Survival knife ?

this knife is impressing the hell out of me. It feels like it wants to go to town on shit

I just checked out the vid you posted on Youtube. Hands down one of the best looking knives I've seen. It gave me wood. Best Fluffer ever.

Lorien,
So... do you actually learn something by throwing this knife, or are you just horsing around? Apart from just plain fun, Is it actually meaningful - like does it tell you if the tip is prone to breaking, or how it is balanced or something?

Part of me wants there to be a reason, and part of me just enjoys watching the fun. It's a bit like chopping a nail in half with my FK. Nice to know it can do it, but I never will with my knife.

I'm not speaking for Lorien here.

IMO people who enjoy throwing knives appreciate several things about doing so, but unless the knife was intended to be thrown as part of it's use, one wouldn't sacrifice parts of it's design to make it better for throwing.

First of all, most knives for throwing are not all that sharp. I doubt anyone wants one of Nathan's knives to be dull. As far as throwing knives go, they also shouldn't be anywhere near as heavy as some of Nathan's. Lorien has been known to throw the LC after all.

There are some things you will learn from throwing a knife, like tip strength and how well the edge holds up to hitting the dirt and or the rocks in it when you inevitably screw up a throw.

Also, Lorien has a setup in his back yard so might as well give it a shot!!

throwing a knife successfully depends entirely on releasing the knife from your grip properly and repeatably. The funkier the handle shape, the more variables enter the equation wrt consistent control of spin. If you want to understand the full range of ergonomic interactions possible with any given handle, throwing a knife is mandatory, imo. Some handles simply will not allow that and that's fine, but they will decrease versatility wrt regular use as well. In my experience, throwing a knife provides a steeper learning curve to understanding how the knife handle works with my hand, if that makes any sense

understanding weight distribution and balance is also expedited through throwing. Those are things that are understood on a more cerebral level, and it sticks, so as to inform muscle memory

throwing a knife is generally considered knife abuse, most warranties won't cover that, and there's a good reason. Tip strength doesn't really come into play when you're doing it right, but you learn a lot about how the point of the knife is going to penetrate a given material. It's impossible to generate the same amount of energy by stabbing at something

It's the strength of the entire structure of the knife that shows itself through the shock of impact- point first or otherwise. That's why warranties don't cover throwing. Also, the heavier the knife, the more energy on impact and the more damage from a faulty throw

it took 1/2 dozen throws to figure out the release, and when the knife hit the target handle first, it hit hard. Assuming all the fasteners where in perfect condition when I received it, damage was done to the aluminum dowels that the bolts thread into, but to nothing else. One way to make this knife stronger would be to use steel dowels instead, and the only way I'd have come to that conclusion was by wrecking something and throwing the knife resulted in that

nothing tests the overall durability and strength of a knife like throwing it, and when you combine it with an accelerated ergonomic understanding, you'll understand why I do it

ps. I have thrown the EDC, and it throws pretty good too :)

^^^ Cool. Thanks for the thorough response.

Follow up question - do you have a $#!t-eating grin when you are throwing that thing?

Bring it on, I'm ready to own Carothers knife and this knife would be a great one to start with.:)

I'm gonna need several of these babies, at least one for each location. I hadn't really drawn any firm conclusions yet, but with the very minimal changes that have been made from that first proto, which handled like a dream, well, this is a model I will need to go full bore on. Will be interesting to see what handle materials it comes in. That edge cut antique micarta would be great! Hell, all the different materials would look good on this one.

my prediction, (you're aware of my bias) is that this knife is going to be an instant classic, and possibly the most popular CPK of all time.

it doesn't matter what genre of knife you prefer; if you get one of these babies in hand, you'll know instantly that it's not just some run of the mill knife. The ergonomics are sublime, and weight distribution gives it a peppy feel, despite it's burliness. You know how you can get chrome scrotums to hang from your truck's trailer hitch? Well, expect that someone will be inspired by this knife to make a similar bead to hang from your lanyard, styled after said trailer hitch scrotums

I have a name in mind for it that came immediately upon handling it, but we'll see how the name thing shakes out. Once we get that figured out, I'll provide you all with a media rich thread regarding this beast

as for no spin throwing- it's taken me so long just to figure out how to throw a knife in the normal way, I know that trying something new will take years to master, and I'm just not there yet. Way too busy. If you all subsidize my retirement by buying as many Loriendesigned CPK's as you can, I promise to spend the extra leisure time perfecting no spin knife throwing :)

Lorien, I agree with the instant classic comment. If I disregard the dagger, this one is my favorite, though it's difficult to proclaim it thus, given my love of the CPK line and those that came before, particularly the shiv. Yeah, this one is going to have the highest demand of all, IMHO.

We're keeping our old primary mill but moving it into our other building. It's a 9000 pound 15x30 boxway mill that does a good job on steel. The new mill is also a 15x30 boxway mill but it's a 14000 pound Mori Seiki and will be phenomenal in these materials we use. So it's not just another mill, it's a bad motherfucker mill

We're keeping our old primary mill but moving it into our other building. It's a 9000 pound 15x30 boxway mill that does a good job on steel. The new mill is also a 15x30 boxway mill but it's a 14000 pound Mori Seiki and will be phenomenal in these materials we use. So it's not just another mill, it's a bad motherfucker mill

I don't know what those things are but I know I like the gusto. :thumbsup:

Back