SURVIVE! Bushcraft Knife (GSO-4.5?)

Was hoping it stays under the 4-5 oz range being so thin.

My guess is a little over. I did a LxWxT of just the steel and it came out to 5.44 ounces. This obviously doesnt take into account metal removes in the shape of the blade nor the weight associated with the handles. also not sure if its solid tang or not... looks like a solidworks # or bust..

I have had many many conversations with the wife about the "new" purchases...also wore out the "this old thing" line on about the 7th knife.

Specs: of the bark river 3V Aurora LT below... It has dimensions similar to the GSO 4.5, but the 4.5 is substantially thinner. I am thinking that the GSO 4.5 is going to come in just under 5oz.

Overall Length: 9.5 Inches
Blade Length: 4.5 Inches
Blade Steel: CPM 3V
Hardness: 58 rc
Blade Thickness: .150 Inch
Weight: 5.5 Ounces

That is .02 thinner than the standard 3V Aurora and .5 oz lighter. If every .02 is roughly 1/2 oz then that reinforces the under 5 oz weight for the GSO 4.5. Dont know if it is going to be a skelonized handle or not. I believe the aurora is.

Last edited:
Also... A scandi version of this would be sweet too.

skeletonised tangs, true scandi ground and pushing the 3V steel to the max. I'm sure the edge will roll a bit at an acute angle (at least my own experience with all thin ground 3V) though so maybe real thin edge with small microbevel lol.

I'm excited to see the knife.
I have a GSO 5, and like a full/thick handle. I hope the 4.5 delivered on that for carving comfort.
As for toughness, I'm curious how the thin stock will do.
Does anybody have experience with 3v this thin?

I don't have any experience with 3v this thin but I couldn't see Guy designing something he thinks would ever fail. In the above thread he talks about any failure in the field is unacceptable. I would trust the fact it'll be OK. Now its not gonna be a heavy duty pry bar, or a heavy batoning blade.

Excellent.
I really try to never pry with my knife (no reason to yet). My batoning needs are simply for kindling.
I have a GSO 5 and it is great, but it is very thick (overkill?). I want to get a thin blade for the cutting geometry.
I know 3v has quite the reputation, so I'm expecting good things from it.

Since he scrapped the scandi grind knives when they didn't meet his standards I am confident that the bushcraft knives will hold up.
Who else would find a 3V scandi too flimsy to sell?

I don't think scandis are flimsy. The thickness of the spine runs most of the blade. Now I have heard that the edge, when truly zero ground, is sometimes prone to rolling. Thats is why most people put a small microbevel on their scandi blades.

I have full confidence that the 4.5 will be tough enough for any normal knife task and even light battening, like kindling and maybe the edges of small rounds of wood.

I don't have any 3V quite as thin as the 4.5 at .115." I did flat grind a BR liten bror that starts off .156" because I wanted more of a slicing type blade. It still feels plenty tough for any cutting tasks. I wouldn't worry about the 4.5, especially with the lower saber grind.

I have full confidence that the 4.5 will be tough enough for any normal knife task and even light battening, like kindling and maybe the edges of small rounds of wood.

Riz already said it better than I did while I was posting :D

I wouldn't worry about the 4.5, especially with the lower saber grind.

That brings up a question regarding the low saber grind.
How does the angle compare to the thicker knives that have a higher saber grind?
Is there really an improved slicing capability with the 4.5?

A good question. Although I was saying I wouldn't worry about the toughness because of the lower grind rather than it's slicing ability. But the thin stock will absolutely help in the slicing department. I do not know what the inclusive angle will be on the 4.5 to compare it, say to the 4.1.

This blade has right around 10 degrees of included angle on the primary bevel, with a very thin cutting edge for easy slicing and a deep bite. Being such a thin blade overall, with a saber style grind and very thin cutting edge shoulder, I just thought it was best to stick with CPM-3V only. With a 4.5" blade, quite a bit of force can be leveraged on it and I imagine, even though it is a "bushcraft" design, that some people will do some light batoning work and rougher chores with it. My steel selection really just has to do with my personal expectations of the blade.

Guy seems confident that this knife will slice well. :)

Survive! said:
This blade has right around 10 degrees of included angle on the primary bevel....

Wow. I missed that I guess. Thanks for pointing it out Fancier. Yeah it should slice like nobody's business.

Back