Survive! GSO 4 Limited Edition Regrind

This knife looks way better than I expected , (thanks silver ) . I just put it in my cart and realized I went over my monthly knife budget . I'm gonna be rubbing the old lady's feet tonight when she gets home lol
Ha! I'm sorry, but not sorry :rolleyes:

Keep us posted.

UtccG8V.jpg

Are these being delivered now?

Is the lead time on "pre-orders" being placed now the 6 months quoted on the Survive site?

So the May delivery, despite being 2 months padded, was missed?

Was May a promised thing or just a hoped-for thing? I have one on order and seem to remember mention of "May" as the expected delivery time-frame but don't recall that being on the order-page itself.

Anyway, if S!K only misses their 'hoped for' delivery time-frame by a few months, I call that progress!!! ;)

Found this post on Page 1 of this thread, from November '16 ;)

I understand that our track record with lead times hasn't been great but I want everyone to know that we put a lot of thought into this preorder based on the feedback we have been receiving. Guy believes the orders will start shipping out in 4 months so I was sure to extend that time frame quite a bit. Additionally, the blades have already finished at production grinding so they are MUCH further along. The handles are on schedule to start machining and there are a lot less blades so every step will be a bit quicker. Even the restocking fee serves a dual purpose, to protect us from losses due to cancelled orders and to encourage people to think a bit more about if they want to preorder or not. We were also sure to limit the number of preorders we are accepting. We are learning as we go, listening to your feedback and doing what we can to improve.

That is the post I was referencing.

The pre-order page stated the same thing it does now: "Estimated delivery time is 6 months from order date".

That is the post I was referencing.

The pre-order page stated the same thing it does now: "Estimated delivery time is 6 months from order date".

I found my order e-mail, it says: "Estimated delivery is 6-10 months from order date" and that was November 10th. May was on the low end of the estimate, let's all hope that they come in under the higher end ;)

I found my order e-mail, it says: "Estimated delivery is 6-10 months from order date" and that was November 10th. May was on the low end of the estimate, let's all hope that they come in under the higher end ;)

I thought better of it and didn't order, so wasn't aware of the quote in the email. Thanks for that and here is hoping 10 months works out.

So...I'm wondering what you guys are doing for your GSO 4 LE sheaths. I ordered mine without the Sagewood Gear sheath and planned on getting a kydex rig after receiving the blade however, I have never used a leather sheath and I'm rethinking my decision.

For those who have owned a Sagewood Gear sheath, maybe you can school me on the pros and cons of leather vs kydex. How does it compare to kydex and how much of a weight penalty is leather vs kydex?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and input

So...I'm wondering what you guys are doing for your GSO 4 LE sheaths. I ordered mine without the Sagewood Gear sheath and planned on getting a kydex rig after receiving the blade however, I have never used a leather sheath and I'm rethinking my decision.

For those who have owned a Sagewood Gear sheath, maybe you can school me on the pros and cons of leather vs kydex. How does it compare to kydex and how much of a weight penalty is leather vs kydex?

I didn't order a sheath with mine either. Only because I'm a kydex guy. Having said that, I have a Sagewood for my old 4.1, and it is a top quality rig. If I were going with leather for the LE I'd definitely jump on the ones that are available.

I don't notice much weight difference between the materials. The biggest reason I go with kydex: I place a lot of value on the ability to draw one-handed from a rig that holds the knife secure, but that has no strap to get cut up. Because I will, eventually, end up cutting that sumbuck.

Have you been purchasing aftermarket kydex, or are you talking more production kydex? I really like the kydex Guy's been having built for these GSOs, but this LE will most likely end up with Eric at Mashed Cat.

I got the sagewood sheath for the 4LE because it was the only option at checkout. I have the sagewood sheath that survive released with the old 4.1, its definitely a quality piece of leather and it came with options to scout carry it or a dangler. With that being said i never use it, i went back to the original kydex sheath almost immediately. I felt like it held onto the blade a little too well and was difficult to resheath the blade in the scout setup.

I also have a leather sheath for my bhk scout and it has the opposite problem it doesn't hold the blade tight enough it kinda just drops in there. This is great for around the yard but i wouldnt trust it on a serious hike. Im loving the leather sheath that came with my jakaaripuka its leather with a kydex insert and holds the blade great. I think this is my favorite set up with kydex wrapped in leather. I just ordered a similar sheath for my cpk edc3. Its leather but also uses a tek lok.

Im loving the leather sheath that came with my jakaaripuka its leather with a kydex insert

Leather over kydex, my favorite type of sheath. The one thing about kydex that makes problems for me is that it's more noisy in the woods.

Have you been purchasing aftermarket kydex, or are you talking more production kydex? I really like the kydex Guy's been having built for these GSOs, but this LE will most likely end up with Eric at Mashed Cat.

Thanks gents, keep it coming.

My current fixed blade inventory is a Busse SOS and RMD, CPK EDC and Field knife with factory and aftermarket kydex. I have four GSO's on order but none in my posesion yet. I really don't have a lot of experience with fixed blades so that's why I'm soliciting your input and experience. I lean towards kydex because it light, secure and easy to draw from, but the sagewood sheaths look awesome....

Uses for the 4LE will be for hunting/game prep and backpacking. It will most likey be carried inside my pack, so the sheath may not matter as much as I think if there is not much of a weight penality for leather.

Back