWHERE, no matter where you are.

Practically every Surefire flashlight must be powered by a CR123 Lithium primary cell. This is an important point you should not lightly overlook. Lithium cells are the cells of the future... they pack a lot of power in a very small space and have a very long shelf life, but they have some noteworthy drawbacks as well. You need to understand flashlight powering sources and options well before venturing into this realm.

In direct answer to your question.... there are some very good alternative flashlight choices available with can be powered with a plain old AA alkaline, but are MUCH better powered by a AA size lithium primary, AA size NiMH rechargeable or AA size (14500) Li-Ion rechargeable. The Quark AA model from 4Sevens is one of the very best possible choices of flashlights which can indeed be powered by all of these sources and offers a great range of output levels from blindingly bright down to "moon mode" which is ideal for use with night-adapted eyes in a dark environment. Here's a link to them:

http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=297_305&products_id=1597

The entire Quark line is designed so that you can virtually "lego" heads, bodies, and tails to achieve just the size and power you desire. If you own several different Quark lights you can mix and match to your heart's content! Total fun and great utility. ;)

The 4Sevens Quark AA model is the one flashlight that I can whole heartily recommend to ANYone I know who asks me what a great choice would be in a contemporary, highly potent flashlight because it has such versatility in powering options and such a huge range of output levels from just a squeek to tactically blinding output. These are very well designed and engineered lights with a 10 year warranty available from a USA company of very high reputation for quality and customer service. I would not steer you wrong with this. And, no, I have no affiliation with them other than a long standing involvement with the flashlight world.

Last edited:
Back