• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad Survive! Deserves A Permanent Post In The Hall Of Shame

That can be a real trial these days.
__07a9b1132169367bd55e3446c921e712_width-300.gif

Oh I forgot to mention the location! It's in Texas; Yee-ha!
Wait, what?! S!K is moving to Texas????!!!!
GREAT! Another 5 year delay.

Quick question, what is your opinion of a restocking fee being charged for a product that isn't even made yet, and is still years out from delivery? A company asking for that, moral and upstanding? Or some shady shysters? Asking for a friend.
Thank you for asking for me. ;)

they have the right to put up any fees,as long as they're legal.
as you have the right to not buy from them.

nobody forces you to buy from them.

you're not gonna share any link with me?

But to the point ... restocking fee, raw material fee, whatever.... when the orders were placed (well, when my orders were placed), there was no mention of a cancellation fee. None. That was instituted AFTER a lot of people got tired of waiting, and cancelled their orders as is/was their right. The way I see it, S!K panicked. Speculation: They had used all the money paid for knives to buy raw materials, probably tools and/or machinery, and basically didn't have that money anymore. So they had to levy a fee to try to stop people from cancelling orders on knives that didn't exist and wouldn't for years, because the money those people would be demanding back was gone like a puff of smoke, and they probably had no way of paying people back.

All this probably because (IIRC, and I could be wrong), Guy had had some trouble in the past that prevented him from getting capital funding to go forward with his business (that I read somewhere years ago in a thread in, I believe, the S!K sub-forum). So, my speculation here, he needed to use the money paid up front for knives in order to get the business going, as well as get the material for those knives. If enough people had demanded their money back (speculation again), he probably would have ended up in bankruptcy, or worse.

i

i get it,their business practice is poor and shady at best.
i never said it was good or they were good people.

all i want to see is if somebody is claiming they never received their knife after full completion/shipping of the model they ordered and paid in advance.

all you did is send me some links of people complaining and whining about long waits and lies etc.

is there anybody out there that never received their knife after full completion?

i asked this question at least 10 times and nobody can answer it for me...

why is that?

maybe because in the end SK actually delivers promised product and your claims of running a ponzi sheme were false?

OK, I'll come forward and say I didn't receive my knife after full completion (I think they're complete). It is a technicality, but I did not receive the GSO-6 that I ordered. BECAUSE IT TOOK THEM SO LONG TO BUILD THE DAMN KNIFE THAT BY THE TIME THEY PRODUCED AND SENT IT, THE DESIGN HAD CHANGED, AND IT WAS NO LONGER THE KNIFE I ORDERED!!!!

Yes, a technicality, but it is true. Between the time I ordered the GSO-6 and the time I received it (which was, by the way, within weeks of having been over 5 years after the pre-order), they changed the knife and enlarged the grip/handle area. I've whined about this earlier in this thread, so I won't go into all that detail again. But the fact remains, I ordered a knife based on the design they presented, and sometime between the time I pre-ordered and the time they built it, they changed the design significantly. I never knew about the design change, because I have better things to do than follow S!K on the 'gram, and the 'tube, and whatever else marketing scheme they dream up. All I did to keep up was read the monthly news letters from Ellie. Apparently I missed the design change in her letter (assuming she even put in in there; most of the time it was a message blowing sunshine up my ass on how they were turning things around and speeding up getting knives out).

So anyway, I have quite a few of their knives, and they ARE good pieces of steel (well, I'm still trying to warm up to the GSO-6 abomination, but at least it cuts). But the company itself is trash, IMO. It would be interesting to see what would happen if they were forced to finish/deliver all the orders already placed before taking more orders. I bet they couldn't do it. I am betting they would run out of money before they even got all the raw material, because they are counting on pre-orders for new knives to actually fund finishing the knives already ordered.

At least all that is my opinion on the subject. As a closet S!K fanbag (I like that term, Quiet Quiet , especially in this matter).

Wait, what?! S!K is moving to Texas????!!!!
GREAT! Another 5 year delay.

Thank you for asking for me. ;)

But to the point ... restocking fee, raw material fee, whatever.... when the orders were placed (well, when my orders were placed), there was no mention of a cancellation fee. None. That was instituted AFTER a lot of people got tired of waiting, and cancelled their orders as is/was their right. The way I see it, S!K panicked. Speculation: They had used all the money paid for knives to buy raw materials, probably tools and/or machinery, and basically didn't have that money anymore. So they had to levy a fee to try to stop people from cancelling orders on knives that didn't exist and wouldn't for years, because the money those people would be demanding back was gone like a puff of smoke, and they probably had no way of paying people back.

