SURVIVE! Bushcraft Knife (GSO-4.5?)

Nobody would accuse you of being negative, Silver. :)
There are a lot of different ways of looking at this production pipeline and you are correct that there are a lot of models in process already.
To judge when the 5.1 model went into production I looked at the old 1st Friday updates and June said that it was already in progress.
To be fair I'm counting production from the point at which pre-orders are being closed.
Like I said, I am looking forward to seeing what happens in 2016, it should be a fun ride as all the different models start shipping.

If anything I was going for more of a Realistic Rachel approach, but didn't want to come off as negative.

Good detective work with the First Friday Newsletter! I might have been looking at the same thing, but either interpreted it wrong or remembered incorrectly... wouldn't be the first time :)

And yeah 2016 is going to be the best ever, there's a lot to look forward to!

I'm going to be optimistic and remain hopeful for sept's opening of archery season. I didn't use a tag this season, but i am really really hoping to use one next season and it would be nice to have the 4.5 to process my kill.

any update on this model??

The current Production Schedule indicates that they have the steel, but right now S!K is working on catching up on a lot of other orders as well as other models. The 4.5 is slated to begin cutting after the GSO-6 which comes after the GSO-12 which comes after the 3.5 - the 3.5 is cut and is currently at the grinding-contractor. It will likely take months for the 3.5s to reach final production, so i wouldn't expect the 4.5 to show up until maybe a year from now. I could be wrong, S!K is such a small company and often struggling with getting things finished and out the door, and they have many hundreds if not thousands of other knives to complete first.. I expect it's going to take a while :oops:

I just noticed that the 4.5 isn't listed as receiving a SK line version.
I wonder if that is a deliberate choice or just an error in the update, because every other model after the 3.5 lists a SK version as well as the GSO.

I think the whole bushcraft or scandi idea was a tough one for Guy. With his philosophy and idea of what he wanted his knives to be able to do, the super thin stuff just didn't fit. That makes sense if this is a limited run.

I think the whole bushcraft or scandi idea was a tough one for Guy. With his philosophy and idea of what he wanted his knives to be able to do, the super thin stuff just didn't fit. That makes sense if this is a limited run.

He just hates doing scandi grinds.

Perhaps someday when he makes a run of kitchen knives we'll end up with a petty that works as a bushcraft knife. ;)
Guy does seem to value ruggedness over slicing ability.

He just hates doing scandi grinds.
A typical scandi grind angle might be around 13°. Guy's primary bevels are in the vicinity of 5° with a secondary of around 20°.
For those values that secondary bevel angle is a lot tougher than the scandi grind angle, and Guy favors a damage resistant blade.
So, yeah, I guess he hates scandis. (He also said they took too long to sharpen.) He did give them a try a few years back and flunked a whole batch that have been reground into the current GSO 4 LTD.

Back