Survey - Micarta over 3K?

Should Micarta be utilized on high-end Investment customs in the $3,000-$30,000 range

• No Micarta for $3,000-$30,000 high-end customs.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, Micarta is acceptable at any price if suits the knife.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
As indicated by the other thread, there are many opinions regarding the use of micarta handle material for custom knives. Most all agree that its a very good and durable material for everyday hunting, fishing and utility knives. Many believe it very suited for high tech and tactical knives.
But should it be used on high-priced investment grade customs in the $3,000-$30,000 range?
Let’s have some fun and settle this once and for all.

Isn't $3,000-$30,000 a pretty HUGE gap?

I'd say $3,000-$9,999 = YES

$10,000+ = NO

I think if you're going to dish out more than 10G's, you are smart enough and wealthy enough to take care of a material that is less suitable for a harsh environment.

I voted yes, because I would be willing to pay over $3000.00 for a Micarta handled Loveless knife.

I would probably pay 3k for a Loveless with micarta, but what's the chance of finding one for that price.

OK, at what price point would you say no to micarta?

$10,000+ = NO

I think if you're going to dish out more than 10G's, you are smart enough and wealthy enough to take care of a material that is less suitable for a harsh environment.

I picked $3,000 as that is a good starting point for discussing investment grade knives and that's what this discussion is based on.

Of course, there are many knives out there I would consider investment grade for way under $3,000. However IMO, no one should ever pay more than that for a knife without giving serious thought to it's investment value.

I think it should be more on an individual basis.. knife to knife. Why are we so concerned with how knives should be? Whos to say that is right? I would definately prefer a high end knife with natural materials so I do fall into this trap myself, but as a general observation, I think people can be pretty pretentious on the subject. Oviously if we are talking about art, I'd have to say Id prefer higher end all around. But for knives as what they are really meant to be.. it shouldnt matter and each customer to his or her own.

I often look the other way when I see knives with things such as giraffe bone or even micarta, but im trying to get out of that and look at peices for what they are, regardless of the handle material itsself. Quality, and especially the shape are just as, if not more, important.

My final say:
Carry peices (folders): micarta is fine, so is bone. I can drop it and scratch it with out worrieds.
Display peices id never use: I definately want old natural stuff. (nice pearl, old ivory etc..)

How many makers are charging more than $3000 dollars for a Micarta handled knife?

It seems that the aftermarket is where most of the $3000 + Micarta knives are being sold. So there must be enough demand for them to keep the price up.

Take Care
Charles

How many makers are charging more than $3000 dollars for a Micarta handled knife?

It seems that the aftermarket is where most of the $3000 + Micarta knives are being sold. So there must be enough demand for them to keep the price up.

Take Care
Charles

I think the more interesting question would be, how many are being sold without the Loveless/Lovett mark?

I think the more interesting question would be, how many are being sold without the Loveless/Lovett mark?

No further qualifications to the original question!:)

I voted yes because it is already an established fact. Collectors have voted yes with their dollars.

Remember the first Loveless micartas were not $3K+. Other maker's micarta pieces may eventually enter that range.

No further qualifications to the original question!:)

I voted yes because it is already an established fact. Collectors have voted yes with their dollars.

Remember the first Loveless micartas were not $3K+. Other maker's micarta pieces may eventually enter that range.

Yes, but the original question only addresses micarta being used for high-end investment pieces, not for users, not pieces under 3k or for quality of handle material.

I curious as to how you find collectors have voted with their dollars as only a very small percentage of knives over 3K have micarta compared to stag or ivory. And to my point above, if you take Loveless/Lovett out of the equation they are almost non-existence as to a percentage basis.

Not any of my knives for sure.:D

I think you may get into that range with some of Steve Johnsons knives, but you don't see many with Micarta.

Some of the Hightech folder makers may reach that price in the aftermarket.

Charles

Yes, but the original question only addresses micarta being used for high-end investment pieces, not for users, not pieces under 3k or for quality of handle material.

I curious as to how you find collectors have voted with their dollars as only a very small percentage of knives over 3K have micarta compared to stag or ivory. And to my point above, if you take Loveless/Lovett out of the equation they are almost non-existence as to a percentage basis.

That is the point, that Loveless/Lovett cannot be taken out of the equation. Collectors who own these knives have voted; it is a valid segment of the market. Just as SW stag bowies are.

That is the point, that Loveless/Lovett cannot be taken out of the equation. Collectors who own these knives have voted; it is a valid segment of the market. Just as SW stag bowies are.

The Loveless/Lovett/SR Johnson micarta handle segment is a valid segment in deed, but very small segment compaired to all to ALL 3K + knives produced in a year. Think of just how many 3K+ folders are produced in a year, VERY FEW with micarta handles.
Yes there are more 3K+ knives produced than you think.

I think it should be more on an individual basis.. knife to knife. Why are we so concerned with how knives should be? Whos to say that is right? I would definately prefer a high end knife with natural materials so I do fall into this trap myself, but as a general observation, I think people can be pretty pretentious on the subject. Oviously if we are talking about art, I'd have to say Id prefer higher end all around. But for knives as what they are really meant to be.. it shouldnt matter and each customer to his or her own.

You may not be concerned with how knives should be, but there are makers
trying to determine what collectors want to buy now and in the future.
Their are collectors trying to decide what to buy or commission based on
what the current trends are and will be in the future.

Who is to say what's right? Definitely the buyer, as he/she should buy
what's pleases them. But don't whine and bitch when it's time to sell and
there's no buyers. IMO, that's what we are trying to avoid here along with
helping makers make what the market wants.

But again how many? Very few in comparison with the overall 3K+ market.

Probably true. I have no idea what is the overall 3k+ market, as I only have a few pieces that could justifiably fetch that price. Mostly fancy folders, I assume?

$10,000+ = NO

I went with this reasoning and voted no. If I am going to spend that kind of money, I really want to see some sort of ivory or rare burl or something with more character. Personal preference of course, but the gap is too big for me to vote yes.

Back