• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Survive GSO knives

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the people, and I use that term loosely, behind the alleged Survive? Knife company put as much effort into actually producing knives as they do coming up with methods to obtain funds without delivering anything they'd actually have a real knife company.

Selling "seconds" of products that haven't been produced yet.

Charging "restocking" fees on products ordered and then cancelled but that actually don't exist.

Scheduling one day per week to issue refunds?

Offering discounts to idiots, er uh I mean would-be customers to pay in advance for knives that exist only in AutoCAD drawings.

Taking non-refundable deposits on products that don't exist and probably never will exist. Pretty sure that ones is blatantly illegal according to the UCC but I could be wrong, it might only be dishonest.

Simply breath taking...

Well said.

I have been tempted to order from them but have held off. Sounds too much like they might have a MAJOR cash flow problem. Are they paying for current production with future orders? Company does all this to keep the money coming in for product that hasn't been manufactured yet--and won't be a for a good while--gotta make you wonder.

I tried to order every knife on the site and every SK Series, GSO Series and 2nd only have a compare option. Couldn't order any of them, except one. Only the GSO-3.5 Preorder lets you get a knife into the cart.

When I went to their website I arbitrarily picked one knife and it went into the cart (it was the GSO-3.5), took it though paypal then got sent back to survive ! for order completion and figured that's good enough for me to prove their full of it.

Pre-orders are still orders.

They want to say preorder are not presale but neither one is getting filled so if they change the name of the ordering process and take orders it is orders. A preorder for the 3.5 is a order.

You both just repeated what I said with an emphasis on exactly what I said. Thanks for the update.

Well said.

I have been tempted to order from them but have held off. Sounds too much like they might have a MAJOR cash flow problem. Are they paying for current production with future orders? Company does all this to keep the money coming in for product that hasn't been manufactured yet--and won't be a for a good while--gotta make you wonder.

I have heard from those current owners who I trust that their new Gen GSO-4.1 with the Delta 3V HT is one heck of a knife, although I have never owned one. I had owned their new Gen GSO 5.1 & GSO 4.7 (pre Delta HT) but ultimately decided to move on to another maker. When I used to order from them circa Spring 2016, their production and delivery issues so far as their Factory Seconds were concerned, were not such prevalent and problematic concerns as they are today. IIRC, the most that I had to wait for any F-2nd order was 8 weeks from the order date (pre July 2016).

Case in point: if you get a chance to grab one of their new Gen 4.1s on here and if it does not contradict with some moral dilemma which often faces some folks, i.e, "I love the knife but I loathe the maker / their practices", then you may want to consider getting one from a private party, albeit at a premium which IMHO would still be worthwhile as far the knife alone is concerned. You will likely see both the 4.1 and the 7/7 models appearing soon on the secondary markets as those who had waited for an excruciatingly long period of time may just wish to make a quick profit to justify the unreasonably long fulfillment time.

You both just repeated what I said with an emphasis on exactly what I said. Thanks for the update.

Nah, you missed my post that preceded your post

Either way, refunds have been issued. Emails are still being answered. We are working on drafts to update the website with more information. We aren't taking knife orders. I just answered the phone... I'm closing this thread.
(dated 10/12/17 2:26 PM)
Quoted from this closed thread https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/poor-customer-service.1517607/page-18

At the risk of being impolite this is pure BS, you can order knives on their website right now.

Check their site again.

Ok so you can no longer Purchase a pre-order.

To re-cap: Ellie posts on 10/12 that "We aren't taking knife orders", but Survive is still taking orders up until AT LEAST 10/16 on their website. Normally one could chalk this up to a simple over-site on the company's part, but based on past history and current nonsense in my opinion it just looks like the Ponzi Scheme was hungry and needed to be fed more money.

Last edited:
Ok so you can no longer Purchase a pre-order.

To re-cap: Ellie posts on 10/12 that "We aren't taking knife orders", but Survive is still taking orders at least up until AT LEAST 10/16 on their website. Normally one could chalk this up to a simple over-site on the company's part, but based on past history and current nonsense in my opinion it just looks like the Ponzi Scheme was hungry and needed to be fed more money.
I recognize there was a discrepancy and just wanted to point out the update.

I recognize there was a discrepancy and just wanted to point out the update.
.......SN I can't fault your loyalty (to others) or civility in the face of much angst here, the sad part is that the company only acts when called out it seems (albeit from a position of some detachment on my part). If you are going to say "we will not take more orders/money" even the most inept of people would have ensured that this was in place either right before announcing it or IMMEDIATELY after that point or a specific time/date so as to retain some credibility. That they don't/can't/won't (most will have a view on which it is - I don't have a firm one) is telling. At best, it is completely inept at worst truly dishonest, neither is good.

.......SN I can't fault your loyalty (to others) or civility in the face of much angst here, the sad part is that the company only acts when called out it seems (albeit from a position of some detachment on my part). If you are going to say "we will not take more orders/money" even the most inept of people would have ensured that this was in place either right before announcing it or IMMEDIATELY after that point or a specific time/date so as to retain some credibility. That they don't/can't/won't (most will have a view on which it is - I don't have a firm one) is telling. At best, it is completely inept at worst truly dishonest, neither is good.
I get it, but if the update didn't come from me, it probably would have come up at some point.

