• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad Survive! Deserves A Permanent Post In The Hall Of Shame

Serious question, what makes you think this time is different than the last dozen times they were 'getting their act together'?
I read about those. Boy who cried wolf stuff for sure. I think for me, now, it has to do with seeing the videos they've been pushing out. You can see the machinery pieces and tables full of knives. I don't understand why these knives can't be made in a few weeks, maybe that will be the end state for them finally.
Seems like a great way to ruin your job.
It wouldn't ruin my job but I'll look pretty stupid if it goes south or has ridiculous wait times. Seeing whether it's looking like they'll make good on the promise to get everything out by Christmas will be a huge factor if I/we pull the trigger.
First, I believe you are a shill etc.. etc..
I wouldn't expect any less. Same with accusations I'm getting paid and so on. I absolutely joined a few days ago just to post this message of my experience from Survive. I like them and have had good experiences with them. I was transparent about my bias and acknowledged the complaints against them without offering any justification because there is none.
Fools are easily separated from their money, if someone doesn't do their research before buying a product I don't feel incredibly bad for them. If someone buys a product from someone with a terrible terrible track record of sales (survive) I'm not feeling sorry for them either. I took a chance and it wasn't too bad.

I can tell you that the day after my 4 month-to-ship period was up I called my credit card to warn them off I might be putting in a complaint. The lady I spoke with told me she ( at Visa) couldn't see any flags or complaints on the company (which I found surprising). Long story short my order was supposed to take 4 months to ship. Just looked and it's actually 6 and a half months to ship. Hopefully that's a good sign for those still waiting.

Well to be totally honest Guy and Ellie did say they'd send some shills over here to do a pump and dump. They asked to make sure to give the a warm reception.

We're all for it to keep the reality of those two at the top of the results.

Either your house is in order, or it’s not. My house is not in order, but I’m not starting up a knife company. They would get points for trying if they were hobbyists, but they say they are a business so until they get the orders out the door from 2015 I will continue to urinate all over them.

I read about those. Boy who cried wolf stuff for sure. I think for me, now, it has to do with seeing the videos they've been pushing out. You can see the machinery pieces and tables full of knives. I don't understand why these knives can't be made in a few weeks, maybe that will be the end state for them finally.
Because....they've never done that before. Remember, there is nearly a 10 year history of this scam. It keeps working because they get new suckers like you to idiotically, and against all advice/evidence, keep giving them money.

It wouldn't ruin my job but I'll look pretty stupid if it goes south or has ridiculous wait times. Seeing whether it's looking like they'll make good on the promise to get everything out by Christmas will be a huge factor if I/we pull the trigger.
Do these people know the extent of the scam? I mean, not your version of it, but rather the actual facts as explained by rational minded humans? Send them all the link to this thread, and all the others about them here on bladeforums. If they still want to buy in please let us know what business you all are running so the rest of us rational minded humans can avoid it like the plague.

And again, did you miss the part where I told you to go away? You smell like shill.

so until they get the orders out the door from 2015 I will continue to urinate all over them.
Nope. Not even then. They are untrustworthy scammers. Even if they make good, they can't be trusted to always do good. One mistake is excusable, and in general I believe people deserve a second chance. Nearly a decade of actively running one of the biggest scams in the knife industry? No way should any reasonable person give them one more cent. They had their shot. Too many quality people to support in this hobby than to even consider surfail as a viable option. Ever.

called my credit card to warn them
Funny you say this in support of them. Why bother, who needs the headache. You bought a knife over 6 months ago- You should be out using and enjoying it instead of supporting the people who let you down. But then you've got nothing else to do since you never received the knife.

I've lost count of the number of shills that have come here thumping their chest in support only to slink away in disgust after having been proven wrong. Proven wrong by Survives! own actions and business practices.

I've lost count of the number of shills that have come here thumping their chest in support only to slink away in disgust after having been proven wrong. Proven wrong by Survives! own actions and business practices.
It’s hard to really support a company with a 6 year backlog that pumps out knives for new customers first. Forget everything else… that by itself is hard to rationalize.

