Survival knife ?

It would not be unfeasible to think that Nathan and Jo will also have a few of these at hand for Blade 2017. Let the boys tend to your table while you make an early bird bee line to you know where! BTW, that way you may actually end up being one of the very early adapters / owners of this wildebeest ;)

It would not be unfeasible to think that Nathan and Jo will also have a few of these at hand for Blade 2017. Let the boys tend to your table while you make an early bird bee line to you know where! BTW, that way you may actually end up being one of the very early adapters / owners of this wildebeest ;)

Great suggestion Mat. Man I'm sorry that slipped past you Brian. I hope you get to nail one down at Blade for you or the boys.

That would be amazing. I just can't believe it. I have been to busy with getting ready for Blade and working. Thanks for the positive thoughts. Maybe somebody can proxy for me later on.

I will see if he has any Shivs at Blade. Maybe I can trade one of those for the new knife

If you read the thread, you would know it's not at all the end of the world:

" As I'm building them, half the knives made will go to this pre-order, the other half will be sold in regular sales."
I know, but the odds are not real good. But I will be giving it a good try!

Brian, I think if you could snag a sought after Carothers' from Blade, you will most certainly be able to find a trading partner. I still think that as a vendor you can jump the visitors line and go help Nathan / Jo set up their table all the while keeping a very keen eye on their Blade Show ware :D

P.S. I think finding a willing proxy in the first couple of Friday sales cycles may be a very tough feat, but that should become easier later on. Hint, hint ;)

Good idea to grab some trading material. I'm guessing some folks will snag an extra one of the new knives for the same reason. It'll come together I bet, bud.

Don't worry Brian. You get something with a wood handle from Blade and I'll make sure your taken care of!! I'll take the Friday sale day off work and call on all my friends able to get you a Fluffer.

Brian, you get something with a plastic handle from Nathan, heck even a broom handle maybe; or how 'bout this? Two handles and no knife! Or a two headed knife akin to a ...... Never mind, let's keep it a family show! Case in point, any iteration is what I'm saying...

I'm playing subforum poker with Justin :)

Lorien, I also absolutely resent that term and find it insipid and unamusing. Give it a name darn it so we don't have to see that in print although I'm afraid to say that it already has a cult following!

I hate hearing 'fluffer' as reference to this knife. Hate. It.

I remember that the last time I made reference to it, I thought to myself I wouldn't use the word for the knife again, since it seemed to be taking on almost a perjorative connotation connected not only to the knife - but to the person. I would hate it, too.

I would hate it even more if he moderated my ass outta here, LOL and made the word restricted.

Last edited:
It so happens that I am aware Lorien has submitted suggestions, but the naming rests with Nathan. Nathan is really, really busy trying to please us all, and it's probably very much on his mind. My suggestion would be for everyone to cool their jets, or maybe Lorien will have a voice in restrictive buyer designation, LOL.

To those on the pre-order, go back and review the handle options. Since this is a custom order and we're building to order we went ahead and added a few scales options beyond our regular basic option. Also we're going to offer a dangler sheath as an option. You can edit your post to change your order until it is finalized. Please review the updated first post for information.

Nathan, thank you for offering a larger choice of options which enabled me to revise my order.

As far as the name is concerned, the more that I think about it (not that it counts for jack squat) specially after seeing a pre-production sample of this knife, I think that it suits the name: Large Camp Knife or LCK. I know that it will be extremely unlikely that it will be named the survival knife, because of the potential conflict of interests with the other company with which there have been past collaborations.

Nevertheless, a "survival knife" is such a lofty title and tag that some YouTuber or Interwebs expert will just try to take the knife apart (figuratively) for lack of "survival" bells and whistles such as a bow pivot, or a ferro rod notch or lack of a sharpened 90 degrees spine for striking a ferro rod / shaving barks off of trees; lack of elongated pummel for hammering, yada, yada! A true survivalist expert will perhaps be able to survive on anything when stranded in a precarious and dicey situation whereas a moron like me, won't most like be able to survive for a mere few days if this knife came with the aforementioned bells and whistle plus an M16 to boot!

Large Camp Knife because when I go camping for a few days, I would like to have one large knife in my repertoire. In fact, that's going to be my new Carothers knife's nickname.

I hate hearing 'fluffer' as reference to this knife. Hate. It.

I apologize Lorien. It was a pottty humour name made with reference to a combination of the early threads regarding your commentary and reference to the source (Loveless quote) of your handle designs, and an analogy about how excited everyone has been kept about this design. It was never meant to be disrespectful.

I won't make the reference again.

That vintage option is really tempting. Want to get one so I can continue my vintage set, but would want to see exactly what it'd look like first. Think I'll hold off for now and hope some will be offered in a Friday sale down the road.

Back