Survive kitchen knives

Boker has one they just came out with that i am really interested in:

Boker Vox Field Butcher Fixed Blade Knife Micarta

It is a little thick though (for a "chefs knife")

I use the 4.1 in the kitchen when needed, but a dedicated kitchen knife would be interesting. I'd want to see it and/or read reviews on it first if it ever comes to fruition.

Boker has one they just came out with that i am really interested in:

Boker Vox Field Butcher Fixed Blade Knife Micarta

It is a little thick though (for a "chefs knife")

I googled it, looks similar to my Busse Hog Muk especially with their trademark "talon hole" there in the ricasso...

I googled it, looks similar to my Busse Hog Muk especially with their trademark "talon hole" there in the ricasso...

I actually tried to snatch one of those off the exchange and missed, I'd say the handles are pretty different but the holes in the ricasso are oddly similar, didn't notice the boker even had one until you pointed it out! haha

I know this thread is old but I did manage to pick one of these up yesterday at a local knife shop in Alabama. Boker Field Butcher.

I haven't used it yet but it looks like it will make a great camp knife, especially for food prep.

I would venture that something from Guy would be of similar design and utility. I'd love to see his take on a kitchen/camp knife in the future.

On a side note, I picked up this nice Boker Arctos XL at the same time.

vvnux.jpg
[/IMG]
2rp4aqt.jpg
[/IMG]

I thought about creating a new thread but I bumped this one instead.
I eagerly look forward to Survive creating a line of kitchen knives, and I hope that they will offer them in 3V because I've had great results with my 3V knives in the kitchen.
Oddly enough, I've found more rust on my S30V than I have my 3V. It could be a fluke because the amount of rust was small in the case of S30V and none for the 3V, so it isn't much data to make a case from.
To reply to Chiral's comment from two years ago (better late than never ;) ) I find that the stainless and higher vanadium content knives don't get along with my kitchen usage as well as 3V does. In order to get the same edge durability out of them I have to run higher sharpening angles. I'd love to try some 4V in the kitchen but I've been told that it rusts pretty easily and I don't tend to dry knives before putting them away, so I am reluctant to track down a high hardness really thin 4V knife just to torture it.

You don't dry your kitchen knives?!? I'm pretty rough on mine and don't give them the same care as my outdoors knives, but I still dry them :)

I've only used stainless in the kitchen... and not even that great of a stainless, but they've been ok. A S!K take on kitchen knives would be neat to see.

Let's mark our calendars to bump this thread next year :D

The Survive Kitchen Knives Annual Thread Bump. :thumbsup: Awesome concept. :)
Nope, I really don't dry kitchen knives, I just tend to wipe them down, rinse, shake off the excess and then drop them into the block.
This doesn't cause any problems most of the time (even with cheap 1095) but for some reason my S30V prep knife developed a spot of red rust.
The spot was on the flat and I polished it off and it hasn't returned, but I found it humorous that the "stainless" knife rusted before the 3V did.
As long as I'm on the topic I'll say that the S30V microchips, the 20CV, XHP, and generic German stainless get edge deformation (shiny flat edges) and the 3V (the thinnest behind the edge of them all) takes the least damage. The 3V is standard high tempered, so I'd be really curious for somebody to make a Delta 3V kitchen knife. As happy as I am with regular 3V I might not notice any difference but it would be fun to compare them. Since I use kitchen knives every day it would give me the best chance to evaluate the Delta 3V. I could do with a really good paring knife if anybody is listening. ;)

My kitchen knives are made of the very finest (and unnamed :rolleyes:) German stainless steel.

I could use an upgrade in materials and design!

Interesting observations Fancier Fancier

Back