Survive! Knives Heads Up

I said this in the other threads about availability. Not trying to beat a dead horse but this is economics 101. The guys who can manage to get the GSO's are making a killing in the secondary market. New GSO5.1 on the auction site was $325 last time I looked and even had a bid on it already. The other current one is up to $265 and it has 5 days left on the auction.

I just bought a GSO 5 and a GSO 4.1 in M390 (that knife is two years old right?), both used, and the 5 is a 2nd, and I paid a considerable amount over full retail for 1st rates to get them.

Too bad that money couldn't go to the newlyweds starting a small business from scratch and having availability issues. I'm just sayin'.......... (again)

I totally agree. It chaps my hide seeing these guys only buying the knives to make a profit off of them when there are a bunch of guys missing out on the opportunity to buy them first hand. I'm hoping there'll be enough knives for everyone in the future so the secondary market will finally drop and there won't be any wannabe secondary storefront sellers.

Never knew that. Curious to see how it works.

I feel like I need to settle down here, but I'll make my closing remark......... whatever store you're at, you just pick up the card, tell the nice cashier what amount you need on the card, pay the amount plus $5 and you can pay paypal fees or buy anything online your little heart desires. There's no registration or anything, but you might have to go to the website on the card and enter a zip code. That is all to the process there is.

Haha I was reading this while watching a dateline murder story. Track phones etc. not unlike secret knife purchases haha. I will say if you can figure it out forte is a good guy and that's a sweet looking 4.1, I had to remind myself a few times that I already have two....

I listed that knife for a friend. I didn't make a dime. Just to set the record straight. :) Payment went directly to him.

Last edited:
I can honestly say that I think people who buy Survive! Knives are attracted to the value that S!K offers. What you get for around $200-$250 is equivalent to or better in quality than something you pay $350 or more for, like a Chris reeve, a busse, spartan blades and they crush strider fixed blades which go for way more than what they should. My point is that Survive! Buyers. Are somewhat frugal and any S!K on the exchange that has anything more than 10-15% markup has sat for a while. And right now is the perfect storm working against you. All the new spec knives are coming out. Your blade is definitely rare and nice, but I think everything is working against you. The time to sell it would have been right before all of the new 5.1s were delivered. I really hope you do get that thing sold. I am not trying to be negative.

No Problem Riz. Not negative at all.

Honestly I'm more curious than anything. I made comments to the effect of there should be a strong secondary market. I want to see if there is. I actually think it won't sell at that price either because it's priced out of the market most S!K customers are in. Last week I sold a CRK Pacific NIB for $300 so I'm perfectly aware that $100 more for S!K is a stretch. I don't think there are many S!K collectors out there yet.

As for the price, I think it's a perfectly fine user. I'm just picky.

I'm not going to lose money on it. I'll just throw it in my BOB or use it for something or other before I sell it at a loss.

I preordered a 3.5 to compliment my DLC 3.5 so this way I don't need to scratch it. I also just bought a small Sebenza 21 unique graphics that really spoke to me and I went and bought a large 21 with a beautiful raindrop Damascus variant ive been looking for for some time.

So that's enough for this week. On the bright side one less guy in line for the Monday sale now lol. I don't need 2 5.1s so maybe I'll preorder the 6!

Interesting topic I am enjoying reading about!
For such a young company to have highly desired early production models but at the same time been able to step up its design and build quality features is something pretty special.
I admit I like the old style handles for my hand fit but the new generation is really the highest quality knife I have ever owned especially at the price point they are sold at.
I wonder if those prototypes and pre-GSO line models will be like owning the first Winchesters before they were popular in a generation or two.

I think that you should hold onto the 5.1 until the new 5.1s are way out of production and then someone will jump on it again.

I wonder if those prototypes and pre-GSO line models will be like owning the first Winchesters before they were popular in a generation or two.

I'm much more of a CRK collector than any other brand so that's where the bulk of my experience is, but it's not uncommon for early production models, even ones that were not limited edition to sell today for multiples of thier original price. You can expect to pay 1-2k for rare ones without question. And that is over a couple decades, not generations.

So if S!K continues to build a strong following and people start to collect them in a meaningful way, and there is a market for it, then yes I expect early prototype, numbered editions, rare or otherwise no longer available items to fetch a premium. Even if they were not perfect and sometime even more so. One of the highest demand Sebenzas for a collector is a knife that has a mistake in it, one 6 were made and Chris kept one.

Now Guy just needs to continue on his path of excellence, maybe create something unique (in his folder perhaps), win some industry awards and build his brand. Then I expect the collectors side to grow.

Very good point. I have no problem putting it into the closet for another year as I have done in the past.

I only offered it because I felt someone would be able to apprecite it more than I do and that there was secondary market demand. In fact this is only the second knife I've ever made a thread about potentially selling before I chose to do so!

I think there are probably a few and I think many more people to come who recognize the path Guy is on, and start putting knives aside that have significance or are relevant points in the brands history to build collections.

I am just glad to have a little piece of the S/K! history, good luck on your 5.1 it is really nice.

Bring him something better than that

We're in Wisconsin, transporting beer is thirsty work, so the better stuff rarely makes it to delivery ;)

(not my pic, but brewed nearby)

bh031811a.jpg

Back