Survive! knives

I am starting this thread so we can discuss Survive knives, their design, and their use.

Please keep feedback about purchasing, delivery, and communication in other threads.

I created this one because the other is closed.

I would love to see some gso x vs gso y comparisons and mods to the knives themselves. Some reviews of 3rd party sheaths would be awesome also.

Rounding over the corner of the handle above the lanyard hole is my latest mod to the GSO 6. I must say that I am very pleased with the results. I went a little at a time until it melted in my hand. I also removed some material behind the edge thinning things out a bit. This made a big difference in cutting ability. Since these mods I have grown quite fond of this blade. I thumped on it for a while and the edge is holding up fine. It really is amazing how thin this blade can be taken with no damage under reasonable hard use.

I cross battoned against the grain of these very hard pieces of fatwood to half them. Not even the slightest nick or ding.
DSC01773_zpsa4957deb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC01778_zps81daeb7f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC01776_zps09e0653a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC01775_zps678e2403.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC01777_zpsf68aeef8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC01779_zps4eae5f8d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
3V is something else, isn't it? Your knife looks like it'd be fun for the woods.

I'm looking forward to getting my 3.5 and seeing how the 20CV compares to my other 3V knives. I've never had any particular challenge keeping 3V rust-free and sharp, but I like the idea of something with a bit more edge retention and stainless too.

Anyone with 20CV experience care to share? I've seen the videos and cringed when Guy does his stabbing and prying stuff but the knives seem more than up to the task.

Do you think that sheet could handle a gso 5.1 or 6?

If it is the same "universal" knife sheath they sent me as a sample, the answer is no. It just fits a GSO-4.1 as far as height and blade thickness allowances are concerned and jamming anything larger in there blows the two halves of the liner apart.

-Guy

Really nice looking mods! I especially like some of those things you did around the pommel and guard, to get it dialed in for your hand. It is really nice to see people getting some good use out of their tools.

-Guy

Rounding over the corner of the handle above the lanyard hole is my latest mod to the GSO 6. I must say that I am very pleased with the results. I went a little at a time until it melted in my hand. I also removed some material behind the edge thinning things out a bit. This made a big difference in cutting ability. Since these mods I have grown quite fond of this blade. I thumped on it for a while and the edge is holding up fine. It really is amazing how thin this blade can be taken with no damage under reasonable hard use.

I cross battoned against the grain of these very hard pieces of fatwood to half them. Not even the slightest nick or ding.
DSC01773_zpsa4957deb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC01778_zps81daeb7f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC01776_zps09e0653a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC01775_zps678e2403.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC01777_zpsf68aeef8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC01779_zps4eae5f8d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I actually much prefer the default Kydex sheath that came with the knife, the Tactical Tailor is for a 6 inch blade.. I knew it when I bought it (on sale), but my 4.1 fits very snugly due to Tact. Tail. using some kind of felt like materiel just inside the kydex sheath (within the Multicam) which keeps the blade very snugly in place, completely from moving around.
It fits on a Rush 12 Multicam pack I have.

Last edited:
Do you think that sheet could handle a gso 5.1 or 6?

The Spec-ops sheath I have my Hinderer Fieldtac in (5-3/4" blade, tip to handle - essentially the same length as the GSO-5.1) fits the -5.1, and has about 1 to 1-1/4" to spare so it might fit the GSO-6. I can't say for sure since I don't have the -6.

I've been eyeballing the Sagewood Gear leather sheaths for my -5.1 and -4.1s, anyone have any experience with them? They look awesome, I particularly like the idea of a kydex insert inside a leather shell.

Oh yeah, almost forgot - spent a little time today splitting up a bunch of kindling with the GSO-10 and 5.1 today. A hatchet works, but it's just so much more fun to use the knives ;)

Really nice looking mods! I especially like some of those things you did around the pommel and guard, to get it dialed in for your hand. It is really nice to see people getting some good use out of their tools.

-Guy
Thanks bro,
I'm glad you are not offended by my adjustments. I can't help it, I tinker with everything. Most of the time it works out. Other times.... not so good.

Sandpaper?
1x30, I rounded and shaped the micarta by hand a little at a time as I went.
Sandpaper will work if you have the right grits and patience.

EDIT: Everytime I removed a little material off the back it would square up the micarta.
I had to blend it back in and feel it for a few to decide if I should I move on. I stopped when it felt right, I think I nailed it.

Last edited:
I've been eyeballing the Sagewood Gear leather sheaths for my -5.1 and -4.1s, anyone have any experience with them? They look awesome, I particularly like the idea of a kydex insert inside a leather shell.
;)

I have to say I really love mine!!! It has good thick leather an a strong belt loop that stays in place when you pull it out unlike some of the cheap ones.. I have one for my GSO 4.1 an waiting on a GSO 5. I carry mine everyday all day an I sometime forget that its even there. The only time it really gets in the way is when I set down or getting in out of the truck/car. I think a dangler setup would work better so I ordered the dangler setup for my Sagewood Gear sheath this week Ill let you know how it pans out.The Survive/Sagewood Gear dangler worked great also.

Last edited:
Not offended in the slightest! I actually take it as a compliment that you like the knife enough to spend the time to personalize it that much. And it looks awesome, double win.

Thanks bro,
I'm glad you are not offended by my adjustments. I can't help it, I tinker with everything. Most of the time it works out. Other times.... not so good.

Crazyfingers - thanks for the words and the pics! I may just pull the trigger on a couple of sheaths.. I do have danglers for the kydex sheaths and like them a lot.

Guy - great to see you here, thanks for taking the time - best of luck to you!

The GSO 10 on a fatwood adventure with a ton of splitting.

We had a little rain on the trail

DSC01786_zps10c58773.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC01782_zps386d0bdc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC01791_zpsa9af780b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC01780_zps1575fa7e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC01783_zpsa1f1121a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC01793_zpsac8b4366.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

A few swamp buggy's parked at the entrance.

DSC01794_zps383dba29.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC01796_zpsae23f10f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC01801_zps91cf69b4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This is from today.
After all this processing, I gave the GSO 10 about ten passes on each side of a loaded strop. Its not as screaming sharp as when I started but it still shaves and cuts cleanly through phone paper. What more could you ask from a knife?

DSC01802_zpsfac16e54.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back