I get it, but if the update didn't come from me, it probably would have come up at some point.

I agree and that was not a slight on you either, I am simply being Captain Obvious and saying that once again the company essentially failed in meeting simple honest business practices. Why is where the conjecture lays not that they actually have (that is my view). At what point they stop being "forgiven" the conduct (I mean that in a market, not individual sense) is the question.

I agree and that was not a slight on you either, I am simply being Captain Obvious and saying that once again the company essentially failed in meeting simple honest business practices. Why is where the conjecture lays not that they actually have (that is my view). At what point they stop being "forgiven" the conduct (I mean that in a market, not individual sense) is the question.
I'm not disagreeing with a lot of what you're saying. I've said before that I think SURVIVE! should do what they say they're going to do. With that said, everyone here already has their mind made up.
If SURVIVE! didn't change anything there would be more posts about their ponzi scheme, now that they finally did close out their last open knife model, well..... you'd think by page 11 that I would understand that this thread is only for discussing the bad and ugly.

I'm not disagreeing with a lot of what you're saying. I've said before that I think SURVIVE! should do what they say they're going to do. With that said, everyone here already has their mind made up.
If SURVIVE! didn't change anything there would be more posts about their ponzi scheme, now that they finally did close out their last open knife model, well..... you'd think by page 11 that I would understand that this thread is only for discussing the bad and ugly.

PLEASE stop casting Survive! in the role of the victim. They have consistently misrepresented lead times and provided customers with inaccurate / misleading information since at least the beginning 2015. Oh yeah, they recently did not have the $s to provide refunds and have consistently provided many customers with terrible customer service. With all that in mind, most of what people have to talk about is justifiably "bad and ugly."

I guess that it is "good" that Ellie is no longer lying about not taking orders. Now, if they could just be truthful about lead times...

PLEASE stop casting Survive! in the role of the victim. They have consistently misrepresented lead times and provided customers with inaccurate / misleading information since at least the beginning 2015. Oh yeah, they recently did not have the $s to provide refunds and have consistently provided many customers with terrible customer service. With all that in mind, most of what people have to talk about is justifiably "bad and ugly."

I guess that it is "good" that Ellie is no longer lying about not taking orders. Now, if they could just be truthful about lead times...
That's not what I was going for, but rereading my post I can see how it sounds like that.

Carry on!

everyone here already has their mind made up.

I don't, or at least not in the way you likely mean.

now that they finally did close out their last open knife model, well.....

This strikes as a similar to the attitude some have toward their refunds. Customers ask for refunds for goods that missed the stated lead time, wait some while, then open a post on their forum about the delay. Some while later they finally get it, and the fans post something along the lines of "good for them for following through". This is the same mentality that says "good for them for finally stopping orders some days after they claimed they already had".

Neither of these are good in any way, they are examples of exceptionally poor performance.

Oh yeah, they recently did not have the $s to provide refunds

The fact is customer refunds have been requested and either not received in a timely manner and/or not yet received. I've heard many why's and all are speculation unless someone at Survive! goes on record.

As for their business model being a failure, I'm torn, seems like for customers it is, but for Survive it isn't/wasn't until recent order cutoff. Haven't seen that yet and seems an extreme step of a maker/manufacturer who knows they need to catchup (seen others BF do a handful of times). Why at this point would they want to stop and catchup when this has been going on for year(s). Same comments, frustration and anger has also been going on for year(s) with newness in the arena of restocking fee. I've never seen a post where a customer received a Survive knife and was elated about how on-time or early it was. Has me kind of worried/elated that maybe it's finally coming to an end and FWIW.........Love the knives, use them all the time, with a few in reserve if any wear out as seems like getting more isn't likely.

I don't, or at least not in the way you likely mean.

This strikes as a similar to the attitude some have toward their refunds. Customers ask for refunds for goods that missed the stated lead time, wait some while, then open a post on their forum about the delay. Some while later they finally get it, and the fans post something along the lines of "good for them for following through". This is the same mentality that says "good for them for finally stopping orders some days after they claimed they already had".

Neither of these are good in any way, they are examples of exceptionally poor performance.
I'm not saying they deserve a standing ovation for doing something a week after they said they would, but does this mean it can't even be mentioned?

:thumbsup:
They have consistently misrepresented lead times and provided customers with inaccurate / misleading information since at least the beginning 2015.
Now, if they could just be truthful about lead times...

^ If they can just do this one simple thing, along with increasing production, to meet their demand, they can hopefully, finally, get things turned around in a positive direction.

One thing's for certain: this thread may be a blessing, for S!K), I think are finally beginning to realize, that the time for action is now! One more year of this same type of unacceptable, unprofessional operation...& they will meet their doom.

I for one, am pulling for S!K to succeed. :thumbsup:

That's not what I was going for, but rereading my post I can see how it sounds like that.

Carry on!

No. It looks like that was exactly what you were going for. You have been consistently casting them as the victim for a while now, and it is getting old.

...This strikes as a similar to the attitude some have toward their refunds. Customers ask for refunds for goods that missed the stated lead time, wait some while, then open a post on their forum about the delay. Some while later they finally get it, and the fans post something along the lines of "good for them for following through". This is the same mentality that says "good for them for finally stopping orders some days after they claimed they already had".

Well said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back