I'm not sure why their blades are so expensive on eBay but some of them are almost selling twice the MSRP.
My guess is that some people really want those knives, and buying one on ebay means they'll actually get it in a timely manner. Unless survive are auctioning off pre-orders. Nothing would surprise me anymore.

I've never looked at their site before and didn't know anything about what was going on, but I really appreciate posts like this to keep us safe. Looking at their website with virgin eyes I can say it looks good, and made me feel confident that if I ordered something, I'd get it in a reasonable amount of time. Everything looks in order and the way they write about the ordering process is just like any other I've pre ordered successfully through, so thank you for this warning post because if I came across them any other way, I very well might have jumped in line for a blade and been stuck waiting like all the rest

They would get points for trying if they were hobbyists, but they say they are a business so until they get the orders out the door from 2015 I will continue to urinate all over them.
They've promised to do so by Christmas. They've also made promises in the past. Looks like they have new capacity and capability. It's october now, they're getting down to the wire.

And again, did you miss the part where I told you to go away?
I must have, can you remind me what post it was?

Funny you say this in support of them. Why bother, who needs the headache. You bought a knife over 6 months ago- You should be out using and enjoying it instead of supporting the people who let you down.
At the end of the day I think there is a small group of knife enthusiasts such as yourselves here for whom ethics, when it comes to these companies, is a huge deal. I'm guessing a lot of people just see something they want and buy it. Evidence of that is in the people willing to wait years for knives. I've always carried production knives so it was never an issue with me.
No chest thumping here, more of a Hello there.

You can see the machinery pieces and tables full of knives.
Been seeing that for years... means absolutely nothing.
I don't understand why these knives can't be made in a few weeks
Yes, hard to understand why a mid-tech knife with a very basic design and an average heat treat would take years to receive.

I've always carried production knives so it was never an issue with me.
And that's all these are too, IMO. But what do I know? I'm just a fella who has followed them from the beginning when they were in Gettysburg. Had an original 7/7 back then.

I must have, can you remind me what post it was?
Allow me to assist.
Looks like Boru13 has assisted. BTW, he's the guy you should be paying attention to here. My words are just that. Doesn't post a ton like some of us but him quoting you so much here in the context of this thread is, well, meaningful....

My guess is that some people really want those knives, and buying one on ebay means they'll actually get it in a timely manner. Unless survive are auctioning off pre-orders. Nothing would surprise me anymore.
I picked one up on eBay for that very reason. I noticed when Survive started putting up videos about their equipment, order status, and timelines people started dumping new survive knives they were holding onto on eBay and elsewhere.

Yes, hard to understand why a mid-tech knife with a very basic design and an average heat treat would take years to receive.
Big fan of the basic design, I'll have to take your word on it being mid-tech. It's interesting reading about the different steels here. I also never knew what heat treating was before reading this thread. Hoping I can find some more information about it on this site

And the bold would be the issue, no one that placed an order prior to yours should be waiting.
I think they work on batches of knives. I'm guessing they don't have the capacity to make individual knives to order and need to make a bunch at once? The pictures they've posted suggest that to me and I think when I ordered mine Guy talked about only a couple slots left but I'm not 100% sure. Shortly after I ordered mine the option to order more on their website was halted.

I picked one up on eBay for that very reason. I noticed when Survive started putting up videos about their equipment, order status, and timelines people started dumping new survive knives they were holding onto on eBay and elsewhere.

Big fan of the basic design, I'll have to take your word on it being mid-tech. It's interesting reading about the different steels here. I also never knew what heat treating was before reading this thread. Hoping I can find some more information about it on this site

I think they work on batches of knives. I'm guessing they don't have the capacity to make individual knives to order and need to make a bunch at once? The pictures they've posted suggest that to me and I think when I ordered mine Guy talked about only a couple slots left but I'm not 100% sure. Shortly after I ordered mine the option to order more on their website was halted.
Holy sheet batman. You really don't know near enough to be giving your opinion on anything knife related, except maybe "me likey".

Don't take offense but you need to read a lot more and post a lot less (IE not at all).

Back