Survive! Sheaths and standard attachments that fit them

Hard Knocks

Gold Member
I know Guy or Ellie mentioned something about sheaths awhile back, but I can't seem to find it or remember exactly what was said. Will Kiah keep producing these, or is there a change coming with upscaled production? Someone bring me up to speed please!

I would love to see this as well. It's hard to round up everything in one place. I'm going to have to look over the 5.1 and 3.5 sheaths to see if the holes or slots line up with some attachments that are out there. Maybe we should have a thread on what we have found on the market that attaches to survive sheaths.

Well, hopefully everyone already knows about my extension piece (see my signature or the give-away thread hereabouts).

I'd been making kydex firesteel holders as well from the scraps - 3" x 1.2" folded over - but I'm out of material and don't have the funds to order more just now, hopefully soon if i sell enough of these extensions.
If you have a bit of kydex, a drill, a heat-gun, and a clamp, they're pretty easy to make yourself.

P1010612.JPG

An alternative is to cut a 3" length from a 1.2" belt and drill holes on either side so that it folds around your firesteel or whathaveyou (the one below are drilled 3/4" o.c. on either end):

WPUsbD-QpOr6YorPrrXsTHyzpkGLiNyle8X1070JSKY=w1280-h960-no

Kiah's sheaths, with the slots, allow for a lot of after-market attachments including the Tek-Lok and the AB-3 clip from Armory Plastics (http://www.armoryplastics.com/belt-clip/) and other clip-attachments.

Armory Plastics also makes the holder for the Tops Piggyback firesteel: http://www.topsknives.com/product_info.php?products_id=355

tops-fire-starter-piggy-back-fspb-sheath-large.jpg

The intent is for users to drill a second hole to fit the spacing on their sheath and then cut it shorter if desired. I've been in contact with them (they also make the ESEE sheaths and some for Buck and Tops) and I know that they could make these holders to fit other firesteels or sharpeners, but they work in batches so you'd need to order quite a few.

For pouches, I know the ESEE pouch fit the previous GSO-5.1 sheath, as did the MOLLE-back. For other pouches, I'm usually lazy and either use cord to tie it on or cut a piece of kydex or leather to a suitable length (like those leather holders above) and drill holes where appropriate. It'd be awesome if Survive! was able to offer pouches through their webstore, but they have enough keeping up with the products they DO offer :D Guy's company needs more revenue and employees... hence the starter!

There are a lot of kydex-benders around BF - Halestorm and Azwelke and Dave Brown and Mashed Cat as well as Kiah. Each and every one of them could certainly make accessories that would work, but my honest hope is that Survive! starts offering accessories like these direct through their website :thumbup: Kiah makes an awesome sheath, i know he can make these attachments as well.

Good information there CG! The esee pouch attachment I hadn't been able to confirm yet myself. HaleStorm frequents here. I've dropped a note in a thread or two for him to check out some of the sheaths by another maker and maybe let us know his take or willingness to build or supply some of that stuff. I've not sent any PMs though. I tried to check out Kiah's website to see if he offers any attachments, but it appears it is down for maintenance.

I'm going to amend the title of this thread. We've got some good information started here, rather than starting a new one.

Thanks for the information. I have leather so will see what I can cook up. If someone starts pumping out some good attachments that fit standard Survive sheath sizes I would be in.

I only joined the forum yesterday and I've followed it very irregularly for year or so prior, so please my brothers in arms, don't yell at me if this has been discussed to death in other threads...I'm a crier, and I mean the tears flow easily. So, I've thought about purchasing one of Chiral's creations, or simply seeing which one of my existing leather sheaths best houses the 3.5 that arrived Monday....and then I realized that the sheath provided, while it rides super high in the standard configuration, rides perfectly low/out of the way if I move the clip to the top of the sheath and let the 3.5 ride upside-down off my belt...which I think will be ok given it's great retention. So, that's what I'm doing now and I'm loving it. I never carry knives this way, but it was a free and quick fix and I actually think it's pretty cool this way.

So anyhow, I know I didn't just discover something here....I'm more just sharing my feelings, feelings of happiness, with you guys...because I'm not emotionally secure enough to share them with my wife and or children. Great, now I'm crying.

Yes, thanks for pointing that out. I carry some blades that way or oriented for a down-sweeping draw with baldric carry. Makes for a very natural and quick-to-hand draw.

I always flip the clip over to gain that extra drop. I might have to try it your way though!

Upside-down on your belt? I never tried that, but it should certainly be secure. The NeckerII rides easily upside down, though my first inclination with the clips was pocket-carry:

IjhaTyWqrIJkKrzjxm2whEZNQKVY3o2yYtnWTsLH0Ic=w767-h758-no
be6l8oahYCDk0h_vY2Uapju3lLP6Z2T_Bs3VIub7D8I=w709-h758-no

P1020282.JPG
P1020284.JPG

Great, now I'm crying.
There, there little one. Get all those tears out, it's ok.

The only way I can picture the clip flipped seems very precarious. Anyone have pics?

Chiral, I like necker II on the front strap of your pack. Super easy access and I bet you don't even notice it until you need it.

Good information there CG! The esee pouch attachment I hadn't been able to confirm yet myself. HaleStorm frequents here. I've dropped a note in a thread or two for him to check out some of the sheaths by another maker and maybe let us know his take or willingness to build or supply some of that stuff. I've not sent any PMs though. I tried to check out Kiah's website to see if he offers any attachments, but it appears it is down for maintenance.

Wordpress kept getting hijacked with spam redirects, so I just took the site down since I'm not really taking custom orders anyway and it was getting pretty annoying. It's sitting in a folder on my desktop at the moment, so I'll put it back up at some point.

On attachments and what not, I don't really know. Put the slots in mainly to give options with TLs, but not sure of a complete list of what'll fit in what positions. Most things that attach to one side should work I imagine. Just use washers (at least with conical screw heads) or put the post end out so the slot doesn't get deformed. I'll try to look at some spacing on things and maybe adjust the slot size if need be.

As far as belt attachment goes, I remain loyal to paracord.

Wordpress kept getting hijacked with spam redirects, so I just took the site down since I'm not really taking custom orders anyway and it was getting pretty annoying. It's sitting in a folder on my desktop at the moment, so I'll put it back up at some point.

Hello sir. Thanks for posting. It appeared that technical difficulties were the problem when I checked. No big deal at all, I just didn't have any idea if there might be some stuff there we were missing.

On attachments and what not, I don't really know. Put the slots in mainly to give options with TLs, but not sure of a complete list of what'll fit in what positions. Most things that attach to one side should work I imagine. Just use washers (at least with conical screw heads) or put the post end out so the slot doesn't get deformed. I'll try to look at some spacing on things and maybe adjust the slot size if need be.

I think it is great that you use the slots, a very nice feature!! Also I would like to say that the fit with your sheaths on the Survive! blades I've had is best described as "just right." :thumbup: :thumbup:

There, there little one. Get all those tears out, it's ok.

The only way I can picture the clip flipped seems very precarious. Anyone have pics?

Chiral, I like necker II on the front strap of your pack. Super easy access and I bet you don't even notice it until you need it.

Like this....
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435795686.532846.jpg

I haven't had one come loose at all in over 6 months and I carry one almost all day. It's also easier for me to pull the clip back with me thumb to remove it.

Kiah! Thank you for stopping by our little neighborhood. I really love your work on the GSO sheaths. :thumbup:

Can you say how you like to use paracord with sheaths and belts?

Back