Survival Knife: Saw or no Saw?

M9 bayonet, saw
iu

Randall Survival knife, saw
iu

The M-9 is a horrid saw. One of the knife writers, I want to saw Chuck Karwan or John Larsen, ran a test on it vs a SAK saw, and the Swiss Army saw was something like 4x faster.

The Randall is for thin aluminum, and to that end it works, they tested it by sawing through garbage can lids. As a wood saw, it's really just a notcher.

The Aitor saw is one of the best on a big knife, but I don't see much value over a SAK saw. You aren't gaining much if anything in saw length, and gaining a handful of problems. Something like the SAK Farmer is very strong and very thin, so it isn't a big deal. Heck, a wire saw was mentioned, you could add a SAK and a wire saw, and still be ok.

No saw.

I used to own a Glock Field Knife with a saw back. Useless. I never used the saw except to try and see how well it worked. However, I did find myself often wishing my Glock had a plain spine.

Give me a Vic Farmer SAK or a Leatherman Wave and a fixed blade.

Right now I have a Wave with a Benchmade 162 Bushcraft but, I think a SAK Farmer with the 162 would meet my normal daily needs better.

I also have a Sven Saw in my Jeep Cherokee. That saw is amazing. Now I just need a compact axe.

I have a Glock folding shovel that has a saw in the handle. I don't remember trying it to find out how good it is.

The Aitor saw is one of the best on a big knife, but I don't see much value over a SAK saw. You aren't gaining much if anything in saw length, and gaining a handful of problems. Something like the SAK Farmer is very strong and very thin, so it isn't a big deal. Heck, a wire saw was mentioned, you could add a SAK and a wire saw, and still be ok.

Its precisly Aitor who Im workign with for my survival knife. They want a saw, I didnt. They insisted so much I'm reconsidering and while doing so have become more undecided. I'm run some more tests tomorrow. Ultimately I'll likely end up with a version with saw and another without.
I would grant you that, but that comes at a real cost:
1) the teeth hamper the performance of the edge. They snag on what you are cutting.
2) The teeth snag on the sheath as well creating additional wear.
3). The teeth are potential stress risers. They significantly increase the chances that your one survival tool breaks.
4) The teeth tend to quickly clog with wood residue.
5) The teeth impair your ability to baton
6) The teeth limit your ability to use the spine of the knife as a ferro rod striker.

What is so hard about notching a stake or trap with the knife edge? Isn’t that what whittling is all about?

If it made sense we would be sharpening our picatinny rails and saw with the top of our guns as well. ;)

n2s
1)Depends on the size of the blade and what you are cutting. You rarely go so deep with a large blade on most of what you cut that the saw on the back is a problem.
2)Not if its a hard plastic sheath.
3)Fair point, but it depends on the saw type and how much steel you have. With a large, 5mm full tang knife and rounded cut teeth you have plenty of steel and it wont be a stress point.
4)As do most teeth, but it can be cleaned up. Point is, its worse not to have a saw if you need it.
5)Some what. If oyu still have enough spine without teeth then it shouldnt be a problem.
6)Same as 5) . with enough space to strike a steel, shouldnt affect the functionality in the least.

Its precisly Aitor who Im workign with for my survival knife. They want a saw, I didnt. They insisted so much I'm reconsidering and while doing so have become more undecided. I'm run some more tests tomorrow. Ultimately I'll likely end up with a version with saw and another without...

If I may ask, what is the reason behind all of this? Professional or work related? Or, like me, is it just for personal enjoyment?

You said that Aitor is who you are working with. That makes it sound like you have some limitations. If so, what are they.

We could give more precise answers if we have more details.

Heck, for the price of a Jungle King, you cold get a Vic Super Tinker, a Tram 14 inch machete, a Silky PocketBoy folding saw, and Cold Steel SRK AND have about 50 bucks left for survival beer and tactical pizza.

I like the cut of your jib, Sailor.

Took economics in junior college didn't you?

How come this isn't a poll? This is poll material.

All this talk about sawback survival knives, and no test videos? Come on guys, if you're gonna survivalize, you gotta test your gear in a creepy workshop while you video the process, or it just don't count.

And here is going through a 2x4 in under 30 seconds:

If I may ask, what is the reason behind all of this? Professional or work related? Or, like me, is it just for personal enjoyment?

You said that Aitor is who you are working with. That makes it sound like you have some limitations. If so, what are they.

We could give more precise answers if we have more details.
Its a collaboraton. I design it, Aitor makes it. So far there's been very few limitations. My original design had to be slightly modified so as to fit in one of their injected plastic sheaths. The other alternative would have been having a leather sheath made. The plastic sheath has a sharpening stone and some cord around it which is nice for a survival knife. Other than that, its just about making a quality knife and keeping the cost reasonable for people to purchase.

Here are the prototypes I received this morning from Aitor
protoferf.jpg

Last edited:
Its a collaboraton. I design it, Aitor makes it. So far there's been very few limitations. My original design had to be slightly modified so as to fit in one of their injected plastic sheaths. The other alternative would have been having a leather sheath made. The plastic sheath has a sharpening stone and some cord around it which is nice for a survival knife. Other than that, its just about making a quality knife and keeping the cost reasonable for people to purchase.

protoferf.jpg
I have been impressed with the workmanship on every Aitor knife I have ever seen.

However, I also have been turned off by almost every one I have handled.

Why? First, I cannot think of one that did not have a saw back spine. Second, they always have seemed to be more complicated than necessary. Third, they always seem to have a certain amount of recurve to the cutting edge. That last one is a deal breaker for many of us, especially me.

Give me a basic blade with a great heat treatment and comfortable handle.

I guess I prefer a “camp” knife over a “survival” knife.

Last edited:

protoferf.jpg

Smaller file teeth would be nice. It gives you something that can notch without all of the headache. An example would be the bolo knife (mountain machete) issued to Spanish mountain troops.

Link:
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/spanish-military-special-forces-1882691780

video:

N2s

Last edited:
Since you have a chance to design knives, please design a basic camp knife for us along with
your survival knives.

Nothing fancy. Maybe a four or five inch blade, full flat grind or close to it.

Full tang, of course.

I hate recurves even more than saw backs. I’m more of a Kephart guy than a Rambo I guess. Good luck with your project.

Since you have a chance to design knives, please design a basic camp knife for us along with
your survival knives.

Full tang, of course.
If things go well with Aitor, it certinaly is something that I
your survival knives.

Full tang, of course.
If things go well, I have several more knives in mind. Also, the sawback isnt final. If anything, it will likely be available both with and without sawback.

Back