Surls Skiva Kitchen Knife

That's an excellent looking knife. 2017 might be the year I start looking at a set of customs for the kitchen, i'll just need a lock box for the knife block

making a recipe from Nbrackett tonight
It's called Finadene and it's a recipe from Guam. This is the base recipe we use, but I've seen hotter peppers, cucumber, etc added as desired. We love it over white sticky rice but it's also traditionally served with chicken and pork.

1/2 cup white vinegar
1 cup soy sauce
4-5 jalapeños
1 tomatoe (I think Roma works best)
1/2 white onion
small bundle of green onions

I think you would really like it Phillip.

20161004_180433_zpspnqntgvv.jpg

e14b6e08-12be-4d4c-a4c8-841108940278_zpsgwsnrf3i.jpg

Well Mr. Nbrackett............

thats a winner for sure. I will definitely add this to my arsenal. I loved it and Kylie liked it too. I just have to turn down the "heat" a little bit. I will try 2 jalapenos instead of 3 next time for her.

Thanks for sharing the recipe and history.

20161004_210908_zpscfsxilbx.jpg

20161004_212249_zpswcjoz6ze.jpg

305b4b38805e3618af8691ba1ac24127.jpg

329f6eee118425a56f13789f61ddf168.jpg

Thought I'd add to this. I work with a group, adults with developmental disabilities, about twice a month we do a cooking class. Always from scratch and pretty labor intensive but after 12 years we've turned out some pretty fine food.. Best part is besides the feeling of accomplishment my group has, we get to eat! Today was cheese and beef enchiladas . I got to use my W.A.Surls Skiva today after a little show and tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
so ........what do you think about it varga49?

Thanks for the question Phillip , if only to remind me that this is important.

After having used the Skiva most every day since I received it here's my thoughts. First a little background. I do foster care for two special needs adult clients. Additionally I prepare an evening meal for the elderly woman who owns the land we live on. All this to say I do a lot of food prep having decided decades ago not to open boxes and add water for breakfast lunch or dinner.
I'm happy to say the Skiva has held up very well under many of the demands I've placed upon it.
I still use my 10" global for things requiring a longer blade and for more dense larger vegetables. I've run it across my vintage ceramic sticks maybe four times now. Making thin to very fine cuts with beef, pork, chicken go very well, although when I do a large brisket I still use my 12" victorinox slicer. There are times, like when my students and I do cooking class, that I really appreciate the Skivas' design and light weight because I'm doing all the knife work for a lunch that feeds 15 people. There are times when I want a Skiva to be a bit longer with a bit more heft. But that's what the global is for. My executive chef son in law really likes the looks and feel of it but I hesitate to offer it to him to take to the restaurant for his thoughts for the same reason I don't loan out my snap on tools... not to mention my other knives.
I realize this would be a far better post were it complete with pictures in use.. And I have tried to do more, but it stays pretty busy in my world.
Douglas

Last edited:
Thanks for the question Phillip , if only to remind me that this is important.

After having used it most every day since I received it here's my thoughts. First a little background. I do foster care for two adult clients. Additionally I prepare an evening meal for the elderly woman who owns the land we live on. All this to say I do a lot of food prep having decided decades ago not to open boxes and add water for breakfast lunch or dinner.
I'm happy to stay the Skiva has held up well under many of the demands I've placed upon it.
I still use my 10" global for things requiring a longer blade and for more dense larger vegetables. I've run it across my vintage ceramic sticks maybe four times now. Making thin to very fine cuts with beef, pork, chicken go very well, although when I do a large brisket I still use my 12" victorinox slicer. There are times, like when my students and I do cooking class, that I really appreciate the Skivas' design and light weight. And there are times when I want a Skiva to be a bit longer with a bit more heft. But that's what the global is for. My executive chef son in law likes the looks and feel of it but I hesitate to offer it to him to take to the restaurant for his thoughts for the same reason I don't loan out my snap on tools... not to mention my other knives.
I realize this would be a far better post were it complete with pictures in use.. And I have tried to do more, but it stays pretty busy in my world.
Douglas

thanks for the thoughts.

maybe i will start bugging Allen for a 8-10" variation:eek:

edit to add

I have a couple similarly sized knives like you mention.

I bought them on a whim from a retired food service salesman. They were some samples had left over from the 80's or 90's. They are made by Burgvogel. I have not found much information beyond that.
I've never used them
20161019_182007_zps4soq8np2.jpg

Last edited:
I read that Solingen is a capital of German knife industry
besides homeland of such big and known companies as Wustoff ( my favorite of German knives if any), Messermeister, Henckels and victorinox ( yes they forget in Germany and sharpened in Switzerland) there is a bunch of smaller knife companies with some of them has 200-300 years history. Quality is pretty much the same. most of them use 52100, X50CrMoV15 and similar steel. Normal, reputable medium quality knives of European style. Compare to Japenize thay are overall thicker stok with Rockwell 55-57 hardness.

Last edited:
thanks for the thoughts.

maybe i will start bugging Allen for a 8-10" variation:eek:

edit to add

I have a couple similarly sized knives like you mention.

I bought them on a whim from a retired food service salesman. They were some samples had left over from the 80's or 90's. They are made by Burgvogel. I have not found much information beyond that.
I've never used them
20161019_182007_zps4soq8np2.jpg

That was a pretty good score! The victorinox has what they call a granting edge (fluting perpendicular to the cutting edge) which actually does the Job of cutting large or rather huge pieces of meat with, depending on the doneness, little if any shredding. That said maybe a really sharp fiddleback machete would do as well !

I read that Solingen is a capital of German knife industry
besides homeland of such big and known companies as Wustoff ( my favorite of German knives if any), Messermeister, Henckels and victorinox ( yes they forget in Germany and sharpened in Switzerland) there is a bunch of smaller knife companies with some of them has 200-300 years history. Quality is pretty much the same. most of them use 52100, X50CrMoV15 and similar steel. Normal, reputable medium quality knives of European style. Compare to Japenize thay are overall thicker stok with Rockwell 55-57 hardness.

thanks taja

Back