Surls Skiva Kitchen Knife

ive smoked a bunch of pork butts w/ awesome results if I do say so myself. the brisket scares me. first the price and the fact i might screw it up

There's a young guy in Austin , Aaron Franklin. He's the current king of BBQ brisket these days. He learned from the old guys around here. Got some real good YouTube videos. You might check them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dont be scared of brisket its not that hard just do not over think it!

Where can i get a osage Skiva???

Dont be scared of brisket its not that hard just do not over think it!

Where can i get a osage Skiva???

To that I would add the thing that I had to learn myself early on thankfully in my 40+ years of cooking meat over a wood fire.... It goes like this
"If yer lookin ya ain't cookin"

There's a young guy in Austin , Aaron Franklin. He's the current king of BBQ brisket these days. He learned from the old guys around here. Got some real good YouTube videos. You might check them out.

im familiar with him. i've seen many shows regarding his restaurant and his techniques. "BBQ w/ Franklin" was one of my favorites.

im familiar with him. i've seen many shows regarding his restaurant and his techniques. "BBQ w/ Franklin" was one of my favorites.

Phillip if you ever by chance get to Texas 2 things #1 hopefully you wind up in central Texas #2 if you do and can let me know in time and you have a few days I'll take you on a mini Grail BBQ tour which spans over a few hundred miles

78a3fa419978931f841feec91d80a9b6.jpg

"Migas" .....it's what's for breakfast

Last edited:
Here is Allen’s latest un-named entry into the kitchen knife arena.
I am not good at reviews so I'm just going to post basic stats and post some pics.

20160718_190100_zpsvm4ave3m.jpg

The knife bit DEEP into the pit and I did not feel like I could remove it safely w/o cutting myself. It was slippery from the oils.
I chopped right through it. I would NOT recommend this.

First, fantastic knife and post!

Second, the trick to removing the pit from the knife:
Put the spine of the knife between the thumb and first finger. The spine is pointing to the web between fingers. Similar to your pinch grip when cutting.
Next, put your thumb and first finger about half way on the pit and half on the blade steel.
Now pinch. The pit is slippery, so your fingers, as they are pinched together, will push the pit off the blade. You don't come anywhere near the cutty bits of the blade. You don't risk chopping your fingers off by trying to cut through the pit and it is quick, easy and safe.

I'm not sure if you've ever launched a folded bottle cap at a buddy by pinching it, but it's a similar process.

Great post and pics Phillip.

I am not good at reviews so I'm just going to post basic stats and post some pics.

The knife bit DEEP into the pit and I did not feel like I could remove it safely w/o cutting myself. It was slippery from the oils.

Put the spine of the knife between the thumb and first finger. The spine is pointing to the web between fingers. Similar to your pinch grip when cutting.
Next, put your thumb and first finger about half way on the pit and half on the blade steel.
Now pinch. The pit is slippery, so your fingers, as they are pinched together, will push the pit off the blade. You don't come anywhere near the cutty bits of the blade. You don't risk chopping your fingers off by trying to cut through the pit and it is quick, easy and safe.

I'm not sure if you've ever launched a folded bottle cap at a buddy by pinching it, but it's a similar process.

I prefer the chop and twist method for removing avocado pits. After you cut half of the avocado and pull it away from the intact pit. You just chop 1/4 to 1/2 into the pit in the other avocado half (not through it) and then turn the knife like the hands on a clock. The pits comes out clean, still attached to the blade. Then use a spoon to scoop the inside of the avocado (as a whole) away from skin. Then do what you'd like with the cleanly separated avocado halves.

Also, here's a shameless plug for both Fiddleback Outpost and WA Surls. We have a few kitchen blades from Allen remaining on the site.

FiddlebackOutpost.com/collections/wasurls

Thanks, I'll give it a try next time.
I prefer the chop and twist method for removing avocado pits. After you cut half of the avocado and pull it away from the intact pit. You just chop 1/4 to 1/2 into the pit in the other avocado half (not through it) and then turn the knife like the hands on a clock. The pits comes out clean, still attached to the blade. Then use a spoon to scoop the inside of the avocado (as a whole) away from skin. Then do what you'd like with the cleanly separated avocado halves.

Also, here's a shameless plug for both Fiddleback Outpost and WA Surls. We have a few kitchen blades from Allen remaining on the site.

FiddlebackOutpost.com/collections/wasurls

That's the method I use. icould not get a good grip on the seed, so I slammed it into the cutting board and the knife went right through.

BBQ breakdown turkey and pork with the Skiva.
Clean Cuts and easy through the joints on the turkey. Love this blade!
abaa27eb2aab425c4e9280bf3fc5151b.jpg

8b456444f95309de29f51f7bd5d4966f.jpg

chicken chili tonight

20161204_170828_zpsq7mgwuhn.jpg

3 types of peppers
2x jalapeno
2x poblano
1x green bell
20161204_172024_zps8l6uircm.jpg

20161204_181808_zpsijc6da1z.jpg

thanks Tony

I think it should definitely be on the menu at the next Trackrock