Survive! Knives - My journey so far

On Christmas Day 2013 I ordered my first ever quality fixed blade, a S!K GSO 4.1. It arrived early in 2013, and since then I've been a fan. Only the more I used my 4.1, the more I wondered if the 5.0 handle may fit my XL hands better, so by March I had saved up my Bugs Bunnies* and put it aside for when they next become available. 11 months later, and I've found myself getting increasingly annoyed. Only its not the waiting thats doing it, its reading the 1st Friday updates! Here what happened over the last 10 months, the first two columns taken from the newsletter archive.

* moneys

DateProduction UpdateIn My Brain
May 2014GSO-5: These blades should be done soon. Luckily, they use the same handles as the GSO-5.1 and we have a few sheaths leftover from the last run.Wow, that IS lucky. Soon is good, and I've only been waiting 3 months. Ripper!
June 2014GSO-5: Blades are nearing the end of production and should be done around the same time as their sheaths.Wow, nearing the end, that's even better than soon. AND I'll be able to order a sheath, cool. I'm getting pretty excited now.
July 2014GSO-5: Blades are at the end of production and should be here soon.OK, soon is still good, near the end is still good, surely they can't be long now?
August 2014GSO-5: It is looking like these will also be available towards the end of September, as our suppliers get caught up.Wow, a date, September, thats next month, hooray! My zen munk like patience has paid off.
September 2014GSO-5: These will be ready shortly after the Limited Edition Scandi GSO-4.1What? Wait. Umm... What happened to 'towards the end of September'? I don't want a scandi, I don't even want another 4.1. Who are all these queue jumpers that want these strange short single bevels??
October 2014GSO-5: These will be ready shortly after the Limited Edition Scandi GSO-4.1Those bloody scandi lovers...
November 2014GSO-5: These will be ready shortly after the Limited Edition Scandi GSO-4.1.OK, yep, I knew that.
December 2014GSO-5: These will be ready shortly after the Limited Edition Scandi GSO-4.1.Are you guys taking the piss? Is the newsletter writer just copy and pasting last months update?f Is ANYTHING getting done?
January 2015GSO-5: These will be ready shortly after the Limited Edition Scandi GSO-4.1.F a r. K o n. H e c k. Why should such a short bevel take such a long, long time??
February 2015Toward the end of this month the GSO-3.5s are going to be available again.
The GSO-4.1 Scandi, GSO-5 and GSO-7/7 will be along a few weeks later.
A few weeks later? That's like April, wow, that'll be over a 12 month wait. My Zen Monk like patience is wavering. Doubt has come uninvited. What if I don't even like it? Which is harder, this large river rock or my head? I'll do a test, science must prevail, Aahhhh!!!

I know there was a Idaho sweep and scout trip, a packup, move, unpack, new website etc in all there as well, but come on. My once Zen Monk like state is now closer to where I may voluntary commit myself into somewhere that they may never let me leave.

So fellas, is this all just me?

Last edited:
In April 2014 I passed on the SK4's because I believed the SK5 would be available soon.
Later on I passed on a deal for a Gossman S7 tusker because I would get one of the survive S7 knives.
At this moment I 'm assuming the soonest would be end of 2015.

Waiting on a GSO-5 with all the announcements would be much harder :(

Last edited:
That is a very organized and detailed table... you've clearly put a little thought into this topic =)

I don't think it's just you. Ellie has mention that Guy can be a little too optimistic when making predictions of release dates.

Seeing the updates listed like this and reading your thoughts, I think I've gone through a similar mental process.

Part of me wanted to be an angry consumer and feel that I'm entitled and they "owe me a product to buy". Since I gave up on that mind set, I realize they are just 2 people working hard to continue to create the best products they can to their own high standards. We know they're not intentionally stringing us along, they're a business and they want to sell products. They're a business of 2 people and only one of them hand sharpens every single blade.

You did mention all the things that have slowed down production such as the big move and new website. I cant imagine to know all the other factors that have caused delays.

