Surface Finishes on Carbon Steels

bikerector

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I've been playing around with this idea for a while and finally found a product that I like and the results have been pretty good, after I figured out how to apply it. This is something that may be coming on future blades as look at some runs of Good Knife Co. designs in 8670 or 80crv2.

The 1st trial didn't go well but the rest turned out acceptably. It works a lot better on fresh steel vs something I've used and did a light cleaning to test things out.
8xypcHOl.jpg

Much better on the rest.
PJlO3sOl.jpg

RGqsjXUl.jpg

Z9VlMYyl.jpg

qlrpf9fl.jpg

So, what model might there be interest in an acid-washed carbon steel blade? To me, this would make a pretty slick Sitrep or bush brute, or maybe some new design entirely that compliments the subdued aesthetic?

I'm still looking into what would be needed to do the same for stainless steels and if I can do that reaction in my shop.

With the picture of your mora..... I almost get the same results with O1 and boiled water.... I like how it gets darker

With the picture of your mora..... I almost get the same results with O1 and boiled water.... I like how it gets darker

I may have to try that, this was most definitely not using boiled water. It was a combination of strong acids and copper sulfate.

Back