SURVIVE! & flint/quartz?

I have a ferro notch on all 3 of my SURVIVE! Knives but has anyone tried hitting the spine on some flint or quartz to make sparks for tinder ignition? Done it with my BHK's just wondering if it works with these bad boys too. Redundancy is crucial in survival for me so one more way to make fire never hurts

I have a ferro notch on all 3 of my SURVIVE! Knives but has anyone tried hitting the spine on some flint or quartz to make sparks for tinder ignition? Done it with my BHK's just wondering if it works with these bad boys too. Redundancy is crucial in survival for me so one more way to make fire never hurts

I have not tried but was told the steels like 3v dont or dont do it well. Kind of the point of the steel is that it is tough and hard. A second lighter, or ferro rod is redundent. The chances of finding those rocks in alot of places is probably lower then losing a lighter and ferro rod.
When even grinding in the anneled state the dust is so small probably due to PM steel it barly sparks. The hardened state is even less.

Last edited:
Back