survive knives gso-5.1/6 alternative?

I am looking for an alternative to the survive knives gso-5.1 or 6. The Bradford Guardian 4.5 seems like a nice start except I prefer a 5'' to 6" blade. M390 or 3v also preferred. Any suggestions ?

The lionsteel M5 and M7 are similar in design to the gso 5.1 and 6. There are many makers who make similar shaped knives

I know its just 1095 steel but the ESEE 6 is an amazing knive and is also a similar design

The lionsteels are what I had in mind also. I don't think there are too many doing M390 in a larger blade but there are a few. 3V is much easier to find.

I really like LT Wright's offerings but it is a different look than survive. The bushcrafter Mark II with a high saber grind should be about what you're looking for there but the steel is probably A2. You may be able to ask the folks at LT if they would do a custom one in 3V but the fit and finish of LT's knives are worth it, IMO. The Gen 3 is available in 3V but it's a 6.5" blade. The forest trail is pretty close at 5" and available in 3V. I can't seem to find the forum supporting knife vendors so I'm not going to post links but if you do a google search you should get a few options of these knives. LT does a few exclusive models to different retailers so you may need to do a little digging but I don't think you would need to do too much.

The swamp rat ratmandu isn't too far off and the SR-101 will act similarly to CPM-3V except it will be less corrosion resistant by a noticeable margin. Amazingly comfortable handle.

The new BK-62 may be an interest but it's certainly less "survival" oriented but has some of the same basic geometry of the survive but should do everything better except baton. And it's 1/2 the price. BHQ and knifecenter have it in stock right now.

Carothers hdfk would likely be my top choice to replace a 5.1. Build quality is equal or better and the steel used is top notch for the application.

Back