survivor knife

Let's say you were picked to go on the cbs show survivor, the current one. You can take one "luxury item" and I think most of the guys on this board would HAVE to take a blade of some sort. Which would it be and why? Remember, this knife would be called on to do possibly anything and everything, from kitchen utility to supplying shelter. Let's here it guys.

Id like to have the Chris Reeve hollow handle survival ( cant remember what its called right now), Id get the seven inch blade with a clip point ad a sheath with a stone and /or ceramic rod

I guess it would depend on what environment you'd be "surviving" or attempting to survive in.....

As for me, my first inclination is a Randall model 18 along with a ByrdSpear and then a Leatherman tool in my pocket...that should just about do it!:p

I'd go the other way. The show is filmed over a 39 day period. No matter what the setting, the environment is either wet or dirty and not even the contestants get really clean, much less the tools. Safety is not a real issue, I don't think the producers would let anything really bad happen, but there were some lions that came too close on one occasion. A knife in that case would be marginal for defense.

I received a freebie cheapo knife as a gimmee when I bought a premium knife. This knife can get a sharp edge, but it's the construction that's important for this debate. The blade, handle, liner lock, screws and pocket clip are all stainless steel--you could probably swim with it. I'd guess the blade is a Chinese version of AUS-6, it could be sharpened on a flat rock. It's light.

No matter how cheap, it could cut for 39 days. Then when the show is over, it goes right into the garbage can.

Heck, Ichabod --

Because it was on the show, that cheap knife would be worth big $$$!!!

I would auction it on Ebay and use the proceeds to buy really good blades for our soldiers over in Afghanistan, who can't afford them on their paychecks. They can do their jobs better, stay safer, and have a better chance of coming home.

Best,

Brian.

Ichabod,
I would bring my HI YCS Khukuri with me. It is an awsome chopper and comes with two Karda (smaller knives) and an awl. All in one sheath. That one setup will cover anyones knive needs for any period of time!!

I would take my SOG Seal 2000. That knife was MADE for things like this! If I felt that I needed a larger knife, it would be my SOG Tigershark, as that monster could also be used to chop-down small trees to build shelter with.:).

To Brian Jones, you're right. I forgot that artifacts from the show could fetch dollars on E-Bay. I like your idea for the charity.

To ArchAngel, yes, a khukri would be a great jungle implement. I have a real Army of Nepal khukri, and you could never break the thing. When I read the initial post, it said "personal item." I think the show provides the basic stuff, and machetes seem to show up in every show. I was thinking of more of a jackknife for common personal chores and maybe cooking.

my choices would be a khukri or one of the SOG SEAL knives...

after 39days 'in the wilderness' *koff* *koff* without anything to take care of your blade with... it'll probably be in a really bad state and only of value to memorablia collectors on eBay.

These knives are cheap enough to be replaced easily, no worries there... If I had a Randall or a Chris Reeve... hehehe I'd leave it at home.

If I am not allowed a multitool or SAK, then one of these in no particular order of preference:

TOPS Border Crossing
http://store.yahoo.com/topsknivesstore/bordercrossing.html

If I was only allowed a smaller fixed blade, then this is the one: tough as nails, small enough to handle all utility, skinning, and kitchen tasks, but stout enough to pry, hammer, use a baton to chop with it. 1/4" thick, 4.5" blade, but razor edge. 154CM, CRYO heat-treated to 58-60 Rc. Fat, contoured, linen micarta handles, small skull crusher, kydex multi-position sheath with rotating spring metal clip. Great back-up fighter, indexes superbly in reverse grip.

Or these:

TOPS B.E.S.T. (Black Eagle Strike Team) 5010:
http://store.yahoo.com/topsknivesstore/bestbe5010t.html

7" blade with 6.25" cutting edge. Same materials construction as above. The humpback shape gives it the chopping power of a big 10", but the handle and balance make it a great back-up fighter. The handle on this one has to be felt to be believed, and the large finger choil makes control during smaller tasks superb. The Tanto version, which I have, feels like a meat cleaver that slides down to a razor edge. With the weight of the blade, I just touched a piece of cardboard nad the weight of the blade, combined with the geometry, made it slide down through so fast I almost didn't catch it on the other end before it hit my leg! Even though it's sabre ground, the ground out area is wide enough to be like a flat grind on most other blades. That's because the whole blade is so wide from humpback to edge. My nickname for this knife is Moby, of course.

Gotta run to a meeting, but when I come back, i'll post about the Simonich Raven, and the Becker CU-7 as well!

~B.

Robert Parrish Survivor that is, with Gerber tool & Firesteel in the sheath pouch & fat lighter in the hollow handle.

Victorinox Huntsman, Camper, Rucksack or Forester. They have a nice blade that's easily resharpened in the field, a great saw, some other not so functional tools for the limited resources, plus a toothpick and tweezers.

Every episode of this show, regardless of location, has shown tasks made difficult by the blades they had, which would have been easily accomplished with the Vic's smaller blades and saw.

Mike

Ditto on the Steel Heart. It would be good to see a real knife on the program...

Mike

Camillus Magnum Camp.Watch those boars run and the trees quiver.;)

Back