Surls Skiva Kitchen Knife

Here is Allen’s latest un-named entry into the kitchen knife arena.
I am not good at reviews so I'm just going to post basic stats and post some pics.

The knife is just a tad over 10 ¼” overall with a 5” cutting edge.
My particular example is 3/32” A2.
It is a stick tang model and is super light and nimble.
The cutting edge was like a RAZOR! A little more on that to come.

Here with a Fiddleback Forge Padre.
IMG_20160718_180127_zpsbyjcxuhw.jpg

I received it from Allen one day last week and immediately went home to slay some unsuspecting vegetables.

I hold all my kitchen knives in a “pinch” grip of sorts.
20160718_184816_zpswltvoyvq.jpg

20160718_184715_zpsg0lopirs.jpg

Knuckles clear the board. It was hard to get a good picture w/ everything is the proper perspective. I was holding my phone w/ my left arm extended trying to get everything in the frame and push the button w/ my thumb.
20160718_184731_zps7hhz80xs.jpg

This potato never saw it coming!!!
20160718_185332_zpsc2ilgvxz.jpg

Playing around julienning(SP? ) a potato.
20160718_185458_zps0xrbyhkz.jpg

The way I have always seen the pit removed from an avocado was to Cut,Twist & Remove.
20160718_190002_zpstrfcly8s.jpg

20160718_190100_zpsvm4ave3m.jpg

The knife bit DEEP into the pit and I did not feel like I could remove it safely w/o cutting myself. It was slippery from the oils.
I chopped right through it. I would NOT recommend this.
20160718_190214_zpsycxbpa8s.jpg

Earlier I mentioned this thing came razor sharp.
When I was dicing the avocado prior to removing it from the skin the knife sliced right through the tough exterior.
20160718_190109_001_zpsvrdifwgn.jpg

I'm not sure why the orientation is jacked-up in the photo but here it is w/ some more familiar sized knives.
Left to Right
Minuteman
Kestrel
Un-named
Bushcrafter
Ladyfnger
20160724_083545_zps4lyklzbt.jpg

I would definitely recommend this knife to anyone and look forward to using it for a long time to come!

OK that looks like something I could retire my global 10" chef for...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the habit/addiction of seeing knives and swords owned or not and choosing Names for them based on their characteristics in other languages. Sort of how weapons were named in most major global mythologies or written fantasy (i.e. Excalibur, Mjolnir, Sting). In seeing the unnamed above, for "Slice", the better versions internationally are Skiva (Swedish), Dilim (Turkey) or Tafell (Welsh). For "Razor" Navalla (Catalan & Galician), Habemenuga (Estonian), Rakkniv (Swedish), or Rasoio (Italian) would be the best ones.

My production runt that rides in a sharkskin ISP is Spurdhjak (Albanian for runt/small), while my Camp Nessie is Maga (Icelandic for belly). My Glock 19 I've had for 20 years (carried for 10) is Ffyniant (Welsh for Boom).

Thanks for the review Phillip. Looks like a winning design for sure :thumbup:

Here is Allen’s latest un-named entry into the kitchen knife arena.
I am not good at reviews so I'm just going to post basic stats and post some pics.

The knife is just a tad over 10 ¼” overall with a 5” cutting edge.

My particular example is 3/32” A2.
It is a stick tang model and is super light and nimble.
The cutting edge was like a RAZOR! A little more on that to come.

Here with a Fiddleback Forge Padre.
IMG_20160718_180127_zpsbyjcxuhw.jpg

I received it from Allen one day last week and immediately went home to slay some unsuspecting vegetables.

I hold all my kitchen knives in a “pinch” grip of sorts.
20160718_184816_zpswltvoyvq.jpg

20160718_184715_zpsg0lopirs.jpg

Knuckles clear the board. It was hard to get a good picture w/ everything is the proper perspective. I was holding my phone w/ my left arm extended trying to get everything in the frame and push the button w/ my thumb.
20160718_184731_zps7hhz80xs.jpg

This potato never saw it coming!!!
20160718_185332_zpsc2ilgvxz.jpg

Playing around julienning(SP? ) a potato.
20160718_185458_zps0xrbyhkz.jpg

The way I have always seen the pit removed from an avocado was to Cut,Twist & Remove.
20160718_190002_zpstrfcly8s.jpg

