Survival Lilly knife

I didn't see a divot in her micarta handle for a bow drill. Wasn't that one of her pans on the S1 when she used the brass grommet for a bow drill and it chewed up the handle?

I like the knife insofar as it comes out of a load of destructive tests, long thinking, and plenty of dirt time. I hunt, fish, camp, and spend just about every day outdoors working with horses, so I know what it is like to search for that perfect knife. Lilly's work reviewing products and showing folks basic outdoor skills in various locations brought her to the conclusion that HER perfect knife wasn't out in the market. So she designed her own. I applaud her for it. It's not the knife I'd choose, but her style of bushcrafting, influenced as it is by the current trend of baton-featherstick-pry, calls for this sort of knife. It's the same school of thought that gives us most of the Becker line, the Busses, and the Cold Steels. Given her following and the real requests Lilly received for a knife she'd design, she responded to the market. I hope she makes some money, makes some people happy, and gets more folks off their asses and outdoors.

As for the knife itself, I agree that it's her take on an SRK. Given how much time the SRK spent as her primary knife, I suspect she looked at it and thought, "Its perfect except for this, this, and this." Maybe at some point she'll offer a replacement micarta grip scale with a metal reenforced divot for bow drilling as it was something she admired in another knife.

Zieg

Last edited:
I like the knife insofar as it comes out of a load of destructive tests, long thinking, and plenty of dirt time. I hunt, fish, camp, and spend just about every day outdoors working with horses, so I know what it is like to search for that perfect knife. Lilly's work reviewing products and showing folks basic outdoor skills in various locations brought her to the conclusion that HER perfect knife wasn't out in the market. So she designed her own. I applaud her for it. It's not the knife I'd choose, but her style of bushcrafting, influenced as it is by the current trend of baton-featherstick-pry, calls for this sort of knife. It's the same school of thought that gives us most of the Becker line, the Busses, and the Cold Steels. Given her following and the real requests Lilly received for a knife she'd design, she responded to the market. I hope she makes some money, makes some people happy, and gets more folks off their asses and outdoors.

As for the knife itself, I agree that it's her take on a SRK. Given how much time the SRK spent as her primary knife, I suspect she looked at it and thought, "Its perfect except for this, this, and this." Maybe at some point she'll offer a replacement micarta grip scale with a metal reenforced divot for bow drilling as it was something she admired in another knife.

Zieg

Yup. Exactly.

As for the knife itself, I agree that it's her take on a SRK. Given how much time the SRK spent as her primary knife, I suspect she looked at it and thought, "Its perfect except for this, this, and this." Maybe at some point she'll offer a replacement micarta grip scale with a metal reenforced divot for bow drilling as it was something she admired in another knife.

Zieg

Thanks Zieg, you saved me a lot of typing. My only criticism of the knife itself is that it’s a little thicker than it needs to be imo, even for its stated purpose.

I just saw Survival Lilly's new knife and must say that I am not impressed.
Steel: AUS8
Blade Length: 13,5 cm / 5.12 inches
Blade Thickness: 4,8 mm
Handle Length: 11,5 cm / 4.33 inches
Weight (including sheath): 389 gramms / 13.72 ounces
Rockwell Hardness: 57 Rc +/-1

The Taiwanese workmanship looks pretty good. My lack of enthusiasm comes from her design emphasis and the design itself, which seems to fall along the sharpened prybar genre. Apparently destructive knife testing is important to her.

The quotes are from her product description, which I am not linking because I don't think she is a dealer.

I don't know about you, but I found this knife to be a bit much. Given her past history of making destructive testing videos of knives in "survival situations" this knife description was a rehash of silliness. Maybe it is just me, but I don't see the point in something like this. Indestructible does not correlate well to functional when it comes to knives, unless you plan on approaching survival like a bull in a china shop. What are your thoughts on this "survival knife".
Well, that's always a heads-up...

She lost me right then and there.

I have punished several S1 knives and was barely able to scratch one.
IMG_4022-XL.jpg

IMG_4028-XL.jpg

I have never seen one of her videos. But I watched the Fallkniven fall out on several forums such as this.

It kind of cracks me up.
Hundreds of folks say they are great knives and have been using them for years.
One person does something ridiculous, breaks one, and the internet bursts into flames about it.

Your over-dramatization/train-wreck analogy is a good one. Just because you can make a video, doesn't mean you should.

It's kinda like some of the covers on Time magazine. They are all trying to draw attention and sell magazines or become known.
But, I do not think one should trash a great company just for viewers. If she was good, her merits would speak for themselves.

Let's see her EXCEL on Naked and Afraid. I don't mean exist either. Let's see her get on that show and maintain her body weight.
The only reason some of you guys follow her is because she's a decent looking, younger gal, and I'm not calling anybody out in particular. Primarily because I don't know you. I'm just talking human nature here. Please keep this civil and don't get your bowels in an uproar. :thumbsup:

Given that naked and afraid may as well be a scripted show, it doesn't prove much. At the end of the day, you can't control for luck, so it matters little what someone sets out to prove. Some will survive, and some will not

Why would any sane person go into the wilderness naked, unless forced to do so? That show is purely for entertainment. Not saying the folks on there don't have to survive under difficult circumstances, just saying the whole concept is ludicrous.

Back