• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad Survive! Deserves A Permanent Post In The Hall Of Shame

None at all.
Cool. Here are the pictures.
Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3

Are these photoshopped or legit pictures? I haven't seen any of their knives popping up at retailers. I have seen some popping up on places like eBay which suggests to me they've been shipped out and buyers lost interest and are turning around and offloading them.
You either trust them to deliver or you don't.
Sounds like they're having supplier issues. While that's hardly an isolated situation across the country it sure gives Survive an out while reaffirming the beliefs of detracters.

Caught the video about Magnacut steel. Is that steel really that good? They didn't really answer how long the delays switching to this new metal would be.

It's pretty ballsy switching to a new metal without consulting the buyers first. "It just makes sense" is a bold assumption to make on behalf of people. It seems like the company can almost do whatever they want and their diehard fans will love it. The problem with that is that you can't always count on a loyal fan base to support your company long term, you need new customers. It's very easy to fall for that trap.

A good example is Kingswood Capital Management who bought up Mountain Equipment Coop (MEC) in Canada- MEC catered to a certain base which actually lasted quite a while but they still thundered in when they refused to adapt.

6 years and 4 months for one poor sap that waited a very long time.
Inexcusable if you ask me. I've never tried to justify that kind of wait time. I personally can't understand why someone would let them keep their money for 6 years without manning up and doing something about it. In my experience people go fucking berserk when they're out a few dollars.

Survive! Knives has been ahead of the pack when it comes to supplier issues. They've had supplier issues for the last seven years. Have they delivered any Magnacut Steel knives or just talked about it?

They've had years to prove the critics wrong and still haven't.

Fell off the plate when work picked up. I get some of you guys are on here daily/nightly. Truthfully, I regret making fun of people here for post counts, we all have our hobbies and interests. I apologize.
That's OK. Pictures of knives shipping 3 weeks ago would be superfluous at this point since all those actual knives should be arriving at the customer's doors any day now.

Right?

Sounds like they're having supplier issues. While that's hardly an isolated situation across the country it sure gives Survive an out while reaffirming the beliefs of detracters.
The problem is, Survive has been making that excuse for nearly a decade, before there was a pandemic. Recently, they have claimed to be more self reliant, not depending on other people (low key slamming people they previously worked with). Is that what this looks like? Have the done better? Ever? Same problems as actual businesses? Same excuses as before. How convenient.

The Boy Who Cried Wolf. One of Aesop's Fables- Timeless.

Even if Survive is now experiencing supplier issues- They've already used the ruse continually for almost a decade, so it carries no weight or credibility.
Exactly.

Looks like at least one here is thinking of taking the risk! Thing is, why? Are the knives so much better than other maker's, that it is worth the wait or possible risk? No way. Also, some of us care who we support with our dollars. Giving money over to proven lairs and scam artists? Again, no thanks, no matter how good their product is...

The Boy Who Cried Wolf. One of Aesop's Fables- Timeless.

Even if Survive is now experiencing supplier issues- They've already used the ruse continually for almost a decade, so it carries no weight or credibility.
I think it’s more like The Emporer’s New Clothes. Only the clothes are knives… and they have your money.

The problem is, Survive has been making that excuse for nearly a decade, before there was a pandemic. Recently, they have claimed to be more self reliant, not depending on other people (low key slamming people they previously worked with). Is that what this looks like? Have the done better? Ever? Same problems as actual businesses? Same excuses as before. How convenient.
It appears that the latest apologist has discovered that his faith was just as misplaced as all that of all his predecessors.

“It was just a failure to launch,” Seiferd summarizes.
2012-2021 isn't a failure to launch. The rocket tipped over and exploded.
Seiferd now happily confirms that the legendary backlog is almost done with.
I wait with baited breath.
“We are stuck with that narrative, and honestly it’s less than ideal,” he says. “But even customers who had to wait a long time, once they got their knives, seem to have stopped bashing us. Some are even ordering new things.”
"We call those people idiots, and we thank God for them every day."

The timing is questionable. This looks like damage control since Survive! Knives didn't ship all their backorders by Christmas like they said- For the umpteenth time.

The struggling startup, the comeback kid doesn't really pass the smell test after 10 years.

The most pathetic thing about the article, other than Survive continuing to blame everyone but themselves, is the utter cluelessness in revealing yet again that "there are a ton of projects in the hopper" while multi-year backorders continue to remain unfulfilled.

Last edited:
Back