20160718_190100_zpsvm4ave3m.jpg

The knife bit DEEP into the pit and I did not feel like I could remove it safely w/o cutting myself. It was slippery from the oils.
I chopped right through it. I would NOT recommend this.
20160718_190214_zpsycxbpa8s.jpg

Earlier I mentioned this thing came razor sharp.
When I was dicing the avocado prior to removing it from the skin the knife sliced right through the tough exterior.
20160718_190109_001_zpsvrdifwgn.jpg

I'm not sure why the orientation is jacked-up in the photo but here it is w/ some more familiar sized knives.
Left to Right
Minuteman
Kestrel
Un-named
Bushcrafter
Ladyfnger
20160724_083545_zps4lyklzbt.jpg

I would definitely recommend this knife to anyone and look forward to using it for a long time to come!

Thanks for the comparative image...That helps..My question is when do you think this one will show up in his offerings?
Douglas

I have the habit/addiction of seeing knives and swords owned or not and choosing Names for them based on their characteristics in other languages. Sort of how weapons were named in most major global mythologies or written fantasy (i.e. Excalibur, Mjolnir, Sting). In seeing the unnamed above, for "Slice", the better versions internationally are Skiva (Swedish), Dilim (Turkey) or Tafell (Welsh). For "Razor" Navalla (Catalan & Galician), Habemenuga (Estonian), Rakkniv (Swedish), or Rasoio (Italian) would be the best ones.
My production runt that rides in a sharkskin ISP is Spurdhjak (Albanian for runt/small), while my Camp Nessie is Maga (Icelandic for belly). My Glock 19 I've had for 20 years (carried for 10) is Ffyniant (Welsh for Boom).
i like these
Skiva (Swedish)
"Razor" Navalla (Catalan & Galician)
Thanks for the review Phillip. Looks like a winning design for sure :thumbup:
:thumbup:
Thanks for the comparative image...That helps..My question is when do you think this one will show up in his offerings?
Douglas
I would probably "guesstimate" they will arrive in a few weeks.

Both the FBF Padre and this great "un-named " look like good kitchen knives. This new one has more of the classic japanese kitchen knife stylings, while the Padre , more western. I like the WAS approach to the Wa handle.:thumbup:
Now this new one is about the same size as my Matador. same 3/32 A2
what is the edge grind on this new one as compared to the matador?
I have a Salem Straub Santoka with 7 degrees each size and it's my slicer in the kitchen...would love to compare someday.

may I call this one "Hop-sing"...bonanza fan here.( I'm also Asian):D

Last edited:
I will be posting a review of my WAS kitchen knives next week. For now, let me just say that Allen makes really great knives, but his kitchen knives are simply AMAZING!

That is a beautiful knife Phillip! Great work Allen!!! I am excited to get one of Allen's kitchen knives. That one looks awesome.

The Moray is still up for grabs from last week

That is a beauty. If I didn't already have two Morays in my family, that knife would be on its way to AZ!

My wife and mom love their Morays. Both have expensive kitchen knives from well known brands that are now gathering dust because Allen's Moray design is so good. I know I sound like a rabid fanboy, but Allen's kitchen tools are really special.

BTW...

How do the Moray and this knife differ? Do they fill different roles in the kitchen? I am a kitchen novice, but know that more accomplished chefs and kitchen knife aficionados are particular about which knives fill which roles...

BTW...

How do the Moray and this knife differ? Do they fill different roles in the kitchen? I am a kitchen novice, but know that more accomplished chefs and kitchen knife aficionados are particular about which knives fill which roles...

Im not sure. I haven't gotten a Moray yet.

I was dead set on a Arowana but i'm unsure now. This knife makes me not miss my Padre. Even though the blade length is similar to the Pardre it works like a much bigger knife.

I'd say aesthetics is most of the difference, though balance and feel surely factor in. I'd love to have either one or honestly I'd love to have both. I'd like to see a Surls paring knife come along as well.

Last edited:
Thanks for the post Philip! I hadn't seen this one. I like that a lot, though I think the the Moray and Mantis, being less Asian influenced, may suit my current needs more more.

The Moray is still up for grabs from last week

I know, was just looking at it. If it was an osage handled one, I would have already found a way to snag it...provided it was even still there...but I really need an osage Mantis more...

Thank you for sharing all of the pics Phil.
There are two major differences, obviously like previously mentioned the aesthetics are a major difference. The other is the moray has a narrower tip that will allow for smaller work along bones and such.

I'm really looking forward to seeing both on your Wednesday offerings.

Back