Have you looked at the trade section on bladeforums or other online auction sites for GSO's? It seems like people are obtaining new S!K knives every week through means such as these. Personally, my SURVIVE! knife will be the most expensive single blade I'll ever buy, so I'm choosing to wait and buy one directly from Guy. If you just want a 5 sooner, keep your eyes open.

Good luck!

EDIT: This thread has been on my mind more today and Nate's post sounds a lot like what I've been thinking. Ellie checks in on the forum, updates the Facebook page, sends monthly newsletters and always responds to my annoying emails, and now the new site gives an idea of when out of stock blades will be available. What they've never done has made excuses.

I don't actually know how TOPS or Kabar operate, but I imagine they have teams of people working on knives, have a lot of finished products in stock and a wide network of vendors. It is easy for customers to be used to this. Maybe the biggest compliment to SURVIVE! is that they cannot keep knives in stock. Ever.

Guy is living the American dream. He started a company to make a one of a kind product that he believes in and he and Ellie are putting their all into it.

Lastly, we don't think you're an asshole, Ellie.

Last edited:
Things happen slowly in S!K world.
At least you have a 4.1 to keep you company until more are available. I waited about 3 weeks for my factory 2nd 4.1 to be shipped and it seemed like forever, so I feel you.

But seriously, there's just nothing you or any of can do about it. The thing hasn't been created yet, so you can't purchase it yet. Simple as that.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't expecting someone to call us out on this topic. I've definitely felt like an asshole when putting together those newsletters. I can only give estimates based on the information I have at the time.

Long story short, this young company has taken a lot of hits. We are still in business for two reasons: 1) Luck. We have been very fortunate to have people who have been willing and able to help us through hard times. 2) Sheer stubbornness. As Silver mentioned, there are only 2 of us and we are both doing everything in our power to get knives produced as quickly as we can.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't expecting someone to call us out on this topic. I've definitely felt like an asshole when putting together those newsletters. I can only give estimates based on the information I have at the time.

Long story short, this young company has taken a lot of hits. We are still in business for two reasons: 1) Luck. We have been very fortunate to have people who have been willing and able to help us through hard times. 2) Sheer stubbornness. As Silver mentioned, there are only 2 of us and we are both doing everything in our power to get knives produced as quickly as we can.

Don't kid yourself Ellie, it's got nothing to do with luck. You guys are around still because you make a no bullshit product that's tough as nails and delivers on all promises. I'll keep complaining but I will also keep buying :cool:

Last edited:
Don't kid yourself Ellie, it's got nothing to do with luck. You guys are around still because you make a no bullshit product that's tough as nails and delivers on all promises. I'll keep complaining but I will also keep buying :cool:

We complain because we know how good your knives are and we want them so bad.

To add to what Poromenos said, you and Guy might be behind your timelines, but you have the best customer service out there! You have treated me and everyone else that has called and emailed over and over more like a friend than a paying customer. I have run a small company and I can understand how outside circumstances change timelines. You guys don't make excuses you just keep trying to get better. Your honesty and service keep me coming back. I hate waiting, but I know the knife I'm getting will be perfect when it gets to me.

Keep up the good work! We will keep buying!

Nate

Last edited:
Come on guys, give Guy and Ellie a break. S!K is doing relative well if you compare them with other full time knife makers.

Sure we will get impatient once in while but it also gives others a chance to save some money to own such an awesome knife.

-Peace out

I think most posters have understood my intent. I tip my hat to Elle & Guy. I must admit I didn't know there were only only two of them until now. Small business is tough, and small manufacturing even tougher. I've waited this long only because I'm sure a 5.0 is what I want.

Only sometimes waiting is easier than others, so I come here for some understanding & solidarity, not to whinge or attack.

I too have found their service to be good. And honesty, the old website was abit shite when it came to purchasing, so it'll be better for everyone if S!K have now got that right.

Carry on S!K, improving your knives, customer experience and maybe one day, even the wait times. I wish you the best of luck with it.

Meanwhile, I'll keep reading my Zen Monk for Dummies book.

Starting to hear the words FanBoy when hearing SK.
I gave up on buying a survive knife cause it seems like a game to get one. :jerkit: Heard similar quotes from some harduse outdoor peeps this weekend.