All this probably because (IIRC, and I could be wrong), Guy had had some trouble in the past that prevented him from getting capital funding to go forward with his business (that I read somewhere years ago in a thread in, I believe, the S!K sub-forum). So, my speculation here, he needed to use the money paid up front for knives in order to get the business going, as well as get the material for those knives. If enough people had demanded their money back (speculation again), he probably would have ended up in bankruptcy, or worse.

OK, I'll come forward and say I didn't receive my knife after full completion (I think they're complete). It is a technicality, but I did not receive the GSO-6 that I ordered. BECAUSE IT TOOK THEM SO LONG TO BUILD THE DAMN KNIFE THAT BY THE TIME THEY PRODUCED AND SENT IT, THE DESIGN HAD CHANGED, AND IT WAS NO LONGER THE KNIFE I ORDERED!!!!

Yes, a technicality, but it is true. Between the time I ordered the GSO-6 and the time I received it (which was, by the way, within weeks of having been over 5 years after the pre-order), they changed the knife and enlarged the grip/handle area. I've whined about this earlier in this thread, so I won't go into all that detail again. But the fact remains, I ordered a knife based on the design they presented, and sometime between the time I pre-ordered and the time they built it, they changed the design significantly. I never knew about the design change, because I have better things to do than follow S!K on the 'gram, and the 'tube, and whatever else marketing scheme they dream up. All I did to keep up was read the monthly news letters from Ellie. Apparently I missed the design change in her letter (assuming she even put in in there; most of the time it was a message blowing sunshine up my ass on how they were turning things around and speeding up getting knives out).

So anyway, I have quite a few of their knives, and they ARE good pieces of steel (well, I'm still trying to warm up to the GSO-6 abomination, but at least it cuts). But the company itself is trash, IMO. It would be interesting to see what would happen if they were forced to finish/deliver all the orders already placed before taking more orders. I bet they couldn't do it. I am betting they would run out of money before they even got all the raw material, because they are counting on pre-orders for new knives to actually fund finishing the knives already ordered.

At least all that is my opinion on the subject. As a closet S!K fanbag (I like that term, Quiet Quiet , especially in this matter).
This is a bet that I absolutely would not take, because everyone knows the money is already gone. Case in point, someone pointed out in a thread here somewhere how S?K didn't really start posting up about knives going out, until after they'd had a "successful" preorder for a new model to be released next, because they ABSOLUTELY were using those preorder funds for other things, mainly eating, having a dry place to sleep, and taking vacations. Oh, and using the new preorder funds to pay those companies who produce the blade blanks and other parts, for them to make those parts for the PREVIOUS order. LOL

Also, they bought some bed and breakfast thing that burned down, if I recall. Anyway, one big reason why Guy probably couldn't get capital funding is because he's a convicted felon who did jailtime. I personally think your opinion is correct, that those fees they were charging were instituted in the hopes that people wouldn't all pile on and suddenly all their money was gone. They knew full well Paypal and the banks/credit card companies would side with the customer and they'd be getting their money back.

Guy and Ellie are a couple of trash scumbags, and I hope that eventually they go out of business.

Maybe Guy can open a carwash, I hear that's all the rage with washed-up former knife company owners. LOL

Weird how that one guy who was hitting all the sales threads for a knife found that same knife he wanted in stock and ready to ship at the factory. Just lucky I guess.

They are definitely moving to Texas. They responded to a now deleted conversation that they have bought a bigger warehouse, and plan on moving in Q3 2021.

They are definitely moving to Texas. They responded to a now deleted conversation that they have bought a bigger warehouse, and plan on moving in Q3 2021.
Seriously? Did they say where?

I just bought and received my very first Carothers knife. (DEK1) which IMO is a fantastic knife I would easily put against my current gen SK GSO 5.1 for quality if not surpassing.
I remember back when they were in Idaho SK used to have weekly sales, you would buy and see your knife in a month.. That morphed into "preordering-prepaying" from six cad models and praying to see it in 5 years.
Point is, this contrast between the two companies is a current real-world illustration SK does NOT exist in a vacuum... you have a company like Carothers that puts out as good/better semi custom and does it legitimately.

Last edited:
Another excuse for more delays.
Some of our key equipment was badly damaged by the movers during the trip to Texas and some has gone missing! We will need to delay production pending an investigation by our insurance company, but expect to be back on track within the next few months. Please bear with us while we deal with this unfortunate, unforeseeable, not our fault mess!
~Ellie
:rolleyes:

Some of our key equipment was badly damaged by the movers during the trip to Texas and some has gone missing! We will need to delay production pending an investigation by our insurance company, but expect to be back on track within the next few months. Please bear with us while we deal with this unfortunate, unforeseeable, not our fault mess!
~Ellie
:rolleyes:
Are you serious?

If it were not for the people who's $$s are tied up in this steaming pile of splattered faecal matter it would be comical......

Back