Starting to hear the words FanBoy when hearing SK.
I gave up on buying a survive knife cause it seems like a game to get one. :jerkit: Heard similar quotes from some harduse outdoor peeps this weekend.

Really? It's two people making very sought after knives. Of course they aren't going to keep up with their demand but where does "fanboy" come from? The proof is in the pudding, son. Just because it's hard for you to get one doesn't make it a game, it's simple supply and demand.

If their knives didn't work, or were not worth it, they wouldn't be selling out every production run.

Fanboy was referring to the people who have 15 unused SK knives sitting at home/ armchair survivalist. I still like there knives but have moved on.

I like to imagine the extremely loyal and patient customer base also has something to do with it :p

Your knives are a smash hit, so if luck and sheer stubbornness are the only 2 factors keeping you in business, I gotta admit, that's pretty surprising. The GSO line really couldn't be any MORE popular, could it?
So you're saying that even if you have an incredibly popular and in-demand product, you can still go out of business?? I'm sure you don't wanna discuss it in detail, but what's the problem??

The price point seems pretty right on, so is it just the lack of production capability, or..?
Just can't seem to make enough knives?

You guys have busted ass against all odds. Being a small business owner I understand the challenges of operating honestly to a quality of work you can barely sleep to. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the transparency of those communications. They really give me a heads up of what I'm about to drop on your latest gear as well as a chance to give friends a heads up so they can save up. Your loyal customers are loyal because of your upfront communications and tireless dedication to quality. Don't ever apologize for consumerist types, they'll never appreciate your work.

Survive is a very small company with loyal customers, wildly popular knives, and a close following on the forums.
That means their production runs sell out faster than you can say "I love 3V!" :D

Now, I've only been actively hunting for Survive! Knives for about 6 months. In that time with a little luck, perseverance and funds being available, I've been able to score a GSO-3.5, 4.1, & 5.1. Not too shabby considering they all came directly from Survive! at issue price, and I scored all of them from Sept. - Oct. 2014.

We knifenuts can be an obsessive lot, and sometimes ya just gotta take a breath and wait it out for a blade you REALLY want. Yes, I know waiting sucks.
Would I like my GSO-7/7 and GSO-10 and GSO-12 right now? Sure I would, but they're doing the best they can with the build capacity they have.

Me, I'm going to be right here, eagerly awaiting their future releases, and pouncing on every release that I like and can afford. ;)

Keep up the good work Guy & Ellie!! :thumbup:

Last edited:
I'm just curious to know what the business looks like behind the scenes / on paper.
We know the knives fly off the shelves. We know it's a small operation with a good deal of time going into the production of each unit, but this talk of almost going out of business is disconcerting....

How can a company whose products so rapidly sell out be anywhere close to failing??
Obviously production is an issue... Is this mostly do to the low number of employees, or the fact that a lot of it depends on 3rd parties...?
Hopefully the new shop in ID gives you guys plenty of room to grow, expand and maybe bring some of those 3rd party duties in-house, which I assume would result in a shorter turn-around.

I don't know anything about manufacturing or owning a business, but I assumed the difficulties Ellie mentioned had to do with starting up and obtaining large amounts of super steel and other materials while also searching for the best handles and sheaths and coatings and designs partly through trial and error. I have nothing to back that up, just my assumption.

Yes, people have expressed unhappiness with preorders and wait times, but I have not seen a bad review of a S!K blade yet. Seriously, all reviews are very positive about all aspects of Guy's knives.

I agree with evlcat, when there is a small company making knives that every one loves, you're bound to have these supply and demand issues.

Check the exhange ever? No games just good people. :D

I had a add but was getting fanboy pms offering knives above the value.
In actuality I would not have started making knives myself if I would have been able to get 5.
I will pick one up eventually just to support the company and put some bush time on it.

Last edited:

3) You guys make an awesome product that is worth every penny.

I kid you not, my absolute favorite knife in my collection that I have used probably more than any other knife at this point (and I've beaten them up a fair amount) is my 4.1

That thing is an absolute hammer and feels like the perfect size to me. It's fantastic.

Back